Active Topics

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Indeed, nothing like jumping head first into Microsoft's version of iOS, complete with all the lock down it entails. Certainly, MS doesn't want you using a WP7 device as a mobile computer. You have fun in Microsoft's walled garden
I can guarantee you I will get more use and enjoyment out of my WP7 phone than you will out of your n900.

For me, its the right choice. Certainly it has some lockdowns, but the additional services it offers that the n900 does not now, nor will ever have far outweigh any inconveniences any lockdowns will cause. I think the only thing I'll miss will be the multitasking. Then again, thats coming down the pipe soon for WP7 so I won't miss it long.

Finally, I won't be dealing with the subpar camera interface. I won't be stuck on the road wanting to get a song that isn't on my n900 with no easy way to get it. I won't be missing turns because Ovi maps sucks (can't tell you how many times this has happened).

Sure I won't be able to run apache off it, but that was only ever really a gimmick anyway.

The biggest problem is usb drive.

It is like you are buying a brand new car, and cost you 40,000 dollars, and the seller tells you< O btw if one wheel fall off on the road we will replace whole car with a new one, but you will have to be one moth without your car. Or you can SPEND EXTRA and buy protection for that wheel so it would not fall off but the car is gonna be bit more heavier and bigger, like growing fetus on the side

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
This is trumped-up BS. You do have to pay about $10 for the charger. "You can't use the phone while you're charging" is just false if you buy a few batteries, as I suggested in the message you are responding to.
Trumped up yet you admit there's an extra charge... which was exactly what I said. It's an extra charge; what part of that is disputable?

I don't have to buy an external battery charger for any other phone in the last 10 years; but I need to buy one to avoid my microUSB from falling out on my N900?

And why do you have to buy all those chargers and I don't? I find that one is plenty. Of course, paying another $10 or even $20 would be cheap.
It still costs extra. Denial will not bypass that fact.

As for the wear in opening the case, it's about as much of a problem as opening your refrigerator door. Actually, less.
My refrigerator was manufactured to be opened multiple times per day. The battery hatch on a device are typically not.

I've been doing this with Nokia tablets for years without problems. How much experience do you have trying this solution? I suspect zero, judging from the objections you raised.
I bent the tabs on my N810 battery hatch once. Nokia was nice enough to replace that, I pulled my battery out much less after that.

It's not about my experience with your half assed "solution"... it's the simple fact you're in such denial that you've yet to admit that an external battery charger and extra battery(-ies) are an expense over and above the price of the N900 and shouldn't really exist if the damn thing (microUSB) was built right in the first place.

State that first, then I might listen to your "solution". Otherwise, you just added about another $100 to the purchase of an $500+ phone that still might fault out in under a year in regards to the microUSB port - gotta use it to update, move large files around... use the port as it was supposed to be used and not baby it like it might break... oh, because it might break.

Last edited by gerbick; 2010-10-17 at 19:42.

Well N900 is a great phone and dont feel its lacking anything really, but im a tech junkie and want to try something new.
Will give the Nokia E7 a try until a proper Meego phone is out.
Want the usb function to cut away my epson backup unit for the camera.
Also want the hdmi for presentations.
Even though S3 is a pretty inferior OS to the maemo one its functional and keeps battery time waaaay better then the N900 based on a pre production unit I had for a few days.
+creen is superb.
But the N900 is a love/hate phone... Mostly love though

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
ask yourself way are you thinking that and what do you need from a new device? Cant see why you should upgrade already. wait for 2011. It will be a monster with meego, win7 and ny version of android plus ari jaaksi palm might create somthin nice.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
ask yourself way are you thinking that and what do you need from a new device? Cant see why you should upgrade already. wait for 2011. It will be a monster with meego, win7 and ny version of android plus ari jaaksi palm might create somthin nice.
Makes me wonder. How long until we see a Nokia running MeeGo with some WebOS on top. Or HP running WebOS with MeeGo at its core.

MeeGo + WebOS = the new platform(s) for Nokia and HP? Would be kind of cool actually

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
I love the Maemo OS but sometimes you can't beet Android's Google integration . . . I say . . . GET BOTH

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Trumped up yet you admit there's an extra charge... which was exactly what I said. It's an extra charge; what part of that is disputable?

I don't have to buy an external battery charger for any other phone in the last 10 years; but I need to buy one to avoid my microUSB from falling out on my N900?

It still costs extra. Denial will not bypass that fact.

My refrigerator was manufactured to be opened multiple times per day. The battery hatch on a device are typically not.

I bent the tabs on my N810 battery hatch once. Nokia was nice enough to replace that, I pulled my battery out much less after that.

It's not about my experience with your half assed "solution"... it's the simple fact you're in such denial that you've yet to admit that an external battery charger and extra battery(-ies) are an expense over and above the price of the N900 and shouldn't really exist if the damn thing (microUSB) was built right in the first place.

State that first, then I might listen to your "solution". Otherwise, you just added about another $100 to the purchase of an $500+ phone that still might fault out in under a year in regards to the microUSB port - gotta use it to update, move large files around... use the port as it was supposed to be used and not baby it like it might break... oh, because it might break.
You specifically said you can't use your phone while charging. I specifically said that you CAN use your phone while charging.

My solution divides the number of times you typically use the USB port by let's say two hundred. Do you suppose that affects the amount of wear on the USB port?

You want me to "admit" that buying a charger costs money (which is obvious, and I already said the charger costs less than $10) and yet you don't specifically admit that you have zero experience with my solution. You mention a problem you had that I never encountered with the four Nokia tablets I've used external chargers extensively with.

Using an external charger is better than not EVEN IF THERE WAS NO USB PORT PROBLEM. When I started doing this with my N800 the USB problem didn't exist. I am using a similar solution with a non-Nokia phone as well. (A Palm Centro.)

Last edited by geneven; 2010-10-17 at 21:08.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
The n900 sucks at anything other than looking at web pages and sending out text/chat messages.

Mobile computer my ***.

I'm jumping ship to WP7 and I've been suggesting everyone I know to do the same.
hahaha . . . Windows phones really . . . I would rather have a freaking black berry . . . windows phones SUCK like really bad . . . I have a friend of mind who had the HD2 (A beatiful phone hardware wise) . . . and she hated it . . . If your not sticking with Maemo . . . Android or iPhone are the way to go

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
You specifically said you can't use your phone while charging. I specifically said that you CAN use your phone while charging.
Given your scenario... you've removed the battery and you're charging it on a desktop.

How do you use it? Oh.... you have to have an extra battery. Now... while changing batteries, I miss a call. How do I avoid that?

Oh... I don't. Which part of "when you change and/or remove batteries you might miss a call" do you find impossible to believe?

My solution divides the number of times you typically use the USB port by let's say two hundred. Do you suppose that affects the amount of wear on the USB port?
Delays the inevitable. If it happens now or later. Read that long *** thread about people that's been ultra careful, shaved the microUSB charger prongs and see how many still have probs. Hell, I'm counting down to when mine will have a problem - and avoiding using it until I absolutely have to.

You want me to "admit" that buying a charger costs money (which is obvious, and I already said the charger costs less than $10) and yet you don't specifically admit that you have zero experience with my solution. You mention a problem you had that I never encountered with the four Nokia tablets I've used external chargers extensively with.
Don't forget to add in the price of that official Nokia battery too. There's no need to experience a damn thing to know that buying an extra battery and an external battery charger costs money.

Which part of that escapes you?

Using an external charger is better than not EVEN IF THERE WAS NO USB PORT PROBLEM. When I started doing this with my N800 the USB problem didn't exist. I am using a similar solution with a non-Nokia phone as well. (A Palm Centro.)
That's how you've decided to use and charge your battery. Kudos.

We're not all like you. Ever thought that? I didn't buy an external charger for my N810. And since Nokia is the one that manufactured the N900 with a faulty as hell microUSB drive; they should give the external battery charger and extra battery for free.

Simply put, you've yet to admit the full, honest truth son. When you buy an official charger, an official battery... what's the cost?

Here's a hint: it's extra.

Tags
faulty usb, microusb