Notices

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Unfortunately, I am going on a long, likely offline trip, so I will not update Modrana now - offline routing is more important for me now than CLI.
Thank you for looking into my supposed changes.
Ok. Have a good trip !

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 150 | Thanked: 169 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Sweden
What could possibly be the problem if GPX tracks I have put in MyDocs/tracklogs don't show under modRana/menu/tracklogs? No matter what I put there, the two example tracks are the only ones visible. I just upgraded to V0.32.3, but it didn't work in the previous version either. Could there be something about the format? I've tried with GPX files saved with Mappero and GPX files converted from Google KML. But GPX is a standard in and of itself, is it not? And the files should at least show up in the modRana menu as long as they have the right name, should they not?

Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
What could possibly be the problem if GPX tracks I have put in MyDocs/tracklogs don't show under modRana/menu/tracklogs?
Did you put them into a folder ?
Code:
MyDocs/tracklogs/my_folder/my_tracklog.gpx
The my_folder folder should show up as a new category under Tracklogs and would contain an entry called my_tracklog.gpx. It list everything that has a .gpx extension, so even if the tracklog has wrong internal structure, it should at least show up here.

I agree that this is quite confusing, there should be at least an "import tracklog dialog" so that users can easily select a tracklog and modRana would then copy it to the correct folder. And also support for some basic operations, like moving between categories, renaming, deleting, etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 150 | Thanked: 169 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Sweden
MartinK: I did not put them in a subfolder, no. Figures I should've tried that. The GPX tracks do show up when put in a subfolder.

However, I still have the problem that they don't load properly... I have tried several different ones to try to figure out what could be wrong:

GPX tracks exported from ArcGIS - which is the Gold Standard when it comes to mapping software - will load, but modRana loads them incompletely. For instance, a gpx made up of several tracks will only display the track points and segments within the first <trk></trk> handle. Subsequent <trk> entries are ignored. If you want to take a look at it, I have attached an example of such a GPX file containing several tracks, where only the 3 points within the first track are loaded by modRana, but where ArcGIS, Google Maps and Mappero on the N900 all load the entire file. (It was too long to put in CODE tags, and I had to zip it to avoid "invalid file" message.)

On a side note, GPX files saved by Mappero will simply give a "loading tracklog failed" message. I would think this to be Mappero's fault, if it wasn't for the fact that I can accurately import Mappero gpx-tracks into ArcGIS or Google Maps without problem.

In fact, all my GPX tracks will display properly in Mappero, and their KML equivalents display properly in Marble.

I'm available if you want me to run some tests on your behalf.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TMOexample.zip (2.2 KB, 84 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bocephus For This Useful Post:
However, I still have the problem that they don't load properly... I have tried several different ones to try to figure out what could be wrong:

GPX tracks exported from ArcGIS - which is the Gold Standard when it comes to mapping software - will load, but modRana loads them incompletely. For instance, a gpx made up of several tracks will only display the track points and segments within the first <trk></trk> handle. Subsequent <trk> entries are ignored.
Good find! I took a quick look at the code and it seems it (well, I wrote it myself - about 2 years ago ) really just takes the first segment.

If you want to take a look at it, I have attached an example of such a GPX file containing several tracks, where only the 3 points within the first track are loaded by modRana, but where ArcGIS, Google Maps and Mappero on the N900 all load the entire file. (It was too long to put in CODE tags, and I had to zip it to avoid "invalid file" message.)
Thanks!

On a side note, GPX files saved by Mappero will simply give a "loading tracklog failed" message. I would think this to be Mappero's fault, if it wasn't for the fact that I can accurately import Mappero gpx-tracks into ArcGIS or Google Maps without problem.

In fact, all my GPX tracks will display properly in Mappero, and their KML equivalents display properly in Marble.
The Upoints library/module is used to handle the GPX format, but not all of the available functionality is actually used/supported in modRana at the moment (Upoints even supports KML & other formats). So it is possible Mappero just uses some other part of the GPX format that modRana doesn't support yet (wpt ?).

I'm available if you want me to run some tests on your behalf.
Thanks in advance !
It shouldn't be that difficult to fix the trackpoint-segment issue & look why the Mappero produced tracklog won't work. I'm quite busy at the moment (exams) but I should be able to get back at it (+merging in Wikiwides improvements) in a few days.

I'm looking forward for some serious stress testing of the GPX support in modRana from your side.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick message... Two unrelated bugs.
1. Ampersand in POI name. It needs to be stored as &amp; (I don't remember why, but single & generates an error), and then converted to & when displayed on screen.
2. Loading POIDetail module should be done not only when user goes through menu to points-of-interest, but also when remembered POIs are displayed on screen at startup, otherwise clicking a POI (without opening POIs menu first) causes black-screen-of-restarting-the-map.
Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
now that google allows offline mode for google maps, it allows the device to download maps for an entire city. is that a new API that modrana can use because the existing offline / download mode in modrana is really slow (partly because google will detect if you're sucking up the maps and will block you).

any ideas?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Just tried 1st time downloading offline maps to Android Google Maps (SGS3) and it really was quick. I wonder, if Google Maps marks those downloaded offline maps with device-ID or something, so if someone shares further those offline aps, (s)he will get caught? Or if I just want to use the same offline maps in N900 with some application.

edit:
Google Maps for Android (ICS) also allows to download route to offline use. But when testing it, I noticed if the size of the maps of an area exceeds 85 MB, it won't download but reports one must reduce the area.

Last edited by zimon; 2012-06-30 at 19:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 98 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Netherlands
issue (multiboot stock kernel and 2.6.28.10-p50; CSSU1T; normal tiles)

-tracklogs do not follow actual path but a vector is drawn from start of tracklog to (whatever) current position

-tracklogs are (sometimes?) not shown until a color is chosen and at certain zoomlevels

I have this on both N900's I own. Reinstall or deletion of options.bin doesn't fix it. Would be happy to provide further data.

Last edited by 7thd; 2012-07-03 at 05:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7thd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ South Africa
A big 'Thank You' to Martin for modRana. It is just an awesome and fun to use APP.
I have a question which may have been addressed previously but I cannot find it....
In my installed apps, I have modRana QML which only opens a completely blank white screen with absolutely nothing on it. I have to end task to shut it down. Can anyone guide me with a solution to have it open correctly?
modRana itself is working perfectly......

The Following User Says Thank You to Evok For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps