Active Topics

Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
Powerpacks and chargers in the wild are more likely to wear or damage your usb port, so I carry a spare battery or two.

Less space than a powerpack, adds less bulk to your N900 than a Mugen. AND much cheaper.

I also bought a mobile battery charger/holder so I can charge a battery off-device - a few £'s on FleaBay.
Modern smart phones are great but they drain power like crazy. I have 7 chargers around the home, garage, car and office.

I also bought a spare battery and charger/holder for my N900 too. Because the battery is thin I always keep the spare in my pocket, which after a month was still 90% full when I had to use it.

It seems like good cost-effective solution. And I think it really winds up iPhone owners

Last edited by Jamil; 2011-01-12 at 00:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jamil For This Useful Post:
i also have the mugen. lasts great. and i also appreciate the extra thickness. much easier to hold and type very fast.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
but the cost !! cannot justify it

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
but the cost !! cannot justify it
it can be done cheaper
if you are feeling adventures and not worried about getting your hands "dirty"

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
not very good with soldering, and dont wanna stuff up my n900

anyone have a used mugen battery they wanna sell?
let me know!

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
Powerpacks and chargers in the wild are more likely to wear or damage your usb port, so I carry a spare battery or two.

Less space than a powerpack, adds less bulk to your N900 than a Mugen. AND much cheaper.

I also bought a mobile battery charger/holder so I can charge a battery off-device - a few £'s on FleaBay.
This.

Although my batterycharger is my old 5800XM ;D

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
not very good with soldering, and dont wanna stuff up my n900

anyone have a used mugen battery they wanna sell?
let me know!
Very unlikely anyone would give up Mugen power battery after they have used to use it and know the benefits.

But if you can get just the back cover, making bigger 2xJapod 2600 mAh battery is not that hard if you just have solder machine available. The most simplest way, is not to disassemble neither batteries, but just solder (+) and (-) cables to the connectors of "the lower" battery in that way it is still connectible to the battery socket of N900. Maybe also use small drill to make space, remove plastic on top of the connectors for the cables to come up from the battery cave.

The above thread about battery mod is still missing instructions of this most simple way of doing double capacity battery. What I did was not to remove any plastic, because it worked without also, but using just little thicker cables it would make sense to remove the black plastic on those places where black and red cables come up (see the pic on the previous link). One must not use too thin cables, because N900 will charge at max 600 mA (and even @1200 mA in a worst case) each battery.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Another con: If you have a case for your N900, it won't fit if you have a Mugen big battery. I have a Mugen big battery and don't use it, primarily for that reason. Plus, con 2: It looks funny.

I use the spare battery strategy. And another poster mentioned the charge of a separate battery charger as if that was significant. It is if $10 or so breaks the bank for you, but then how did you buy an N900 to begin with? The advantage of a spare battery charger is that you can charge batteries while you are using the N900 and not be tied down to wherever you are plugged in; then it takes way less than 10 seconds to swap batteries once you get used to doing so.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Another con: If you have a case for your N900, it won't fit if you have a Mugen big battery. I have a Mugen big battery and don't use it, primarily for that reason. Plus, con 2: It looks funny.

I use the spare battery strategy. And another poster mentioned the charge of a separate battery charger as if that was significant. It is if $10 or so breaks the bank for you, but then how did you buy an N900 to begin with? The advantage of a spare battery charger is that you can charge batteries while you are using the N900 and not be tied down to wherever you are plugged in; then it takes way less than 10 seconds to swap batteries once you get used to doing so.
btw, maybe you would be interested to sell that Mugen battery and the back cover to f2thak then.

Of course you can have two double-batteries also and the wall charger, as I do (2xJapod + 2XoriginalNokia5J). Once you have made one double-battery, it is even more easy to do second. I have full double battery (2400 - 2600 mAh) always in a fridge waiting (+5C) and will take it with me to longer trips or quickly change at home if I have no time to recharge the current one inside.

If N900 would support hot swapping of batteries, I may think otherwise. Also, I do not have any special case for N9000 but keep it in my front pocket, so extra thickness (+7mm) does not matter but is indeed benefit when using qwerty-keyboard.

It may look funny :-) but it is impressive and magnificent! I do not much care about themes either, usability and features is what counts 4 me. Flowers and decorations are for other people.

Last edited by zimon; 2011-01-12 at 14:14.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
btw, maybe you would be interested to sell that Mugen battery and the back cover to f2thak then.

It may look funny :-) but it is impressive and magnificent! I do not much care about themes either, usability and features is what counts 4 me. Flowers and decorations are for other people.
I thought about selling it, but I usually keep stuff...

I think I'll try to brainwash myself into the "impressive and magnificent" mind set. I wonder if anyone makes a case for such a beast? I would prefer hooking it to my belt over having it bulge out of my pocket. Like Mae West might have said, "Is that a Mugen battery + N900 in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"