Active Topics

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
First of all, I would like to say it's primary role isn't a phone - that said it should perform well as a phone.

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
1. If I am watching video then I absolutely can't receive calls. I just get a missed call yellow notification flash up on screen.
I can't say I've really noticed this, very annoying if true.
Can you raise a bug for this?

2. That is bad but what is even worse is it sometimes happens even if I am not watching video. Phone doesn't ring. Just get missed call notification.
I've noticed this a couple of times (not always), it's bizarre I think in my case people ring again as after the call I get a missed call notification.
Again can you raise a bug for this?

3. If I receive a call when the keyboard is open I dare not close the keyboard before answering the call because the 100 years the device takes to switch from landscape to portrait leaves me with a blank screen for so long that by the time the screen finally lights up the call has gone to voice mail. So I now have to make sure I answer before closing the keyboard.
The phone does tend to get sluggish after a couple of days. This is why people think new firmware increases speed so much - it doesn't so much.
Power cycle your phone every couple of days - sad I know (back to the windows OS style)

4. Even when I don't have to switch from landscape to portrait I am very often left with a blank screen and a ringing phone. And no I am not covering the proximity sensor. It happens even when the device is on the table.
See previous point

5. Very often when I miraculously get the answer button light up I press it and the button just freezes up.
Again part of the previous problem I think.

6. I can't use the phone on speaker because the speaker volume is so terrible.
Speaker volume is ok for me, in a car I plug it into the stereo though - works great as a hands free kit! (just waiting for my car mount)
The speakers aren't great, I'll give you that - but given the size of the phone it would be difficult to make the speakers bigger.
Perhaps some external speakers if you need speakers that much?
I know there are some good portable speakers available.

There is of course the fact that I have to charge the phone twice a day. I could of course disable connections and not use any of the cool stuff and it would last me through the day but then I would be left with nothing but the worst phone in the world. Better to use all the cool stuff and know I have a good device rather than a crap phone.
I would check what you have running (doesn't sound like you have a major issue though) GPS etc. hammer battery.
Turning off the vibrate function also helped me a bit.

This was irritating for me at first, but I always take a charger with me - something I've got used to know (so I probably charge it 5-6 times a day!). Can be difficult sometimes, which is why I ordered a spare battery when I got the phone as I knew this would be a problem.
Not had to use the battery yet, but I carry it just in case in my wallet.

Hope this is constructive. But I would try switching off and on every morning and see if these problems go away (not ideal I admit, but worth a try?)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deadmalc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
N900 is a phone. 99% of the people who buy the N900 buy it because it is a mobile phone. That it can receive make calls. If it couldn't, I'm sure it wouldn't have been as popular. Actually, you will have about 90% less people in this forum that of now if it couldn't make or receive calls and sms. Gawd, I just don't get why people say N900 is not a phone. My N95 8GB could be said the same thing then. It can play videos, take photos, record videos, play music, skype, msn, browse, voice navigation etc etc. So it must not be a phone eh? Anyways....

I don't have the issues that the OP mentioned.

I regularly watch videos on my N900. Actually, VERY often.
I've never missed a single call while I'm watching a video.
It always pauses my video and I can receive the call fine.
Also, even when overclocked to 1GHz, mine never locks up.
Finally, the speaker on mine is quite good. Similar to my N95 8GB.
I would have definitely hate my N900 if I couldn't rely on it as a "phone".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Hey Etuoyo,

Since noone else seems to have the same issues as you, perhaps the problem is really your N900.

Perhaps you don't have the latest firmware on it?

If I had such a faulty device, I'd try to reflash it (both the eMMC and the Fw), and if it is still wrong, simply take it back to a Nokia shop and have it replaced in warranty.

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-04-09 at 10:24.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
OP, Im afraid this is what this website has become. If you have a genuine problem with your handset, you'll still get a load of jumped up "members" who haven't even read your post telling you to go buy an iphone. It sounds like you've had a frustrating time, I hope you'll get it sorted.
The clue is in the title - "I Have the Worst Phone in the World"

If it was something more reasonable -
"I'm having problems with the phone app" or
"Phone app is p***ing me off" or
"Phone app is really slow/missing calls"
"Having problems with my prostate"

I think people would be more inclined to be more helpful.

In fact I even agree with some of his comments.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
I can make phone calls with my notbook/netbook
(Voipbuster, skype... and some laptops have even a simslot so u can even make calls with that)

Does that make my notebook/netbook a phone???

NO!

Now there's your answer
Yep, there's my answer, and a lousy answer it is.

If you click the off switch on your n900 you will see that one of the options it gives you is Phone. This is not something that can be used to make phone calls. This is something with the integrated function of making phone calls.

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Why does everybody still thinking that the N900 is a phone!?

The N900 is NOT a phone!
It's an internet tablet WITH calling options etc!

do your homework guys before starting to talk sh*t!!!!!
sorry, but this kind of threads makes me angry now....
I advice you to stop talking s***. This phrase "It's an internet tablet WITH calling funcionality" is so overused that I can't stand it anymore. N900 IS A PHONE!! It has phone form factor and every component of regular cell phone so stop making excuses for flaws that N900 has. Tablet, phone.. in this case it's just semantics.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bartekxyz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
The clue is in the title - "I Have the Worst Phone in the World"
It's missing calls all over the place, it certainly sounds like a good candidate. And read into his post

"No what I am talking about is its basic functionality as a phone. I am not even refering to all N900s in general. I am talking about my N900. It is well and truly the worst phone in the world."

You will see he is talking about his phone, not n900s in general. There's no reason to jump down the guy's throat at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
I too find it quite galling how people get so angry and upperty when other community members complain about the phone function. It is not very welcoming or community spirited. Other people have genuine concerns about their expensive device and want to share in the hope of sympathy or advice. Nothing wrong with that I think.

Now frankly the N900 is both a phone and and internet tablet, the functionality of which are not mutually exclusive in this device. Without the 3G phone capabilities the true mobility of the device would reduced and before anyone says it, not everyone lives within easy reach of free roaming wi-fi.

So to address one of the the OP's concerns, I too have a phone which spends an eternity deciding whether or not it is landscape or portrait when a call comes in. Before it finishes deciding what to do the call rings off. As someone else pointed out, obviously the call answer time is to a short peroid, approx 5 seconds, so why don't I adjust this? Because on Vodafone you need to be able to send operator codes to change the call answer time and guess what? Yep this basic funtion is missing from this device. RUBBISH!!

That is just one example. Nokia make phones it is what they do, it is what they have been very very good at. Yet they cannot do it out in their advanced device, very poor. I did do my research before purchasing, but at the time there was little info on how poor the phone function is. I am not going to sell it as from my previous experience with Nokia (E90, 9500 etc...) I know they will come through eventually with various firmware updates. In fact the operator codes looks like it is going to be fixed soon, but that does not stop frustration when having to combat your phone on a daily basis when receiving a call.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to octavius For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
N900 is a phone. 99% of the people who buy the N900 buy it because it is a mobile phone.
And you know 99% of the N900 purchasers how?

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
@OP
I think something is wrong with your PHONE and you should have it repaired. I just tried all of the things you posted... even watching movie with keyboard out recieving a call and closing keyboard before answering all works very snappy and without any problems.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brunorange For This Useful Post:

Tags
kill the infidels, n900 != phone, troll thread, unproductive thread, worst thread ever