Poll: What are you going to do when XP support ends?
Poll Options
What are you going to do when XP support ends?

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I stopped using XP long time ago! I'm currently on Windows 8.1 and I love it..

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Now... What would be the way to gradually switch from Windows to Linux? Uninstall the rarely-used-unneeded programs and free up space for Linux installation on the same hard drive? Run "check disk" just in case?
That's possible, yes.
There are methods of turning your current windows environment into a virtual machine, so if you have lots of available HDD space you could try something like this:
  • clean up what you do not need
  • install linux aside windows as a dual-boot OS
  • now you can use linux or windows, whichever you choose
  • clone your windows into a VM
  • run the VM inside linux to make sure everything works
  • delete the original windows installation and free up space
  • profit...

Is it possible to "Hibernate" in Windows, and then "Return from Hibernate" in Linux? Because I am looking for Windows and Linux coexisting side-by-side during transition.
Now that's an interesting idea indeed! I am afraid that is not very easy to achieve, however that is not impossible. Hibernation is performed by stopping all running processes and writing the current total RAM content into a file on HDD, and on restore it is read back and processes are unfrozen.

In theory it is possible to have 2 different files on your HDD, one containing the current windows RAM image and one containing the current linux RAM image.
The going-to-hibernation-phase is easy, I'd say some quick patching of the hibernation code is enough to make sure each OS can go down gracefully.
The wakeup phase is more difficult, You'd need to write an utility that can select which OS to wake up to and chainload correctly the image unfreezing.
Doable, but could prove a challenge. (I could propably fix up something like that for the linux part fairly easily but I have no idea how to implement the windows side of it....)

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Dictionary: should be easily replaceable with GoldenDict
Works fine for me. But I rarely need it.

Printer: hopefully, they have a Linux driver?
Depends on the printer.

Dia, Flac: fine?
Dia is available for Linux. As for flac, tell me when you find a program that does not support it!

Media player: have to switch to VLC Player?
That's one possibility. I prefer smplayer (mplayer+gui) since mplayer is faster than vlc.

Google Earth: not used for a long time, switch to Marble?
Google Earth is available on Linux.

MathML Weaver: what is it?
This [1]?

Kaplan: not needed?
This [2]?
I certainly don't need it. If you do wine might be worth a try.

Home-brewed Visual-Studio-Compiled programs: re-compile for Linux, with curses at Visual Studio all the way?
I guess the closest aproximation would be Eclipse. But there's no alternative on Linux that's actually on par with Visual Studio.

Nokia, XVid: fine?
Fine: mplayer, vlc ...

Seagate: what is it?
Most likely some drive-specific tool that you wouldn't need anyway.
My rule of thumb: I consider any HDD broken that needs tinkering beyond the capabilities of hdparm.

Bluetooth, WiFi, Ethernet drivers: please, be fine!
Usually yes.

DjView: something has to be on Linux for this file format
The program is available for Linux.

AHDW: run under Wine?
All I could find via Google was a trojan. It probably would work under wine, but I don't quite see the point.

There are several alternatives. The hard part is not switching the SW but convincing your contacts to use something else.

Now... What would be the way to gradually switch from Windows to Linux?
My way was not forcing anything at all (e.g. by intentionally uninstalling Windows SW). All I did was trying to get the tasks I did under Windows done under Linux as well.
Over the course of 8 months or so I gradually did more and more things under Linux until I one day realized that I hadn't booted Windows for half a year.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Math/Software/math...t_editors.html
[2] http://www.kaplan-software.de/

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Wellll...it is OLD....buuuttt ...there are some alternatives to use linux with windows running...I quite enjoyed it actually. I foolishly left the comp world back in the day....came back to it and went eeny-meeny...picked windows instead of linux...then wanted to migrate...but it was daunting back in the day... It was easier for me to understand linux WHILE using Windows. Frame of reference kindathing... No dual booting or VMware or WINE or other mucking about..or irritating compat issues.
So ya...there is andlinux and colinux....and a couple of others I can't recall at the moment.....as I said tho ...they are old now...last I used them with was xp...worked great too..worth checking out...perhaps there is a more current project that runs linux seamlessly with windows. I haven't checked up on such developments in a while ...

