Notices

...but the .deb package (and patches) I made can still be downloaded from http://www.tuug.fi/~toni/serendipity/ while waiting for more polished, more official versions from others.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Well, after I updated my scratchbox environment to latest Fremantle SDK I no longer see display updated inside Xephyr window. Only when switching to/from fullscreen display is updated. This happens to all maemo 5 apps (browser, control panel,...) in FREMANTLE_X86 target, not just scummvm. Previous SDK had only wrong colours :-) This is my old ubuntu 6.04 virtual machine I have since OS2006 days and I do all OS2006/7/8/Fremantle development there. I need to migrate it to something newer but currently don't have disk space for another virtual machine

That's why I have put is aside for the moment since the developer device should arrive any time soon (3 weeks since I ordered)

But anyway, the 1.0.0 scummvm release is out and the 1.0.0 source includes N900 fixes mentioned in this thread so it should in theory build out of box.

Then there is submission to extras-devel->extras-testing->extras and voting which can take some time too.

So to make it short - I was waiting for the device to do some final touches and already expected to have it. Look like it can still take long so I guess I can build Maemo5 deb and put it somewhere even without doing proper testing with real device.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2009-12-01 at 11:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
But anyway, the 1.0.0 scummvm release is out and the 1.0.0 source includes N900 fixes mentioned in this thread so it should in theory build out of box.
Hmm, just found out that someone installed the official version from scummvm site (not intended for N900) and it runs on N900 too. http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=8206

Since Fremantle uses gcc 4 compiler and previous SDKs use gcc 3.4, I was expecting it to fail because of different libgcc/libstdc++. It is nice this is not the case and we can still have same binary fror all devices. Time to add escape and menu key. Fullscreen switch is currently ctrl+space, global menu is ctrl m, both work on N810 too.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2009-12-02 at 09:13.

Ah it seems they have disabled SDL_WM_SetIcon for Maemo, so I'm not surprised it's working out of the box, that was the only major problem (along with the keybindings of course.)

Hi! I installed it on N900, but to do this I used "dkpg -i" from terminal. Maybe this is the biggest problem for common users. I think N900 doesn't accept .deb as native "installer"...

However ScummVM runs very well, full speed (monkey Island 3, full throttle), right speech, perfect mouse emulation... only things I see that misses are some keys, such as "ESC" (it can be emulated by "backspace" [ <- ]), "." to skip dialogues and possibilities to remap arrows (in non-english keyboard layout there are "up" and "down" in 2° function).

A virtual keyboard would be very appreciated (ctrl+k ? ) to insert some text with real qwerty closed or without some special keys.

Originally Posted by Kjow View Post
Hi! I installed it on N900, but to do this I used "dkpg -i" from terminal. Maybe this is the biggest problem for common users. I think N900 doesn't accept .deb as native "installer"...
It should. Both when downloading .deb directly (open button, not save) and also there should be 'install from file' somewhere in application manager menu. Could you verify that it works? Just click the download link on official site and select open button not save.

However ScummVM runs very well, full speed (monkey Island 3, full throttle), right speech, perfect mouse emulation
Yes, all tablets are good enough. MI3 is playable even on 770.
... only things I see that misses are some keys, such as "ESC" (it can be emulated by "backspace" [ <- ]), "." to skip dialogues and possibilities to remap arrows (in non-english keyboard layout there are "up" and "down" in 2° function).
real backspace may be needed in some games, maybe ctrl+backspace is free, '.' is remapped to some arrow key since N800/770 have no keyboard. As for keybindings - they need to be selected carefully, each game engine has its own keymappings and even ctrl and shift combinations are used in some games.

Also maybe you will be missing ESC in other software too, another way is to change N900 native keymapping to add tab, esc, pipe, page up/down, braces etc.

For N810 this is in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-44, maybe there is rx-51 too?
A virtual keyboard would be very appreciated (ctrl+k ?
There is slowly going project inside ScummVM to provide generic keymapper and virtual keyboard, it is stil not ready though. Many game engines have keys hardcoded so even with keymapper available most engines needs to be ported to use keymapper instead of raw key scancodes.

It should. Both when downloading .deb directly (open button, not save) and also there should be 'install from file' somewhere in application manager menu. Could you verify that it works? Just click the download link on official site and select open button not save.
My N900 ask only where to save...

Yes, all tablets are good enough. MI3 is playable even on 770.
Perfect
N900 has not relevant "incompatibility" with official scummvm

real backspace may be needed in some games, maybe ctrl backspace is free, '.' is remapped to some arrow key since N800/770 have no keyboard. As for keybindings - they need to be selected carefully, each game engine has its own keymappings and even ctrl and shift combinations are used in some games.
ok.
ctrl backspace is not free on N900, it open program switcher (such as ALT TAB on windows)...
ctrl e ? ( e = esc)

'.' (or arrows) doesn't work for me in N900 to skip MI2 dialogues.

Also maybe you will be missing ESC in other software too, another way is to change N900 native keymapping to add tab, esc, pipe, page up/down, braces etc.

For N810 this is in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-44, maybe there is rx-51 too?
I'll try, but it is not comfortable

There is slowly going project inside ScummVM to provide generic keymapper and virtual keyboard, it is stil not ready though. Many game engines have keys hardcoded so even with keymapper available most engines needs to be ported to use keymapper instead of raw key scancodes.
There is a virtual keyboard on NDS, I simply thinked that it uses it from scummvm "generic"...

My N900 ask only where to save...
Oh, that's bad. And no menu in application manager either?

'.' (or arrows) doesn't work for me in N900 to skip MI2 dialogues.
just tried, it is arrow down on N810

I'll try, but it is not comfortable
Yes, it is bad, there should definitely be a way with no such changes needed.

There is a virtual keyboard on NDS, I simply thinked that it uses it from scummvm "generic"...
Will check. But NDS has two displays so it is perhaps fullscreen on the bottom? Quite NDS specific. For Maemo either semi-transparent switchable or small on some side would be nice.

For previous tablets there was also xkbd and xvkbd available with customizable layouts (usable also for dosbox and other stuff that needs keyboard).

UI for installing from .debs was removed in fremantle

If I "Click" on .deb in file manager, N900 ask me wich program to use for open .deb and selecting "application manager" nothing happends.

Application manager has not any "load file"

With "dpkg -i file.deb" all ok.

just tried, it is arrow down on N810
My N900, such as all non-english N900, has arrows keys in second function. Here photos:

English layout
Non-english layout

fn+right arrows ( = down) is not recognized... but fn+numers works ok on MI2 protection.

Will check. But NDS has two displays so it is perhaps fullscreen on the bottom? Quite NDS specific. For Maemo either semi-transparent switchable or small on some side would be nice.

For previous tablets there was also xkbd and xvkbd available with customizable layouts (usable also for dosbox and other stuff that needs keyboard).
Yes, virtual Keyboard of NDS appear fullscreen on touch display...