Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Hi guys got a bit of a problem, here goes.
Background:-

Was using Titans Kernel(No problems and not connected but thought I'd mention it.)
I was trying out VLC Alpha release with great success(Luggage Ver) Then I decided to try out the new release so went about uninstalling.
I executed usual uninstall commands as it is neccessary with this release.
apt-get uninstall vlc
vlc not found ect.

So in my infinate wisdom I thought well I need to remove all vlc files including libraries ect so I foolishly executed

apt-get uninstall vlc*

This then proceded to uninstall vlc but I noticed it uninstalled lots of other stuff incluuding browser and all associated files aswell as certain icons such as wifi/cell signal ect.

After alot of pain in trying to restore said applications and files I resorted to a reflash which is not uncommon. BUT
After reflashing firmware I went to Backup and there wernt any there which I thought was strange. I then went into file manager and it was then that it said memory card was corrupt and not supported. I then obiously took card out reinserted and rebooted ect several times to no avail. I then tried the card in my wifes N97 which worked perfect. To be on the safe side I connected N97 to computer made backup and formated the card. Inserted back in same as before card corrupted.
I then thought to myself maybe I've deleted something really back and flashed EMMC and firmware again.
Restarted and same message card corrupt. I then did a back up from the copy which did not help.

I have checked mount which shows ext3 mount mmcblk0p2.
Also I have looked in /dev and can see mmcblk1 so the N900 is recognising the card but there is no partition.

I have tried
fsck.vfat -a /dev/mmcblk1p1
Which obviously returns no such file or directory.

fsck.vfat -a /dev/mmcblk
Returns Inpu/Output error.

fsck.vat -f /dev/mmcblk1
Returns Superblock invalid try another superblock ect.

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated please.
Thanks in advance.

plug it up to a windows (apple or linux may have these kinda toos too but i am not familiar with them) then do the various disck checkign for errors and automatic fixes of bad sectors and things liek that. i have had toruble in the past with this kinda stuff but it wasnt anything the the xp couldnt fix. xp has some pretty powerful tools good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to andraeseus1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Queens, NY
I'm having some corrupted issues with my 16GB card as well and I think it's something to do witht he phone and not the card because my card works fine until I insert it into my N900.

My thread about my issue: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57048

---
Who but me?!
--HeavyC.

The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyComponent For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the suggestions but forgot to mention I have tried a known working sd card out of my wifes N97 and that says same thing so I dont think its the card itself. I think it is more of a software issue with the phone. I think I have ruled out hard ware issues as I can see mmcblk1 in /dev and when I connect to computer it can see the card although it is still unrecognised. Just to be sure I have just formatted and checked for bad sectors in card which all went ok.
So I am left with either a software or hardware issue. I am dubious as to a hardware issue as it all worked ok before I deleted said files and reflashed.

Anyone else any ideas? really clutching at straws here??

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
The problem is a common one and that is the sd card not making contact properly so to put it right you need to make sure the metal clip is pushing the sd card down properly, try lifting the clip up and pushing the centre to make it a tighter fit and make sure you get the 2 lips in place under the plastic when you push the clip down to secure the sd card.

I have seen this problem twice so far on different 900's and same cure each time, also random "corrupt" in the file manager occurs because of this problem.
Make sure the contacts on the sd card and device are clean.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2010-07-15 at 09:32.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think this has historically been an issue with certain sd cards, going back to the N800 and N810. It seems to me that it is usually solved eventually by reformatting the cards in Windows or maybe Linux. The stubborn cases in which it hasn't been solved seem to be card or even user-related. Sometimes sophisticated systems like the N900 serve as early warnings that a card is going bad.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post: