Active Topics

Warning: Dumb question ahead.

I'm looking at buying a shiny new N9 64 GB, but at the same time considering buying an Android. I'm not insanely app crazy, but I wan't something that's a little snappier than my N8 and has higher resolution for web browsing and such. I also like the quality of mics for voice recording and such that Nokia tends to use.

At $300+ is it still a good investment even though dual/quadcore Androids can be had for the same price or in some cases much less? I know this is a Maemo/Meego forum so there'll be some bias, but can you guys give me some pros and cons of both platforms in 2013?

The Following User Says Thank You to deathbyguitar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
see the Marko Ahtisaari presentation. Singapore June 2011.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
I ordered a brand new N9 for $249 from Hong Kong, which should arrive in two weeks or so. I thought of buying a Samsung Galaxy Note II or S3, but the price of either of the two is north of $500. Also I can install NitDroid on N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to ch88xy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
A n9? Are you crazy? Wait for Jolla, tizen, ubuntu!

If they don't fit your needs? Well at the time you will get Note ll very cheap since GSlV is in the market and Note lll on the way.

But if you get the n9 for around $250 you can use it for 6 month and then upgrade. But that depends on your finances.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-24 at 20:52.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
I already have an iPad 3, a HP Slate 500 with Windows 7, and three Android tablets with ICS. I don't necessarily need another Android device. What I really want is iPhone 5 with its unique built-in dictionaries (I use this function on iPad to read 5 or 6 foreign languages), but no way I am paying $650 for it. I would also be interested in a Lumia 920, but again the price is north of $600.

The Following User Says Thank You to ch88xy For This Useful Post:
I would say - wait for Jolla's device, but they didn't announce any definitive dates yet, so it can take a while. It can come soon too - you never know. So if you have resources and don't mind getting N9 and Jolla's device later as well - get N9 now, otherwise - better wait.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-01-24 at 21:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 376 | Thanked: 257 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Sweden
I would go for an N9. I bought one for a couple a months ago for about 400 USD, it was a 64GB one, and I love the phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to setter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
Nokia N9 fell from 16th floor balcony ...and was indeed intact.
And, I still hope for the N9 from the Coding Competition to arrive, even though replacement N950 are already offered. I am wondering what happens if both N9 and N950 arrive... at the same time...
Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
Android devices are highly configurable game consoles. N9 is a smartphone. Also N9 supports Android.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artyom For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
If you need convincing by others, buying an outdated but nevertheless very cool phone, I would say an Android device is probably more suitable for you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokian9nitroid