Poll: What do you think of console-tools
Poll Options
What do you think of console-tools

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
@PB

It works great! Any problems I have had seem to be in the form of operator error

Note: I was really frustrated for a while as the OSKbd exits PBEasy. Once I used my BTKbd it worked great. (N800)

Minor quibble: When choosing the partition size it would be nice to have more explicit comments as to which partition you are working on.

Or maybe...radio buttons with standard setups for various card sizes (similar to the ones in IIRC your first post on Install tools)

?Additions? Add rotate / high speed kernel installation

Your extremely useful tools have made re-flashing & cloning a relatively easy and painless operation.

Thank you

Matt

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:
With Easy Ubuntu/Mer on the horizon, it was time for me to try out console tools.

Using pbeasy worked great -- eventually. :-)

What I hated were the lack of instructions for use with the N800 OSK (ex. hours wasted not knowing that I had to select/deselect using the spacebar). Actually one of the pb menus does mention using tte space bar, but I only read that after losing all hope. :-(

Lesson learned.

Last edited by dkwatts; 2009-03-11 at 00:34.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by dkwatts View Post
With Easy Ubuntu/Mer on the horizon, I figured it was time for me to try out console tools.

After my own shortcomings with the N800 (had no clue that I had to the spacebar)

should be able to use stylus?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

I installed it, but couldn't figure out how to backup to an image without cloning over the entire card. (so back to partimage for me).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
should be able to use stylus?
i doubt the stylus would have helped. More important was the that i didn't know i was looking at a radial button

ex: i kept selecting "OK" without selecting a radial button first.

pbeasy was very easy to use once it became clear that an additional selection was required from me (the end user).

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
Poll comment :
>> GREAT THANKS <<

I used pbeasy to partition, but found pb more flexible for cloning.
Having no command line experience to speak of,
I dared not (yet) try to figure out partitioning with pb . . .
And then beeing in pb I used it for handling bootmenu and swap file.
So far I found the menus in pb/pbeasy self explaining.

But I lost the bootmenu all the time till I thought of searching for a reboot command
instead of power down/up . . . (those newbies..)
I have not tried backup/restore yet.

Having overcrowded my uncloned N810 a bit with lots of apps I made a fresh start with empty mmc:s.
So I experimented a lot with pbeasy and pb and these apps helped me understand what was going on behind the scene.

( And then I finally dared a few attempts to install+clone Mer 0.9, well the last posts in that thread explain a bootmenu problem, and I learned a bit . .)

Questions :
How to make more than three partitions on an mmc ?
( I read a comment somewhere in ITT about editing a file pb uses (??), but can not find it.)
Can one have two bootable partitions with e.g. diablo and mer on the SAME mmc ?

( if this is the wrong place for questions just ignore them and I will repost them )

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
This is THE moment for me to thank PenguinBait for his outstanding work!
While I wasn't successful on my first try using PB due to:
- operator error
- "missing manual"
- Had to update the bootmenu stuff to allow timered autoselection of bootpartition
the experience still was immensly joyful (took me perhaps 30 minutes to finally get it right):
a) I felt somehow "in control" on this machine again (aka Master of Disaster).
b) Having cloned to a 1 GB partition of the internal flash gives a LOT of space to install additional apps and makes the N810 so much more useful.

Lessons learned:
- Not any partitioning works (for me to get it working, I had to make partitions on the internal flash mmcblk0, the first one a W95 FAT32 (LBA), the second one a Linux ext3)
- Take care to really select an option... (press SPACE)

The "missing manual" was probably the worst part. In between outdated posts here and old wiki articles, the currently relevant information got lost (at least for me). Having a proper doc on a homepage somewhere would have helped a lot (perhaps it even exists but I didn't stumble over it) - especially as the "concepts" are probably murky for many of us who don't have an extended linux background.

Thanks again, pb!

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Austria
First my overall opinion on pbeasy: Great Work! Thanks!

I used pbeasy for partitioning, formating, creating the bootmenu and cloning to the internal memory and to an external SD (Sandisk 8 Gb Class 6 Micro SDHC). It was easy to use and both clones are working fine so far.

Only the swap-file was not aktive in both cases.
To enable the swap partition (on the created partition on the same memory like the clone) I had to use the "swap"-item of pb according to http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...&postcount=168
Worked fine.

With pb I also managed to create an uncompressed backup of the internal flash and the internal memory on a separate SD-Card (Sandisk 2 Gb micro SD, formatted with ext3).

In my opinion a stylus option is not necessary.

My experiences were made with a 2 week old N810.

Noob here. Got my n810 in February, started researching alternate booting/OS options the following week. Tried PB Easy last week, and had no probs what-so-eva! My setup:
  • Started from clean/latest OS 2008 install via 770Flasher
  • Installed all apps/tools and config'ed device to my liking
  • Installed PB Easy & partitioned 8gb external card with 3 partitions: 64Meg, 7Gb, & 256Meg
  • Cloned OS to 8gb card (partition 2)
  • Setup SWAP on internal card (partition 3 = 256Meg)
  • Updated BOOT MENU via PB Easy, then defaulted it to external card
  • Smile, grin, admire noob handi-work, praise PenguinBait

With this setup, I've preserved the OS setup/config on the internal card (in case I ever need to restore it), while I use and experiment with the n810 booted off the external card.

Thank you Penguinbait. PB Easy is definitely easy (once you do your research to understand what actually occurs when you use it).

Best,

digittante

The Following User Says Thank You to digittante For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern Hemisphere
I haven't been able to get it to install as of yet, despite numerous attempts...must be a user error on my part, but will comment once i figure out what's going wrong. That said, wish there was a bit more if you see this, then do that...type of documentation for the parts most likely to bring about an error. Thanks for the hard work anyhow...back to trying

Tags
bootmenu, console-tools, initfs_flasher, install-tools