Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
CSSU and CSSU-thumb actually (should) differ in a compiler option only. So it's irrelevant in which branch development takes place, as one push of a button later the other branch is up to date
Patches so unclean that they can't compile for a non-thumb platform should get rejected anyway, since after all that's linux and we generally try to be good developers that care about trying to upstream their contributions.

/j
Unfortunately it is not how it works, some complex SW (like Qt and microb-engine) need patching in order to work (or even to be compiled) with -mthumb.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Unfortunately it is not how it works, some complex SW (like Qt and microb-engine) need patching in order to work (or even to be compiled) with -mthumb.
So you say you need to patch Qt in a way so it wouldn't compile for ARM anymore, just to make it compile for thumb?
That for sure doesn't sound right.
And how would you update such a massively patched Qt version, in case any newer mainstream Qt comes in?
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
IMO, cssu doesn't need such an advanced kernel as kp. Omap + thumb patches will be way better for a potential cssu-kernel than a full featured power-kernel.

CSSU is meant to be as official update, so we don't need features like OC and hostmode.

I'm not the best in writing things down, but I think I have made my point
Sure, if you find a maintainer I am all for it. Until then what me and Pali plan is to have only one kernel, which replaces omap1, kernel-power and kernel-cssu, you name it (though most probably it will be kernel-cssu). OC, usbhost and the other stuff are features, not something you are obliged to use.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900

Community SSU developer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
So you say you need to patch Qt in a way so it wouldn't compile for ARM anymore, just to make it compile for thumb?
That for sure doesn't sound right.
And how would you update such a massively patched Qt version, in case any newer mainstream Qt comes in?
/j
Instead of arguing over TMO you may want to check the commits in CSSU Qt thumb-testing branch. That is why thumb-testing branch is.

ITE (pseudo)instructions are ignored in ARM mode, while you MUST have them in thumb mode. And I would not call backported upstream patches consisting of few instructions meaningful only when compiling for thumb a "massively patched Qt version".

Community SSU developer

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Now, back to the topic:

thumb2-compiled microb-engine is in the cssu-thumb repo. You won't receive "maemo5 update" as I ran out of time to prepare it, but those of you who feel comfortable with terminal may want to do(as root):

get libgcc_s.so.zip from here http://dox.bg/files/dw?a=3daf095264 and extract the library in "/lib",replacing older version.

apt-get update
apt-get install libnspr4 libnss3 libnss3-certs microb-engine microb-engine-common

OR(if you really know what you're doing)

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Reboot the device aferwards.

And I will appreciate if someone posts the apt-get install../upgrade output, especially the line with "xxx bytes of disk space will be freed"

Community SSU developer

Last edited by freemangordon; 2012-07-11 at 09:00.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Germany
Now, back to the topic:

thumb2-compiled microb-engine is in the cssu-thumb repo. You won't receive "maemo5 update" as I ran out of time to prepare it, but those of you who feel comfortable with terminal may want to do(as root):

apt-get update
apt-get install libnspr4 libnss3 libnss3-certs microb-engine microb-engine-common

OR(if you really know what you're doing)

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

And I will appreciate if someone posts the apt-get install../upgrade output, especially the line with "xxx bytes of disk space will be freed"

Sorry for the not complete output. But after the update of microb-engine i have rebooted my device...
but apt-get says that ~4MiB may be freed

The Following User Says Thank You to Skaven2k2 For This Useful Post:
Now, back to the topic:

3973kB disk space will be freed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ghitly For This Useful Post:
Sure, if you find a maintainer I am all for it. Until then what me and Pali plan is to have only one kernel, which replaces omap1, kernel-power and kernel-cssu, you name it (though most probably it will be kernel-cssu). OC, usbhost and the other stuff are features, not something you are obliged to use.
^This
I was thinking a dirty solution would be for Pali and developers to simply list the dependency of a pseudo-package, "power-capabilities" or something along those lines, so they would work on any custom kernel with these capabilities. Of course that would require repackaging many debs, but your unifying approach is that whole lot more sensible. How would this happen?? Would Pali join CSSU or what route is expected?? If you do unify having a package such as the power-flasher still appear as installed for older packages to work would be smart. Of course, all you people are really smart and have probably thought all of this (or better solutions )

As for the features you are right about that, features should be available even if not used, I do not overclock but I would like to know I have a fully capable kernel that can do what I want on a linux-phone as this.

So essentially a very longwinded thanks and kudos to the thumb idea and results you are obtaining, as I seem to recall Estel said, this thread is really gold

The Following User Says Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:
After installing microbrowser recompiled, I entered a reboot loop. Lovely!
Will restore everything tomorrow, or maybe flash.

Originally Posted by ghitly View Post
After installing microbrowser recompiled, I entered a reboot loop. Lovely!
Will restore everything tomorrow, or maybe flash.
Did you apt-get upgrade or install?? Those libraries sure do not look like dependencies for a bootable system (I could be wrong though)

The Following User Says Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:

Tags
code size, dinosaurs, fmg ftw!, fmg.da.king, performance, thumb, thumb life