Active Topics

I have gone back to 5.6 - gps doesnt work with 6.4 (also tried the one from the #411 post)

My real question - is it possible to have cloudgps disable the screen blanking/lock when running or when there is gps lock like ovimaps and navit do?

BillK

Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Originally Posted by strange1712 View Post
In Version 0.6.4 The text entry field displays the text vertically when in landscape mode. It works fine in portrait mode.
Thanks for reporting. Landscape vkb and search text is not implemented yet. A fix will be there soon.

Originally Posted by xes View Post
Concerning the gps fix time, as i suggested some time ago, could you take a look at the "Gps Recorder" sources?
GPS Recorder uses liblocation to access GPS. CloudGPS used liblocation too in earlier versions but it has been rewritten to QtMobility. There should be no difference on GPS fix time between those methods, at least in theory.

So... cloudgps runs showing the tiles from zoom 15 but, often, until cursor does not touch the edge of the new tile, the tile remains blurred. As soon the cursor goes over the edge, cloudgps loads the level's 15 tile with no problem.
What you want here is double-pixel mode. Go to zoom 16 and tap zoom out while holding shift on keyboard and you will enter double-pixel mode and all tiles will be zoom 15.

I suppose there is something wrong in the map preload square...
Some time ago i asked if you could put in the ini file a setting to change the size of preload rectangle... do you remember? is it possible?
Again - what you want here is double-pixel mode. I would not help here to simply increase the preloaded distance and the default size is optimal for N900 and its limited amount of RAM. The setting will be there once I add full support for different screen sizes.

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Had similar probs to most, where CloudGPS wouldn't start, but fixed that bit with the the apt get instruction in post #422.

But I can't get my GPS to work within the app. It just refuses to kick in when I start CloudGPS. Works fine in all other apps that require it.
Also I notice the maps refresh is very glitchy. Sometimes the map disappears completely and sometimes I get black artifacts (like graphics corruption accross the screen).
Post #422 may help a little but I believe that many other dependencies will still be missing and that is the reason why GPS does not work for many in 0.6.4. I am working on a fix right now.

Also I notice the maps refresh is very glitchy. Sometimes the map disappears completely and sometimes I get black artifacts (like graphics corruption accross the screen).
May also be related to missing/wrong versions of dependencies. I did not see that happening. Could you post a screenshot here showing the artifacts (ctrl+shift+p)?

Still not playing ball, even with that version. Seems to start lagging and getting unresponsive after a short time in use too.
Sorry, 0.6.4 was not stable when I uploaded it to extras-devel. I did mention that here when uploading. Fixing the stability and performance issues is priority number one right now.

Originally Posted by billk View Post
I have gone back to 5.6 - gps doesnt work with 6.4 (also tried the one from the #411 post)
That was right move - if you have issues with 0.6.4 downgrade to 0.5.7 and wait for a release that fixes the issues.

Originally Posted by billk View Post
My real question - is it possible to have cloudgps disable the screen blanking/lock when running or when there is gps lock like ovimaps and navit do?
This is a bug because I have written code that should prevent screen dimming and locking. Will work on fixing that also.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
@dwaradzyn

thank you for the helpfull informations (like ever) you are always very kind.
I will try double pixel mode.

Anyway, i know teory but i'm sorry, the fix time of the other app is really faster.. (about half - i can't understand why)
If you have some time, try it and tell me your impressions.

The Following User Says Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
I am working on fixing dh_shlibdeps with 0.6 for N900. I have to upload to extras-devel to check if it builds on autobuilder correctly. In fact I have already uploaded quite a few versions which failed to build.

But one recently uploaded did build and now we have 0.6.5 in extras-devel. The version 0.6.5 DOES NOT FIX any of known issues and is a result of me trying to find a working solution.

Sorry for the further confusion. In ideal world the end users would only have enabled extras, sometimes extras-testing, but extras-devel would be only for developers.

I know in practice most of you have extras-devel enabled and you will receive new package as an update.

And the new package is still broken, sorry again. I cannot undo the uploading nor delete the package.

The Following User Says Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Or maybe it did fix the dependencies but metadata is still not updated on package site (no dependencies listed, size of package is 0):

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...loudgps/0.6.5/

Lets wait and see.

OK, the metadata is finally refreshed and dependencies seem to be correct this time. There is an interesting warning though:

Code:
Warning: Promotion of experimental Qtm based applications (libqtm11 or libqtm-extras) is blocked due to conflicts with stable versions.
Will cope with that later. For now, can anyone who had problems getting GPS started try the version 0.6.5 from extras devel and confirm if it fixed the issues or not?

Thanks in advance

GPS problem is still there. The new update didn't fix it.

again: maps

tried to download a map with the recommended mobile app creator. after three days the map of approx 350mb still wasn't downloaded, so i got fed up and canclled the thing.
poses two questions:

- why does everyone creating a map/navigation feel the need to create yet another map format? in my experience the format used by navit is very well working. maps are comparatively small and first of all: they download fast and there a re lots of prepared maps around.
so, why doesn't gloudgps simple use that established format?

- are the prepared maps around? three days to create a map of around 150x150 kilometers are ridiculous! and how do i create a map of a larger area like all of germany with usable resolutions? that would probably take months ...

Originally Posted by ksirunyan View Post
GPS problem is still there. The new update didn't fix it.
I want to nail this issue but it is hard because it just works on my N900. Except "it does not work" I do not have much concrete information to investigate further. I encourage you to do the following and describe with as much detail as possible the behaviour (comparing the results to previously working version would also be great):

1. Get a fix using another GPS app just to make sure you are in conditions that allow N900 to get a fix. Then close the app.
2. Run CloudGPS from terminal and wait 30 seconds.
3. Take a screenshot and post it here together with terminal output from CloudGPS.

And perhaps the most important question: can you see GPS icon on status area when when CloudGPS is running on your N900?

Thanks very much

Originally Posted by arne.anka View Post
again: maps

tried to download a map with the recommended mobile app creator. after three days the map of approx 350mb still wasn't downloaded, so i got fed up and canclled the thing.
poses two questions:
Bulk downloading from almost any map provider will shortly lead to banning your IP, so there are little chances that you will succeed unless you manage to workaround that. Bulk downloading is against terms of use of every map provider currently supported by CloudGPS.

- why does everyone creating a map/navigation feel the need to create yet another map format? in my experience the format used by navit is very well working. maps are comparatively small and first of all: they download fast and there a re lots of prepared maps around.
so, why doesn't gloudgps simple use that established format?
Tile maps are web standard. CloudGPS did not invent new format at all.

Navit does not use raster based maps but vector based ones. It is completely different from technical point of view. Because of the availability of free data for it I plan to include support for navit like in future.

Trust me, I would like to have this feature right now but this will be a lot of work and this project is just my hobby in my free time, so please understand it will take time.

- are the prepared maps around? three days to create a map of around 150x150 kilometers are ridiculous! and how do i create a map of a larger area like all of germany with usable resolutions? that would probably take months ...
Not that I know of. The reason is quite simple: raster maps take much more disk space than vector data. There is no hope for street level maps to be stored in a cell phone right now. For example on zoom 20 there are 1 099 511 627 776 tiles covering all the globe. Each one 256x256 pixels. You can imagine that it takes a data center to store this amount of tiles, not a cellphone.

While there are some use cases where you can use CloudGPS in offline the app is mainly cloud based GPS app (hence the name) and it does require Internet connection to operate.

For the use cases I use it for it is quite sufficient. For example I am planning a trip to from city A to B. I do not need much detail of the road between A and B, so all I do is (while on WiFi) look over the areas along the route from A to B. I can calculate the route between A and B using CloudGPS and then use the route demo on several zoom levels to do that.

Then there is my destination which I usually take on foot and require street level detail. During trip planning I just look at the places I will be going to using desired zoom level. That way on the go I will be able to use cached data. And I will cache only the data that I need (which is far less that bulk download approach).

So, to recap. I think it is fairly safe to say that using tile based maps (which is the only map format supported by CloudGPS right now) you can forget about having whole country preloaded. Just preload what you really need or have a data plan.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:

Tags
best gps app