Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Personal Photo Frame is a new desktop widget for Fremantle. This widget allows you display a single photo or a slide show from a local directory.

Version 0.2-2 is building now (in extras-devel), and I will promote it to extras-testing if there are no problems.

I have a number of future features planned for once everything is working properly. Right now you can select a single photo to display, or a directory to display a slide show from. When displaying a slide show you can select the amount of time each photo displays, and display left/right arrows to manually switch.

Please test and report back any issues or feature requests.

Thanks!

Edit Version 0.2-4: Files will now open in the image viewer when you click the widget, and the image looks selected when pressed. Fixed a problem where clicking forward in the slideshow skipped an image.

Edit Version 0.2-5: New custom icon by joshua.maverick (thanks!). Outline photo and slideshow controls. Pressing controls highlights the control rather than the whole widget.

Edit Version 0.2-7 is in extras-testing. This version adds three user selectable sizes (small, medium, large) so you can have the photos display as you want. Also fixes some bugs with single file selection, and the selection dialogs now remember your last directory.

Edit Version 0.3-2 is in extras-testing with a number of UI improvements. First and foremost is EXIF-based rotation for photos with the orientation tag set. The frame is now transparent (and the photo takes up the whole height and/or width), slide show controls moved to the left/right centre positions, slide show controls now have a larger area of affect (the entire sides of the widget), and a couple of smaller changes I can't remember right now
Attached Images

Last edited by fiferboy; 2009-11-09 at 20:10. Reason: added screenshot

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
You sir, need to change your name to WidgetMaster

A suggestion though, maybe try it with the arrow icons centered vertically? Up to you though, just a thought.

Nice work I've been trying to come up with a similar idea to yours except I wanted to have a photo flip book animation with local photos taken by the camera. The easiest way to create this that I saw, was using flash. As it currently stands there is no flash support in the maemo SDK so that's where my idea stopped. Maybe you can take it further

I got the idea from this talented fella:

http://www.rubenswieringa.com/code/as3/flex/Book/

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Looks good!
I'm assuming pressing on the photo brings up the full screen photo ? And then back to the widget version when that is closed or pressed?

Thanks for your hard work Wish I had an N900 to help with testing.

Originally Posted by salem View Post
Nice work I've been trying to come up with a similar idea to yours except I wanted to have a photo flip book animation with local photos taken by the camera. The easiest way to create this that I saw, was using flash. As it currently stands there is no flash support in the maemo SDK so that's where my idea stopped. Maybe you can take it further

I got the idea from this talented fella:

http://www.rubenswieringa.com/code/as3/flex/Book/
I could build that in flash...

Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
I could build that in flash...
Yeah you can do so much with flash, I'm still unclear as to why nokia does not want to included in the maemo SDK or at least let us install it manually if they are afraid of any legal implications.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
This one will be a big hit for people with kids and pets they want to show off! Great idea.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by salem View Post
Yeah you can do so much with flash, I'm still unclear as to why nokia does not want to included in the maemo SDK or at least let us install it manually if they are afraid of any legal implications.
I'm not at all sure that the finger needs to be pointed at Nokia in this case, smells more like Adobe (not just from a legal aspect, but technical as well). Not that I think using flash widgets on a power-hungry beast like the N900 would be too good of an idea anyway

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Clicking the widget will bring up the photo in the photo viewer in the next version. I planned for the feature, but haven't implemented it yet.

I ran the widget on 30 second slideshow for 8 hours last night (on external power with the screen unblanked) with no issues. I'm going to promote to extras-devel.

Joshua: want to take a crack at a custom icon?

The Following User Says Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
Clicking the widget will bring up the photo in the photo viewer in the next version. I planned for the feature, but haven't implemented it yet.

I ran the widget on 30 second slideshow for 8 hours last night (on external power with the screen unblanked) with no issues. I'm going to promote to extras-devel.

Joshua: want to take a crack at a custom icon?
Yes sir, I'll have a proof tomorrow.

The Following User Says Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:

Tags
desktop, fremantle, maemo 5, widget