Notices

@TomJ: As a temporary measure, are you prepared to listen via script called from command line?

BBC switched nearly everything over to HLS, HDS and DASH, which our current media player doesn't support (not sure about mplayer in repo though).

As part of my work on CorsixTH trying to get movie playback supported, I built and packaged a copy of ffmpeg 2.5.1 that I have not released as I wan't to get it to the point where it doesn't interfere with existing version just in case. CorsixTH with the movie support in the thread has all the new libs statically linked as a result.

After reading this last night, I decided to see what would happen if I built static versions of ffmpeg, ffplay, ffprobe etc. A little searching later and I found the new URLs, one for 128kbps and one 320+kbps and gave it a shot. Both stuttering a little when testing but with a few tweaks and command line options I have managed to get it to play smooth.

If your willing to put up with launching from a script until everything else is updated, I could stick a list of URLs and the static ffplay on dropbox.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
For the time being, the mp3 links marxian alluded to will suffice; the only reason I wanted the sports was to listen to the FA Cup while watching the 6 Nations, and as Palace are now out that is less of a priority.

Still, if you do eventually manage to get the AAC streams working from an app it would be nice - would your solution only be for Corsix or could it allow (O)MP access the streams?

*edit* - Ah, Corsix is a game, not a media player... I should really search before I post.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Last edited by TomJ; 2015-02-17 at 11:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Well that explains why my Marantz MCR-603 just had a man repeatedly telling me the BBC no longer supported WMA.

I had to go back to the index and find Radio 6 again. I do wish they'd stick Radio 6 on FM still. They can ditch Radio 2 if they have to.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
News article on the topic.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31487515

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
There is some issue with allowing (O)MP access to the streams. I have no idea how gstreamer works for starters, which is what I think both are using. Secondly, gst-ffmpeg is supposed to be built using the version of ffmpeg that ships within its source code. I did try sending it a config flag to use system version of ffmpeg but it bailed out almost immediately.

I have built ffmpeg 2.5.4 now, both thumb and non-thumb with asm optimisations enabled, although I didn't really see much difference in CorsixTH. CuteTube calls ffmpeg as an external process for the download as audio feature, which I've tested and it still works fine. get_iplayer uses it to handle conversions, which again is working fine.

I'll post an [Pre-Announce] thread in the week with links and examples for live streaming of radio and tv, the later still not perfect but better than it was.

The only issue I have is with the naming of the dev packages. I've currently gone for libavcodec56-dev, libpostproc53-dev etc based on shared lib name and set conflict to the name of the 0.5svn release in repo, libavcodec-dev, libpostproc-dev etc.. I've done this to avoid pushing the 0.5 version out of the repo should initial testing come back positive.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
I haven't used it for such, but I think get_iplayer can be used to stream/record live programmes.

Don't know how easy it would be to port it.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ .pl
you can also use mplayer -dumpstream and similar options

Originally Posted by skanky View Post
I haven't used it for such, but I think get_iplayer can be used to stream/record live programmes.

Don't know how easy it would be to port it.
It already has... I ported it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
It already has... I ported it.
Sorry, I should have checked before posting. Also, I've only skimmed the thread, but which platform are we talking about?

Originally Posted by skanky View Post
Sorry, I should have checked before posting. Also, I've only skimmed the thread, but which platform are we talking about?
N900, though others platforms probably have similar issues with the change.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post: