Active Topics

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
I have fancied the use of NFC ever since I found out about it in the N9. I bought tags (MIFARE ULC) and I try to find use for them (besides checking in on Foursquare, which is cool).
Some other interesting uses i found was control of hardware and profiles. I noticed no one on this forum has really shown any interest into NFC besides using it for payments (which is awesome but not going to be easy in the US even after having a Secure element with a SWP connection the chip, operators, banks and phone makers (google) have yet to slug it out on who gets the revenue). That aside What i really want to do is be able to turn on bluetooth automatically by scanning a Tag when i get in my car or make my phone silent at work by scanning a TAG, turn on wifi by scanning a Tag? etc. I am not lazy but that would just be plain awesome.
Is this possible to do through a daemon that runs on the N9 through QT development like through DoAction? Or is that something Nokia keeps locks on? since clearly that could easily be a problem than a solution!

Last edited by balisingh; 2012-03-14 at 06:59.

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
After watching the promo video of Sony's Smarttags, I also though if this same feature is possible on N9, better yet write profiles you want on an old rfid card and use them instead of buying those smarttags. I hope we will get something similar

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
After watching the promo video of Sony's Smarttags, I also though if this same feature is possible on N9, better yet write profiles you want on an old rfid card and use them instead of buying those smarttags. I hope we will get something similar
Ya, its also possible on android, but android doesnt give a boot about security.

Those Tags were like 50cents each.

Last edited by balisingh; 2012-03-14 at 06:56.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
The main issue might be that the N950, which many developers have, does not support NFC.

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by balisingh View Post
Who cares about the developers and their n950s. We can develop for the N9.
lol they are mainly the ones developing apps/tools for N9, therefore....

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
The main issue might be that the N950, which many developers have, does not support NFC.
Many but not all* devs have only the N950.
I like this concept too, it'd be great if it took-off.

*probably not even most.

I've bought a few tags off EBay to play with when they arrive.

Given that the Play360 speakers do bluetooth toggling and pairing (nice speaker BTW) it should be perfectly possible to control the N9 with NFC tags. I'd also like to be able to toggle bluetooth getting in/out of a car.

The only issue I see is that the N9 tag writers so far don't seem to support tasks like the Android and Blackberry apps. Some fiddling may be required... or finding someone with Android NFC Task Launcher to program the tags....

Last edited by WhitP; 2012-03-31 at 22:48. Reason: typos

This sounds awesome! If this thing got working then there will be more possibilities using NFC. I love to see this on N9 & show others what my N9 can do!!

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
n.b. Rodrigo Linfati's "NFC Tag Writer" app in the store has a wizard to write a bluetooth audio tag for a non-nfc bluetooth headset.
And the NFC Interactor app lets you do a raft of super-advanced stuff, but you need a good grip on the NFC spec (which I can't claim to), or a lot of patience. There's free and paid versions in the store, but it's also open source, so...

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by balisingh View Post
I have fancied the use of NFC ever since I found out about it in the N9. I bought tags (MIFARE ULC) and I try to find use for them (besides checking in on Foursquare, which is cool).
Some other interesting uses i found was control of hardware and profiles. I noticed no one on this forum has really shown any interest into NFC besides using it for payments (which is awesome but not going to be easy in the US even after having a Secure element with a SWP connection the chip, operators, banks and phone makers (google) have yet to slug it out on who gets the revenue). That aside What i really want to do is be able to turn on bluetooth automatically by scanning a Tag when i get in my car or make my phone silent at work by scanning a TAG, turn on wifi by scanning a Tag? etc. I am not lazy but that would just be plain awesome.
Is this possible to do through a daemon that runs on the N9 through QT development like through DoAction? Or is that something Nokia keeps locks on? since clearly that could easily be a problem than a solution!
hello , maybe you can do what i dream to do ( my programing knowledment was too little ) is add the feature to profilematic ( http://store.ovi.com/content/216122 , https://github.com/ajalkane/profilematic ) is rule base in NFC tags read.

is exactly what are you want i think.

The Following User Says Thank You to e0x For This Useful Post: