Active Topics

Ok, I went and looked on the page, and my u-boot was rather old - I updated it and now Arch boots. However, my Maemo menu entry no longer works - I need to figure out what changed in the boot menu files.

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Ok, I went and looked on the page, and my u-boot was rather old - I updated it and now Arch boots. However, my Maemo menu entry no longer works - I need to figure out what changed in the boot menu files.
This is a bit of topic, but my entries look like this (you can try to mount rootfs from arch or something and compare, as my first guess is you have e.g. "ITEM_REUSEATAGS" instead of "ITEM_OMAPATAG") (I have u-boot 2012.04-2):
/etc/bootmenu.d/30-Maemo5-2.6.28-omap1.item:
Code:
ITEM_NAME="Maemo 5 with 2.6.28-omap1"
ITEM_KERNEL="2.6.28-omap1"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"
/etc/bootmenu.d/20-Maemo5-kernel-power-2.6.28.10-power51.item:
Code:
ITEM_NAME="Maemo 5 with kernel-power 2.6.28.10-power51 (Internal Nand)"
ITEM_KERNEL="2.6.28.10-power51"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"
ITEM_MODULES="softcursor bitblit font fbcon"
and I have files /boot/zImage-2.6.28-omap1 and /boot/zImage-2.6.28.10-power51 and directories /lib/modules/2.6.28-omap1 and /lib/modules/2.6.28.10-power51 and somehow also /lib/modules/2.6.28.10maemo-omap1 (is that last one really needed btw?)
You may also need some additional data in ITEM_MODULES or other extra fields if you have nonstandard setup.

Edit: Does it boot when you have you keyboard closed? (it should boot to Maemo with attached kernel, by default 2.6.28-omap1)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Lithuania
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
Code:
ITEM_MODULES="softcursor bitblit font fbcon"
What this line exactly does ? I see this first time, is it shows console when booting kernel ?

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by Nobless View Post
What this line exactly does ? I see this first time, is it shows console when booting kernel ?
I also haven't seen it earlier, anyway - it doesn't show it on my device I think it my be needed by bootmenu, but that's just a guess - what scaries me is fact that I have no idea when they appeared in kernel config item file and what caused them to be there...

Btw, I think that these modules (or at least fbcon?) need to be compiled inside kernel image, not as modules, to enable console output while booting kenel (therwise you won't be able to see messages from before mounting rootfs and loading module, so if e.g. rootfs mounting fails, you will still get black screen)

Edit: but this is completely offtopic now, if anyone wants to discuss this - send me a PM

Last edited by misiak; 2012-10-14 at 10:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
I switched ITEM_USEATAG to ITEM_OMAPATAG and it works now. One issue left: I installed e17 via pacman. I type startx and it opens a GUI, but the touchscreen doesn't work, and neither does the keyboard seem to. Is there another package I'm missing?

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
I switched ITEM_USEATAG to ITEM_OMAPATAG and it works now. One issue left: I installed e17 via pacman. I type startx and it opens a GUI, but the touchscreen doesn't work, and neither does the keyboard seem to. Is there another package I'm missing?
xf86-input-evdev-pvr

it was missing from the repo for a moment, sorry, my bad.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Skry View Post
xf86-input-evdev-pvr

it was missing from the repo for a moment, sorry, my bad.
Thanks! This is working great!

Two last issues:
  1. Battery shows 0%. Is there a way to get the actual reading?
  2. The blue keys don't work properly - a minor inconvenience as the VKBD is quite good, but I wonder if there's something in a keyboard map I could change to fix this.

The Following User Says Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Thanks! This is working great!

Two last issues:
  1. Battery shows 0%. Is there a way to get the actual reading?
  2. The blue keys don't work properly - a minor inconvenience as the VKBD is quite good, but I wonder if there's something in a keyboard map I could change to fix this.
You're welcome, I'll try to improve things bit by bit.

1) Battery indicator takes some time to report real value, and sometimes it just stucks. No idea why, bq27x00 reports values correctly in sysfs.

2) Blue works for me in both us and fise layouts. Take a look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-input-n900.conf for default keymap.

We can has calls?

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Ipoh, Malaysia
Confirmed working

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetalGearSolid For This Useful Post: