Active Topics

Originally Posted by switchfiend View Post
If this leaked picture is actually of the tablet:

Shopped. There is bar on the left which was removed in current maemo incarnation

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
Shopped. There is bar on the left which was removed in current maemo incarnation
I hope that's the case.

While overall, I think it looks more in line with other Nokia devices (something I never felt about the N810), I think that keyboard looks terrible.

This would be all the more sad, as the E75 apparently has a really well-regarded keyboard (although it's too tall to fit in the space the N900 keyboad appers to fit in).

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by switchfiend View Post
As I've heard nothing but disappointment about typing on the N97, I don't find that comforting; although to be frank, I found the keyboard on the N810 to be unuseable (which was one of the main reasons I got rid of it after a few weeks and went back to my N800).
I got used to th N810 keyboard eventually, but it's still far from perfect. They must know that in Finland! (What kind of fingers do they have?) That's why I'd hoped for a better, slightly larger keyboard, not a smaller one.

Yeah I'm quite worried about the keyboard...

Texrat: Maybe you can use your n800/n810 as a dedicated GPS/car computer? (Since I assume you already have one). I know I'm going to repurpose my n810 as ... something ... when I replace it (possibly car GPS, or nightstand computer/alarm clock).

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Check this for your city:

http://www.tmonews.com/2009/05/more-3g-more-3g/

T-mo is using Nokia's remote manageable base stations and are evidently timing their first T-Mo US 3G cellphone to the network buildout.
Yay!
I gets mah 3Gs in Q3!

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Alas, this explanation does not address two very common uses for the current N8x0 tablets:

1. Reading books (with FBReader)
2. Watching movies
I'd add "Annotating PDFs with Xournal (or doing anything with Xournal) but I guess that it does not qualify as a "common" use.

As an old-time field biologist, I really like to carry around a notebook to sketch and scribble in. Why is it so hard to translate this idea into the digital age? (yes, Lcuk's Liqbase get it). My N800 is about the size of a spiral notebook, and infinitely more useful, but Rover looks like it was rationalized away from this idea. I think Nokia's response to this is basically "Hey, it's a phone, phones are for fat fingered people, why would you want to scribble and draw on a phone?". My only complaint about the N800/N810 was no working PIM, to which Nokia's response was "PIMs belong on phones, and this is _NOT_ a phone, you want a PIM go buy a phone". </useless-grumbling>

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheRealBubba For This Useful Post:
Umm, wow. I was away from home (and totally offline) for four days... and what do I find when I get back ? The town hall in flames, sounds of brawls and broken glass, and bodies flying out of the saloon windows... hah, pesky kids :-)

First thing I though when I saw the "leak" was, "this is a ploy by Nokia (or part thereof) to keep us occupied till the announcement, and keep us from each other's throats over link and background colours, council despotism, and Nokian bigbrotherism over our beloved, previously so peaceful and consensual, community".

I believe that Quim wrote something quite similar in one of the previous 206 217 posts (which I actually read), but his reasonable words (and a few others') were lost in the noise - rude and aggressive noise, sometimes.

Frankly, people, this thread is ridiculous. I'm no more a fan of a smaller screen (yup, another old-timer) and gsm voice (I like my phone separate, thanks) than many who've said so here. But I, for one, am certainly not going to lose any sleep over this stuff until I see an official announcement and specs with the Nokia logo on them.

I still have a working specimen of each existing tablet model, two of which I use daily despite their respective flaws, and they serve me just as fine today as the 770 did in 2005. So I'll just wait serenely for one or more Maemo5 devices to appear, determine if one will serve me even better, and *then* evaluate my options.

At the very least I'll give it until the Amsterdam summit in October, where I fully intend to participate and have a great time :-)

Last edited by fpp; 2009-05-25 at 21:09.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I got used to th N810 keyboard eventually, but it's still far from perfect. They must know that in Finland! (What kind of fingers do they have?) That's why I'd hoped for a better, slightly larger keyboard, not a smaller one.
Well, I have to say, the E71's keyboard is much smaller than the N810's, but it is so, so, so much easier and quicker to type on. I love typing on my phone, but doing so on my tablet is a hassle...

Nokia did an amazing job on my E71's keyboard

Lets hope they do it with the tablets' successor(s).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aisu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Yeah, that's what I was hoping for too.

I mean, if the plan with Maemo 5 (and the subsequent hardware) is to be more touch-specific for the interface; then I guess they don't intend for the keyboard to be used frequently.

For me though, at that point I'd just buy a smartphone.

I keep flip-flopping between wanting to get a really basic phone (like the upcoming Nokia E52) and pair that to a tablet (or god forbid, a netbook); and an all-in-one smartphone.

If I gain nothing in useability from the N900 (by which I mean it's not any less compromising to use than a smartphone), then why use it at all? This doesn't change the fact that I still think it's very cool.

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile