Originally Posted by Hannu View Post
I have exactly the same problem though I havent installed PR1.2 so I dont think its cause of that.
I took the headset to nokia service and it came back with message that its ok. I tried it in the shop but didnt work, again the headset was sent back to nokia... Still waiting to get it back.
Today got message from store that my headset came back from service.
This time they sent me a new headset but it was completely different model than N900 original, similar to headset of N958GB and it sucks cause the earpieces are different and they dont stay in my ear.
I thought that they would atleast give a new original headset but no.

I went to other store to buy the same headset as the original so I could prove them wrong but it was not in stock. Still I didnt even have to buy one cause the salesman was kind and took original headset from the package of N900 and we tried it in my phone and it worked perfectly.

So I think the service was wrong and my headset was damaged.

I think I`m gonna make a complainment to service and get new original headset.

I still bought new headset (WH-701) but got little disappointed cause N900 doesnt support it.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bristol, UK
hello guyz! I have managed to fix (well not really a fix) my problem with the headset. I went to nokia today and the guy on the reception told me there are many people who have been complaining about this problem. nokia does know about this problem and the only way to fix this problem it to get a new pair of headset. the problem is not with the phone it is with the headset and the firmware. i think nokia has released some new model (but same type) headset which work fine now. I was given one of the new headsets for free today and they work fine I would recommend everyone who is facing this problem to go to nokia and tell them to give you a new pair of headset because this one is faulty. your mobile should still be under warranty so i think you should be getting the headset for free.

@hannu: ya i think you should complain about them. well still im glad youre problem is solved, just like mine

well congrats on somewhat solving the problem! anybody else have a faulty port? Absolutely nothing to do with headphone port works for me, but I don't want to send my n900 in for repairs, as it'll be difficult (especially living in Canada). I'm wondering if alcohol on a Qtip might do anything to help with the problem?

Well this occurred to me today as well. I also have the incident which started it. I was getting on the bus and as I took of my backpack, the headset WH-205 got caught on the pack. Tension occurred on the wire between the mic and the lower portion of the cable but not including the connector. So I unconnected the headset and untangled the wires and reconnected thinking this was business as usual. The result was that the phone did not recognize the headset.

Not bothering with warranty since I don't want to wait from Canada to the states ad the time it takes I decided I should be the guinea pig and open up the headset. Well for one thing, the white line was cut when I opened it up. I think that is the only issue, and the reason is because the white line was given absolutely no give. So any tug or pull on the cable will result in the whiteline dislodging from its connection point. In case you are wondering the white line is labeled M+, I'm guessing the mic positive polarity. Also I suggest others to not bother with trying to open it to fix it. Firstly the lines are thin, and secondly when opening the WH-205, the little circuit board is hot glued, and on the back side the part going to the headphones will most definately rip out the connections. I could waste an hour trying to fix it, or just take out the bluetooth. I have like 4-5 headphones of good quality for my music pleasure. I will miss this for it's dual use.

It is not the phone as most would think ... it is the headset as stated above me.

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Berkeley, CA
I just started having the problem where N900 doesn't recognize the stock Nokia headphone! That head phone works in my PC, and other headphones are recognized by N900.

They closed the bug!!! So where do we go from here?

Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
... Well for one thing, the white line was cut when I opened it up. I think that is the only issue, and the reason is because the white line was given absolutely no give. So any tug or pull on the cable will result in the whiteline dislodging from its connection point...
It was exactly same for me - white line was cut. After little soldering job my headset is working like new :-)

I've just got this problem yesterday and can't manage to find a solution. This morning, I and the technician of Nokia Care here try lots of headset and find out that only the headset that came with Nokia E63 works with my N900, but the sound quality is terrible.

I don't know what happen because the phone always recognize that there is a headset plugged in (dmesg report) but the sound always come out from the speaker, not the headset.

Confusing.

P.S: It's very strange that although there is no sound come out from the headset, the music player stil stop playing whenever I take out the jack.

Is there anybody has the same problem with me?

Last edited by sollos; 2010-12-31 at 07:01.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
For the record, I've just faced the same problem with my stock n900 headphones. They were used for 10 times or so, so I don't think that the problem is with wiring. And they work with my laptop just fine. The problem occurred right after incoming phone call. I've accepted the call, then pulled them out to talk via phone, and then pulled them back in after the call was finished. That's pretty much it

Edit: Also I have a strange pulsating noise, like bad TV signal or something, when I plug in the handset very slowly.

Edit 2: Looks like very slow plugging in kinda fixes the problem with sound transmitting to the headphones, although n900 still doesn't show me handset icon. Stay tuned.

Last edited by wazd; 2011-01-15 at 23:13.

Posts: 511 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Trinidad and Tobago
Originally Posted by wazd View Post
For the record, I've just faced the same problem with my stock n900 headphones. They were used for 10 times or so, so I don't think that the problem is with wiring. And they work with my laptop just fine. The problem occurred right after incoming phone call. I've accepted the call, then pulled them out to talk via phone, and then pulled them back in after the call was finished. That's pretty much it

Edit: Also I have a strange pulsating noise, like bad TV signal or something, when I plug in the handset very slowly.

Edit 2: Looks like very slow plugging in kinda fixes the problem with sound transmitting to the headphones, although n900 still doesn't show me handset icon. Stay tuned.
Same issues started a while ago, the headset is lose (well it wiggles) but that might have been always like that, it makes the same sound when plugged in slowly and I have to wiggle it around to get it to work, unplug it, re-plug it etc. Works fine in my PC

I miss my N900
Hello DELL Venue Pro Mango
Listen to my music >>> www.reverbnation.com/rrule

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

I have same problem with my N900 and its headset.
What is solution?