Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I got to say this was a mission to get it done. Took over 1hour for me to get the damn shots.

First of all I got a SONY DSC-H9 15x Optical Zoom as my comparison to the N900.

Pictures are taken with N900 standard camera, Fcamera, HDRcapture.

I got to say N900 is doing pretty good against the big daddy 8.1MP DSC-H9. Surprisingly!!! the camera from N900 is as good as the DSC-H9 8.1MP. Not to mention both has the same lense and carried the same lense's model.

Stock camera is doing great in good lighting codition but very bad and terrible dethering with bright and dark object.

Fcam apps are doing very well and suprisingly better than the standard camera at lower light (without flash) where the Standard App struggled to dether.

Fcamera and HDRcapture really satisfied me today. This new API really is a great revolution to our N900.

I took a lot of the same scenes pictures to compared to my DSC-H9 camera. And I want you guys to be the judge on this one

I really hope NOKIA fixed their camera App in the next update though. It is such a paint in the back side when the default app can't really takes good sunset pictures though. But Fcam apps will do just perfect Hope there are fully finished products of Fcam apps. I am hooked!

N900 with HDRCapture app:

==================

SONY DSC-H9

Nokia N900 Standard Camera

N900 HDRcapture

==========================

SONY DSC-H9

N900 Standard camera app

SONY DSC-H9

N900 standard camera app

========================

SONY DSC-H9

N900 Standard Camera app

========================

SONY DSC-H9

N900:
Standard camera app:

HDRcapture:

======

SONY DSC-H9

N900:
Standard camera app

HDRcapture: Shook my hands a little bit while taking it.

Fcamera:

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2010-07-30 at 12:11.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Try save the image of the sunsets to your computer then view it. N900 has slightly rendering problem with stock app. I truely hope Nokia fix it in the next firmware update.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Try save the image of the sunsets to your computer then view it. N900 has slightly rendering problem with stock app. I truely hope Nokia fix it in the next firmware update.
what rendering problem?

e: and learn how to use exposure compensation if you are so keen shooting sunsets....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 424 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
Cool.
I have one example from Indoor.
All thou FCAM have some issues with White Balance, the difference between stockcam and Fcam is big.

With StockCam:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/toxaris/4833693233/
And with Fcam:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/toxaris/4833691863/

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
e: and learn how to use exposure compensation if you are so keen shooting sunsets....
Well, any exposure automation will have difficult time when pointed at the sun, because of the dynamic range of the scene.

My question is, how do you know the exposure used for those images wasn't exactly the point of the author? Especially as these high contrast scenes really do test the limits of exposure algorithms. It's also where HDR excels, as it doesn't have to try and make a choice.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
what rendering problem?

I know how to take photo buddy, I already tried manual configuration setting combination. The picture turn out great but when you view in high resolution you'll see the dethered area became blocks of black and grey. I would do better if the damn NOKIA app didn't have a broken exposure setting!!!! I did said the camera app is still broken and Nokia need to fix it. Otherwise it would be great to take any picture. Even automatic is still better when you can't change to the exposure level! When i set it to 100 then it will be too dark to capture every light but 200 is also missing out all the sun ray, 400 seems perfect but not smooth.

I'll show you my other day photos. It's quite good in colour, I got it almost the same as DSC-H9 but it is not smooth as it should.

Fcam app still doing better with darker area rendering. But pretty bad still. It is a good start for something so new achieve this good.

You can have a look at the picture below. DSC-H9 taking with automatic sensitive ISO detection and is set to 100 with light measured before taken the picture. N900 is set to 400 to get the same colour as the SONY. I wish there are more ISO option to the camera setting

N900 -400 ISO Exposure 0

SONY:

Save it to your desktop then view full pixel. On my desktop N900 one looks very blockies from light to dark area.

Originally Posted by toxaris View Post
Cool.
I have one example from Indoor.
All thou FCAM have some issues with White Balance, the difference between stockcam and Fcam is big.

With StockCam:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/toxaris/4833693233/
And with Fcam:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/toxaris/4833691863/
Yes I agreed, after all Fcam-driver is still fresh and have not yet widely used. I think it is the first opensource camera driver for maemo. It still needs a lot of work. But it's doing great for something that only just released for less than a month

Fcamera app make a good use of the ISO capability of the camera lense. It support from 80 ISO to 3200 ISO. Which is the same as my DSC-H9. Nokia didn't even include those range into their application at all or may be at the moment. It sure is capable of handling up to 3200 ISO.

I love taking good scenary pictures with good lighting. I find that a a certain area manual configuration won't work because of the exposure setting is still broken. So Automatic is best at that area. I took a few images (automatic and manual) then compared them before I move on to the next photo-shoot target.

Is it possible to install the Fcam application if you are running the "Enhanced Linux Kernel for Power Users" ?

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by juise- View Post
Well, any exposure automation will have difficult time when pointed at the sun, because of the dynamic range of the scene.

My question is, how do you know the exposure used for those images wasn't exactly the point of the author? Especially as these high contrast scenes really do test the limits of exposure algorithms. It's also where HDR excels, as it doesn't have to try and make a choice.
answer is simple: exposure varies so much that if it is intentional, this whole comparision is obivously completely biased.

sorry for being honest but here goes:
this is a load of bs.

no, OP doesn't know how to use exposure compensations. I have ever never seen a HDR that has smaller dynamics than any comparision shot without HDR... until now.

this is still comparision of automatic programs of cameras, not image quality or similar. You just can't find comparision photos that are around +-1EV from any serious camera test... those are all in a spread of something like +-1/3 EV or smaller.

come on, sliding the slider isn't so hard, is it?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Originally Posted by munkiii View Post
Is it possible to install the Fcam application if you are running the "Enhanced Linux Kernel for Power Users" ?
Ya, from here.