Addendum : For that matter...why not keep a copy of xp backed up somewhere. I know that for tablet pc artwork ...xp tablet ed. was pretty darn good. I've got a few copies backed up. I still use my old toshiba portege m200 with xp tablet ed. and will prob continue to use it. that old m200 has a hard time with anything higher...and after the early tablet yrs...the convertibles got faster and more powerful but the screen res got smaller...hard to beat 1400x1050 for artwork...modern res. sucks ...tend to get jags just sketching.
Anyway...xp had and has plenty of issues ...sure...but the tablet edition wasn't bad...and the amount of decent software was pretty good. And just because M$ is trying to push everyone out the door now doesn't mean people will stop using the software. Just have to change a few things and behaviours (security wise..) ...anyway...I think migrating is a good idea...esp with win 8 now...yuck. But just because you migrate doesn't mean you can't use xp or the programs. Don't think of the migration as yes or no...black or white.
Linux has got great stuff and windows has some too. I try to use both to advantage.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2014-02-13 at 07:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
My way was not forcing anything at all (e.g. by intentionally uninstalling Windows SW). All I did was trying to get the tasks I did under Windows done under Linux as well.
Over the course of 8 months or so I gradually did more and more things under Linux until I one day realized that I hadn't booted Windows for half a year.
Same here. I made the transition when Microsoft made Genuine Advantage compulsory. My Windows was genuine (it came preinstalled on the laptop) but I thought, no way I am going to let Microsoft spy on me.

Like sulu, I made a dual-boot install with Windows secondary, to use when needed. It turned out I needed it about once a year, and that was only for things like sharing a screen over Skype (I must say, Skype on Linux is still a bit of a hit and miss: no SMS support, no screen sharing and, depending on your hardware and Linux version, you might need to hunt for an older version to make it work at all).

The only things I miss on Linux are
1. A simple picture editor like e.g. Microsoft Paint. GIMP is nice but too heavy for most use cases.
2. A good video editor. I've tried everything that Debian and Ubuntu had to offer. Most of them crashed on start. Those that worked had such a horrible UI that I ditched them.
3. A good DVD authoring software. See #2, the same applies. I found one that worked in Debian 6 but stopped working in 7 due to f**ked up dependencies. D'oh!

Everything else works just as good or better.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Said goodbye to windows from hard drive in 2014 finally . Linux is bit cubersome specialy battry mangment . Currently evaluting my options in the vast distro sea.

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
1. A simple picture editor like e.g. Microsoft Paint. GIMP is nice but too heavy for most use cases.
Kolourpaint is more or less an exact copy of MS Paint (at least it was when I left the MS sphere).
If you don't like KDE, try gpaint, gnome-paint or rgbpaint. They all use the same principles, but unfortunately are missing certain small features, which make kolourpaint my only KDE program.
Pinta might be worth a try too, but I haven't tried it so far. (Edit: Meh, it depends on mono)
Mtpaint is pretty mighty for its low weight, but unfortunately also kind of cumbersome. I don't actually like it, but still use it sometimes.

Last edited by sulu; 2014-02-13 at 16:16.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
+1 for mplayer.

IMO the best video player hands down for any platform. Beats VLC in image quality and speed. I also use SMplayer as its frontend, but occasionally it has nagged me with some donation dialog, what's up with that windows like crap?

For video encoding I use ffmpeg which is great and avidemux for simple edits like cutting, rescaling and adding new audio.. Haven't found a good fully featured video editor though.

For photo editing ufraw and Gimp work fine for me. Darktable is nice for playing with raw images too, but too resource heavy for my measly ibm laptop (now almost 10 years old).

Geeqie is a nice and simple image viewer, with basic options for rotating, reading exif and other stuff you'd expect. And nothing beats imagemagick for quick commandline image editing and batch processing.

All in all you'll probably find reasonable replacements for most software you use in Windows and plenty that are superior to their windows conterparts. And who the hell runs apache on windows anyway? I'm probably not wrong if I say that over 90% of webservers run on linux.

I suggest you to try out several linux distros and taking your time with them before deciding which way to go..It's probably easiest to start with Ubuntu, Mint or another similar fully blown install and move on when you've got hang of the basics. (And have gotten some idea what programs you like to use).

I''ve been using debian 'testing' for last 9 years or so and would recommend that in the long run (no need for reinstall or full upgrade as it's basically a rolling release). I've found that sooner or later whole distribution upgrades (ala ubuntu) will **** up your system and be pain to fix making reinstallation the easiest option available. I think last and only time I reinstalled debian was some 4 years ago and that was simply for building a well optimized system on a new SSD. (boots to desktop in 6 seconds on 2004 hardware so worth it).

Whatever way you decide I hope you enjoy getting rid of that spyware called Windows.

Last edited by ladoga; 2014-02-13 at 17:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
XP is still supported?

Last edited by Leinad; 2014-02-13 at 18:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Hehe ...soon. April 8th supposedly.
I have heard that there will be a "paid for" continued support. As in... pay to keep it updated. But don't quote me on it...Can't remem where I read it.

Hehe "paid for" continuing support ...sounds more like Apill ...geez ...what is the world coming to? Nukia now in bed with M$ who is also now in bed with Andread ...a horrible..horrible... menage-a-nightmare....Argh

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:

Tags
desktop, reactos, windows xp