Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
[Off topic] I keep looking at the forum page and reading "yes it sucks!" "So what did you expect?"

I fear the waiting has finally addled my brain as I giggle every time. [/off topic]

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
I think part of my expectations are because I expect to use it as my primary phone as well, and it's important that is very reliable.

If I were buying it as a secondary device - which would be an easy choice if it were a lot cheaper (casual buy) or there was some other compelling reason - then I guess I'd not be too bothered about the phone aspect.

That said, I've had Nokia S60 phones which locked up every few days, and sometimes produced no sound when receiving calls, and sometimes didn't ring on incoming calls. So I can't say that other phones do... phoning :-)... all that well either :-)

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Im expecting something i can develop on and improve for 6 months to make it usable then dump it for M6.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
solves those issues that have me avoiding the Android platform For example, having to run everything though a bytecode intepretator
You can write C++ modules on Android these days. People do it to accelerate games, for example.

true access to the device without having to hack around and install custom firmwares. I'm hoping Maemo will be successful enough to at least cause Google to re-consider some of their choices in Android.
Yay to that! I hope the greatest legacy of Maemo is it pushes the whole industry to noticing that a lot of potential paying customers are interested in open devices, directly, or indirectly (as users of software developed openly).

That's probably the thing which most motivates me to take the N900 seriously. I don't really need a little web browser, a PDA or even a posh phone. I really, really want to see the growth of a thriving open source industry in this area... that's a huge motivation for me.

Last edited by jjx; 2009-11-24 at 23:12.

Do you need to use strength to take off the back of your N900?

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Nemo_me View Post
Do you need to use strength to take off the back of your N900?
Not sure, but what were you expecting....

Because I actually cannot take off the back of N900 to put my SIM Card and battery (

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Im sick of having multiple devices to take care of my digital needs; camera, phone, archos, laptop, ipod the list goes on and I'm running out of pockets

I want and expect one device to do it all. OK its not going to do everything as well as the individual devices but I don't need a 12,000,000 mega pixel camera all I need is a few half decent photos!

I just want to pick up ONE device put it in my pocket and thats it, I have a phone, music, movies, internet, email, open office etc and I think that the N900 is going to deliver.

As RevdKathy said there is also room to grow! Maemo being at the heart of that, which for me is an added bonus!! It was what got me interested in the first place, but the device itself is exactly what I want (hardware wise too).

Really hope it does deliver...................... if it ever get to me! Ordered from MPD so

A internet tablet with a phone function bolted on. Simple!

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
My expectations are quite low... I know I can't use it as a phone, and I know I will be uncomfortable with the smaller screen so I'll keep using the N8x0s for certain tasks... Basically I want it because it runs GNU/Linux and because I want to give it a chance somehow. (And because I want to make Peter happy ...)

So I could hardly be disappointed.

I'm afraid a lot of customers out there will be, though. They expect each and every detail they've come to take for granted from S60 phones and aren't even aware the N900 can't do it. Nobody expects a €600-device wouldn't be able to assign ringtones to contacts or read the caller's name on incoming calls.

I'm sure we'll see high return rates in the beginning until people understand that this is... different.