Active Topics

http://armdevices.net/2011/03/18/arc...unced-in-june/
http://liliputing.com/2011/03/archos...p-tablets.html
Things that are essentially confirmed
  • 5, 7, and 10 inch form factors. I'm glad to see Archos recognizes the importance of there own 5 inch form factor
  • 3g Options
  • Dual Core 1.6ghz arms (Omap 4440)
  • Continued usage of hard drives and high capacity flash memory
Possibilities
  • Pixel Qi
  • Android 3.0
I'm glad to see Archos making a affordable devices with high capacity storage and dual core Arms and a true Archos 5 successor.

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2011-04-01 at 03:46.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I'm glad that they finally implemented a wwan option...

This could make a very compelling buy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
yes, I want one that is 5", I hope they would loss embedded battery.

Originally Posted by cheve View Post
yes, I want one that is 5", I hope they would loss embedded battery.
I hope they get rid of the nonremovable battery thing to

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
I think a 1024x600 display would be a good choice for the 5 and 7 inch tablets and 1366x768 display for the 10 inch tablet

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Me too. I was about to buy an Archos 5 until I realized it had no removable battery. That lead me to the N900.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Archos don't forget your trademark thing kickstand!

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Something I would really like from the Archos devices is for them to be not so glossy please matte finish!!!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I'm just glad they proved me right. Even BEFORE the N900 came out, I had ranted and raved all over the forums that I think it would be a STUPID mistake to embed a cellular radio in the tablet and FORCE you to have to buy an expensive piece of electronics AND that it would limit your options by forcing ONLY GSM or ONLY CDMA or anything else. I suggested that I preferred the idea of a plug-in module or, better still, an internal USB compartment for a radio "modem" like the ones that carriers have been selling.

I feel VERY satisfied that Archos has taken the step to NOT include a cellular radio and instead opt for a USB module for whatever carrier or technology you want... PLUS it makes it FAR FAR more future-proof (i.e. EDGE -> 3G -> 4G, etc.).

I might just have to seriously consider an Archos, now. It seems like they're trolling the forums and listening to pissy customers like me. I'll gladly pay them for that.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm just glad they proved me right. Even BEFORE the N900 came out, I had ranted and raved all over the forums that I think it would be a STUPID mistake to embed a cellular radio in the tablet and FORCE you to have to buy an expensive piece of electronics
I am just glad confirmation bias is so effective.

A usb 3g modem can be obtained for $20US, so I imagine the unit cost of the 3G module itself is far lower. So it adds an insignificant cost or bulk to a tablet even when you factor in the antenna. There is nothing expensive about a 3G module. All it does is provide extra connectivity options that no-one is forced to use.

Though as I have said before, an idea that was not put there by logic cannot be removed by logic.

But having a swappable solution would be great. Though Dan, I would suggest that given they are likely adding the expense of an antenna and bay for a 3G/4G module to be inserted, you should steer clear of them. Though I gather you are saying you are perfectly happy for there to be a slot for a cellular modem as long as there isn't a $10 module sitting in the slot?

The Following User Says Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, bada rox, competition, no bada for u