Active Topics

Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
We are very committed to the community, but we will not stick to the Maemo 4 UI. If the Maemo 4 is a deal breaker for you, then I'm afraid we might loose you because we have redesigned the UI to appeal to more consumers including existing ones.
IMHO in terms of usability the Maemo UI peaked at 3.x. There were some great ideas there like modifying the UI behaviour according to stylus vs finger input, work being done for resolution independence and so on. I understand there were limitations in the touchscreen hardware of the time, but if those could be worked out somehow instead of abandoning tablet-style usage patterns a lot of customers would be much happier.

It's not quite a deal breaker for me because the underlying system is much better and more open now, and I can tolerate a bad UI up to a point. But given a choice I would definitely go for the UI that optimises the use of screen real estate and the number of taps needed to do things rather than the one with the eye candy.

This meant some compromises.
To say the least! The Maemo 5 UI looks appropriate for a phone, but also severely handicaped for anything larger like a tablet, MID or netbook. One size certainly does not fit all, and I suspect/hope we haven't seen the full story yet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
3.5" screens... ugg isn't that 99% of the cell phone market? Nokia's website shows 45 current phone models and one 810 tablet model... i guess that will be 46 phone models in the future.

As a phone its rather plain brick with powerful IO.... you removed your one distinguishing feature... the relatively voluminous screen for viewing web pages. Its no longer an internet centric device its a media and cellular device. The entire use-cases around a smaller screen centers cater more to consuming media than interacting with web or desktop apps.

So all prior tablets had to nearly pixel double media to overcome performance and now that performance has caught up and surpassed you pixel double the interface :P

I hope you surprise me with a 4.5+ inch tablet model with a sliding keyboard... not a clamshell netbook. If i go the route of a clamshell it will probably be pandora... or a vaio-p.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pipeline For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
[qole sarcasm]Yeah, 'cause their kernel alternatives were so nice and plentiful.[/qole sarcasm]

Let's name them: Palm, Symbian and WinMo.

They had no choice.
Apple, Archos and Google showed that you can start with an open kernel and still make a closed OS. Yes, I know Google opened Android, but their private little software architecture doesn't allow switching your interface to another one (like KDE, LXDE or Enlightenment) with very little effort. Maemo does this, because they're Linux all the way up, not just at the kernel level. And that was the point of my comment.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The tablets represented a unique class that, while bulkier than cell phones, were still within the realm of totability without adding the bulk of, say, a netbook.
Quite frankly, current tablets were neither fish nor meat. Too small to be really useful as a productivity device, too big to be taken whereever you go. And by now, they really just don't stand a chance as dedicated web-browsing devices against the newest smartphones which combine good enough web browsing with a ton of other features in a package just small enough to fit in a jeans pocket (which the current tablets certainly don't).

Even without data to back up that statement, I think I'm right when I say that the current three versions of the tablets have been complete commercial failures and the whole line was only kept alive as an R&D playground up to now. And on the other hand, things like the iPod Touch/iPhone have sold millions of units...it's really not hard to see why Nokia changes the tablet's premises.

Assuming that the the MobileCrunch article is accurate, this next-gen Maemo device will be a full smartphone, and I applaud Nokia's move to make it pocket-friendlier (and thus, actually usable as a smartphone). It's the first Maemo device I'd actually consider buying because it seems genuinely useful to me - while the N800/N810 were nice devices, but ultimatively nowhere near interesting enough for me to spend money on them.

And with that, I'm outta here. The negativity about an unannounced device on this board is both ridiculous and annoying, and it's continuously gotten worse in the last half year. A few members seem to be simply posting to point fingers on everything Nokia does and scream "CRAP" - and quite frankly, I really have no interest in this big whine fest once called ITT. Bye.

Last edited by chlettn; 2009-05-25 at 20:03.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chlettn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I am really confused.

I dont believe the rx-51 has gsm capability. We should have surely known if it had. No doubt. I have been following the tablets since 770 and never this big a thing was a surprise. So i really think the gsm part is just a rumour.
To me, it's not a surprise. If they're launching on T-mobile USA, they must have EDGE, because T-mo's 3G coverage is still rather limited; even if they were going for AT&T, EDGE would still be likely. That means, in practice, a GSM-capable radio. What wasn't known was whether initial software would support it, and if not, whether devices shipped with voiceless software would be upgradeable yo voice in the future.

I recent that remark (spock, that was you) about 'those of you with poor eyesight' (not sure about the exact wording, was on the previous page..). I don't have "poor eyesight". I have perfectly normal eyesight, just can't focus as close as before, which just happens to be completely normal for my age group, which is "in their forties". We're also well inside the age group of the techno/information/internet/gadget(-buying) generation.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
3.5" screens... ugg isn't that 99% of the cell phone market?
Actually, it's more like 1%.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Apple, Archos and Google showed that you can start with an open kernel and still make a closed OS. Yes, I know Google opened Android, but their private little software architecture doesn't allow switching your interface to another one (like KDE, LXDE or Enlightenment) with very little effort. Maemo does this, because they're Linux all the way up, not just at the kernel level. And that was the point of my comment.
Yes, but since no one else was here to do it, I was messing with you about your imprecise linux-as-OS comment. You should have said, "thanks to Nokia for basing Maemo on an open/popular GNU/linux distribution."

TIFTFY

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
To me, it's not a surprise. If they're launching on T-mobile USA, they must have EDGE, because T-mo's 3G coverage is still rather limited; even if they were going for AT&T, EDGE would still be likely. That means, in practice, a GSM-capable radio. What wasn't known was whether initial software would support it, and if not, whether devices shipped with voiceless software would be upgradeable yo voice in the future.
I agree with your logic. But why would nokia not announce such a thing. I guess the developers would have wanted that information. And texrat did mention that some of the information is unfortunately untrue. I assume he was talking about the t-mobile lock-in. If they wanted to go with a carrier lock in they definitely would have done it with n97. I don't see the point of suddenly going with a carrier especially with such an open OS which the carriers really would not like.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I am not sure how many of us do stuff without pressing the full screen button.... but for me the first thing i press if the app i am using is not in full screen is the full screen button. I have never used any app in the windowed mode. I am sure that many of the users are similar.
That's likely true. I can only say that I am the opposite. I do not like full screen. I do not use full screen. I do not like or use any app that insists upon being full screen.

Full screen gets in the way of quickly bouncing between applications.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile