Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
I have had issues with fMMS working intermittently. Although it has worked before, today I cannot download an MMS.

Checking first the connection:

If I disconnect all Internet connections, all the connectivity icons disappear from the dashboard, as expected.

Then, under Internet Connections I select MMS, & the packet data connection active icon (white circle with two arrows) appears.

Then, the availability status indicator appears below it, but it flashes between the green dot & a white dot with an X in the center.

Is that correct? Or should the availability status indicator stabilize to the solid green dot?
Attached Images

Last edited by rotoflex; 2014-05-16 at 14:51.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
A bit unrelated (to the original topic/relevance of this thread), but nevertheless:
if you select the connection (for MMS connectivity) manually, then this behavior is to be expected.
As this connection is not a normal internet connection but handling only MMS connectivity via a proxy. (some providers nevertheless provide a bit of internet connectivity with some settings modification but this is not topic and not to be discussed here).
And the availability indicator does not have anything to do with fMMS but just shows IM/rtcom accounts availability, related to internet connectivity.

So why do you not set "havoc mode" in fMMS which enables configured fMMS APN for short time and routes all traffic via this APN? This is safe (for me and frals) and the most convenient.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2014-05-16 at 15:38. Reason: details

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
A bit unrelated (to the original topic/relevance of this thread),
You are correct; I apologize. I had three fMMS threads open & intended to post in one of the main ones, but mistakenly posted in this one.

I tried the Havoc setting, but still got the "Operation Failed" message after a wait.

I tried to check the connection with some of the information at
http://wiki.maemo.org/MMS

roubleshooting fMMS
[edit] How to verify settings are correct

Select 'Polite' mode in fMMS configuration
Press the taskbar (where signal strength, battery etc is shown), connect to the internet connection called "MMS"
If this fails, your settings are wrong.
If this suceeds, proceed
Open the browser and try browsing to the same location that is specified in the "MMSC" field in fMMS connection settings
When I connect to MMS (not using fMMS), open the browser, and connect to the MMSC address (for me, USA T-Mobile it's http://216.155.174.84/servlets/mms), the browser displays only the message
"parameter location was not included in the GET request"

I assume that this means I have established the data connection with the T-Mobile MMS server, but something else is wrong? Or does it display that message in the browser even if fMMS is functioning correctly?

Iirc the latest version of fMMS and/or fAPN will not show the MMY connection APN anymore in the connection configuration/selection dialo

So to get to the ground:
which version of fmms/fapn ard you using?
are you sure APM settings in fMMS are the same? Especially the proxy setting?
did this happen out of the blue? Or could you receive earlier? When latest?
and so on. Provide as much info you can.

About your question with settings:
It should not throw any errors, as this address is just the base and not a real message address.
I just checked (once more) for vodafone de and here I just get an empty page in browser (as expected). So no idea about t-mob usa, sorry. Someone else from over the sea may check/confirm please?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
So to get to the ground:
which version of fmms/fapn ard you using?
fMMS v. 1.3.5-1
I do not see anything called fapn in the application manager.

are you sure APM settings in fMMS are the same?
Especially the proxy setting?
did this happen out of the blue? Or could you receive earlier? When latest?
The last MMS I previously received was on 2014-03-22.
I changed nothing since that time, except trying Polite/Rude/Havoc.

Has there been an update to fMMS since that time? I cannot remember the dates of when updates were installed.

How can fMMS be run from the command line to observe error messages? fMMS without a path generates a "not found" message.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Indeed, there was an update to 1.3.5-1 (made by me ) and pushed from devel to testing a few days ago.
So you have at least testing repo enabled, maybe also devel?

Nevertheless this update should not (must not) break anything!
As it just enables fmms to detect a new header from MMS definition 1.1.
One possibility (but very very unlikely) would be that your provider also uses v1.1 but has added also other headers and those error was resolved by another error in fmms.

Another possibility is that your provider just switched to send out MMS in revision 1.1 with another header added.
This would be exactly the case I was looking for (to have the need to work on fmms more).
Could you call your hotline to ask/verify which verion of MMS definition is used to send MMS (either 1.0 or 1.1)? I know I know tbose technical questions are hard to discuss with phone support guys/girls!

Are you familiar with the console?
fmms is python and need to be started like
python /opt/fmms/fmms_gui.py
Then you will see some more output in console window.
But fmms has already a logging facility: please see the file /tmp/fmms.log (this one will be deleted on boot and recreated with next start of fmms).

Please have a look at those and/or post them here (via txt attachment) or better on pastebin or similar.

Best would be if you could do following:
check (/home/user/).fmms/mms/ and have a look at the latest received mms/folder with newest date
send yourself a MMS, close fmms!!!, go again to .fmms/mms/LatestFolder, zip it and post it (it will contain one file named message). Now open again fmms and click on the received message, compare now content of ,essage against the archived/zipped one.
Hopefully we can find what's going on...

--
another possibility for you to check if my update broke your fmms (unlikely) is to reinstall fmms in version 1.3.3
apt-get install --reinstall fmms=1.3.3
(to go 'back' to latest version: apt-get install --reinstall fmms)

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2014-05-17 at 19:08.

I had one of your ideas later, & successfully sent an MMS to myself, received it & opened it. So that seems OK, & the issue seems to be just the one MMS sent on 5/16/2014.

With your information, I looked at /home/user/fmms/mms, & I see two folders: one from the successful MMS iof 3/22/2014, & one from the new MMS of 5/16/2014 which seemed to not work. I entered the folder for the MMS of 5/16/2014 which seemed not to work, & found the photo & message.

What is strange is that in the fMMS GUI, it shows the successful 3/22/2014 message as expected: a yellow envelope with the sender's name & no red dot (it's already been downloaded), when it is selected, the picture & message is displayed.

However the 5/16/2014 message is displayed as a yellow envelope with the sender's name & a red dot, & when it is selected, it connects to MMS, displays the message "Downloading MMS" for about 2.5 minutes, then displays the message "Operation failed". It apparently does not know that it already has the downloaded data, & is reconnecting to the MMS server. I do not know if a copy is still on the MMS server, of course, & maybe that is what's tying it up so long.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
I had one of your ideas later, & successfully sent an MMS to myself, received it & opened it. So that seems OK, & the issue seems to be just the one MMS sent on 5/16/2014.
Good, that means at least it is not my change that broke anything.

Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
With your information, I looked at /home/user/fmms/mms, & I see two folders: one from the successful MMS iof 3/22/2014, & one from the new MMS of 5/16/2014 which seemed to not work. I entered the folder for the MMS of 5/16/2014 which seemed not to work, & found the photo & message.

What is strange is that in the fMMS GUI, it shows the successful 3/22/2014 message as expected: a yellow envelope with the sender's name & no red dot (it's already been downloaded), when it is selected, the picture & message is displayed.
Hmm, that is strange. Either it should have failed and only the 'message' file itself there. But having the picture and not the text is strange!

Could you do a cat message in that folder and check the content?
If it looks like
~ $ cat .fmms/mms/NOK5xxxxxxxxxxx/message
îäìæàSA½¥ù+4911123456789/TYPE=PLMN ÖΓäú* âüΩ
then it is probably not parsed correctly.
In that case fmms has succesfully downloaded the message, due to a "bug" (only knowing about protocol 1.0) it stopped iterating the header fields (and stopped code execution) while parsing, and did not enter all info in the mms.db. And then on opening in GUI it tries to download again, but once downloaded successfully it is already removed from server.
(this is what I expect, no chance to check anymore)

If the message contains more info and some keywords like SMIL, body,head; then you could zip that and send it to me.

--
If you ever come again on such MMS message in the GUI with a red star on upper right corner, then do NOT click it, but go to .fmms/mms/LatestDateyFolder and make a copy of that message first. As it will get overwritten with "feedback from server already downloaded" and we would loose again all possibilities. So please remember this and inform me again, then.

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2014-05-18 at 11:59.

No bug reports or proven bad behaviour for my patch, I have propagated version 1.3.5-1 to extras-testing.
Please vote here if you have tested and like it to go to extras (or not. I do not mind as my use case is working )

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Peter thanks for updating you package to fix the author in package management.
I have noticed you have removed the uuencoded icon from the control file.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post: