Yes, it's quite energy hungry. Can you try switching off Sync and compare the results? Also, Firefox uses GPU for accelerated layers and to increase the responsiveness of the UI. I wonder if it drains battery more than usual. Heavy GPU usage gives speed, but comes with the battery drainage price.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-03-20 at 21:19.

For a test, you can disable accelerated layers in the about:config

Set:

layers.acceleration.disabled=true

(expect that to cause sluggishness though).

Hardware acceleration test: http://demos.hacks.mozilla.org/openweb/HWACCEL/

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-03-20 at 21:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
so i turned off sync, restarted just to be safe. /opt/fennec/lib/fennec-11.0/fennec still continously spends 8-15% of CPU while in the background. I am parked on the home screen in the background.
i can try the hardware gpu off, but why should that be used when firefox is in the background and not “drawing” anything at the moment.

the hardware stress test took a long time to load in firefox compared to the stock browser. And it was beat, stock 5fps, firefox 4fps.
where is about:config located?

Just type in about:config in the address bar as any other address and press Enter.

Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Ah yes bookmark editing. Forgot about that one. Almost impossible due to the placement of the vkb.

this vkb placement is an issue on many other sites as it hides the text entry field.
oh yes, if you click on add tags to bookmarks, the only way out is to swipe out and back into the application.

I can't seem tup install the update for firefox. Every time i try to upgrade it through device update, the update fails. Anyone got any ideas?

Can you try to update manually and check what errors dpkg shows? The packages can be found here: http://romaxa.info/fennec/mozilla-release/

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Can you try to update manually and check what errors dpkg shows? The packages can be found here: http://romaxa.info/fennec/mozilla-release/
So i downloaded the file, clicked on it to install and now it says "cannot find installation package"

turning hardware acceleration off renders it useless. It flockers and goes blank. V. 11.0.0.1. But cpu usage remains the same.