Posts: 131 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
Originally posted in: How many working N900 do you currently own?

Originally Posted by ffha View Post
Three N900.

The cellular connectivity and wifi modules of my first one broke down, so I turned it into a homeserver by hooking up an ethernet adapter and a hard drive, which required some custom cabling to hook it all up together without either the N900 or the hard drive dying because of low power.
It hosts a website, has mpd (hooked up to a big stereo set) and shares content (mostly family photos) from the hard drive with DLNA.

The second one was a fine replacement, but a short while ago the USB broke off and I was unable to solder it back in place, which rendered it incapable of being my day-to-day phone.
I hooked up two BL-5J batteries and a li-ion charger in series to the N900 to keep it charged at all times, shoved it into a small replacement shell and hooked it up to my television set, where it now acts as a retro emulator (mostly PS1, NES, SNES, Genesis).
To control it from the couch, I wrote my own sixaxis control scheme which enables me to control the mouse pointer with the right analog stick (and I added the ability to click, of course, by pressing R3). To actually have a visible mouse pointer, I extracted a program from freemangordon's extmouse and made it run on startup.

The third is my current phone. The fact that it is, saddens me greatly - since the N900, no other phone satisfies my needs. My girlfriend has a Galaxy Note, which is a nice piece of hardware, but she can't even play a music video on YouTube and chat with me at the same time (official YouTube-app) with that thing... "Smartphone".
Looking forward to Jolla breaking the current monopoly that is Android and iOS!

I love the N900 and I actively use all three of mine on a daily basis.

The Following User Says Thank You to ffha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Philippines, Singapore & Hong Kong
Just an observation. Since most of us here are still rooting ( pardon the pun ) for our beloved N900s, has anybody conceived yet / raised a request already to emulate the maemo 5 fremantle os using the N9 meego/harmattan hardware & software?

Below are my thoughts & ideas as to why this might be a feasible project:

- In terms of performance, imagine running the maemo 5 os an N9. Everything will be snappier.

- Nostalgia left & right. We have the panoramic desktop with all the widgets we're longing for and all the rest of the features of the fremantle os running on an N9.

- A multitude of apps that can run natively eliminating the need for porting.

These are just some of what I had in mind. Think of it this way guys, I love and miss my 8-bit NES graphics that's why I try to reconnect with them every once in a while with my PC.

What can I say? I'm a nostalgic type of guy who appreciates using a tried & tested platform.

regards to all,
rmh

Last edited by rmh; 2013-02-02 at 20:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rmh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Kajaani, Finland
N900 is my primary phone and pocket linux box, has been since Dec 2009. Sometimes it also acts as my Swiss army knife when battling at digital frontier of working life.

At work I use primarly N9 as a businness phone. It just makes me smile, when colleagues are strugling with their WP-devices while my N9 shows uptime of 21 days...

And the coding competition 2012 award N950 is my phone for Sundays =)

I guess I'll be happy Nokia Linux phone user for many years to come.

The Following User Says Thank You to jukra For This Useful Post:
Nokia N900 is my only device. I bought a second one as insurance before it was taken out of the market. I hope these will get me going to 2020

Peraps the world is more free then.

I bought the N9 as a toy. Don't like the interface, and hate touch keyboard. It's far better than the "kid toys" Iphone and Android regarding interface, but not anywhere near the N900.

Iphone is basically like symbian with some smarter apps. Thats it, the interface is so 2001.

N900 is still the BEST mobile device that exist, but I imagine by 2015 there will be something better. Iphone just cought up with the storage space of N900, so did some android models.

But I could just use a 64gb micro SD and catch up with them again.

I do however wish I had the N9 as the screen on N900 and Galaxy S3 performance/smoothness/specs.

N900 does what I need to, and it does it in a brilliant way, far more intuituve for me than the nasty huge but thin phones without proper keyboard does.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zeebra For This Useful Post:
im new to this website as well as N900...bought a second hand N 900 last month and trying things on it..i had been using nokia S 60 mobiles so far....
i tried a lot to flash the mobile as it has many troubles...the story is very long as of my flashing...still not fully successful....
i hope i'm in right place for help...where can i ask my doubts regarding N 900?
kindly reply..

The Following User Says Thank You to legendracer For This Useful Post:
N900 is primary phone.
Because I like Maemo OS, so
N900 is hard to replace with anything else.

Ofcourse I like put USB-stick to phone
and change second battery on the road
if first one is empty.

Last edited by teroyk; 2013-02-03 at 18:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rmh View Post
raised a request already to emulate the maemo 5 fremantle os using the N9 meego/harmattan hardware & software?
Ofcourse, but different device. It would be nice not emulate, but install Maemo as only OS in another phone. Example forth coming Jolla Phone or Nokia E7 or N950 or just Maemo terminal to Nokia 9500.

Last edited by teroyk; 2013-02-03 at 18:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Today I went on a head to head music-quality (through headphones) comparison between N9 & N900.

I have both phones in high esteem when it comes to music (among other things of course) but I have to give it to the N900.

A tad louder, more bass, and wider "audio spectrum" (if I can call it that).
N900 also takes less time switching between songs. It is noticable faster. It is almost a good 0.5'' faster. Almost gapless.

N900 takes... 0.6'' and N9 takes around 1.1''

*artists tested: Daft Punk, The Prodigy, Metallica : D

Last edited by HELLASISGREECE; 2013-02-04 at 00:24.

I have used the N900 since purchasing it 4 years ago. It is still the best phone in so many ways. Just my opinion, naturally,

JWilhelm

The Following User Says Thank You to j2u For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by j2u View Post
I have used the N900 since purchasing it 4 years ago. It is still the best phone in so many ways. Just my opinion, naturally,

JWilhelm
4 years ago it didn't exist : )

It came out fall 2009.

*You are an old N900 user, you should post more tbh

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900