Notices

Jazz Jackrabbit is a fast-paced, colorful side-scrolling shooter from Epic MegaGames in 1994. It was made for MS-DOS and had 9 episodes each with 3 planet themes across 7 levels. Being a floppy disk game I'm sure you can imagine how modest the system requirments are.

While the original game is not open-source, Alister Thomson has made a game engine recreation for Jazz. It already has ports on many similar systems like the PSP, GP2X and GP32, so I assume a Maemo port is realistic. It does require the original or shareware game files. It would be awesome to have this game.

Further reading:
Wikipedia Page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_Ja...8video_game%29
OpenJazz site: http://alister.eu/jazz/oj/discuss.php
Official thread: http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=18173

Last edited by CyberCat; 2012-02-06 at 06:24.

Looks possible so I'm sure someone who still remembers Diablo does it for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Yes it really would be great to see this game on the N900, too.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
While the original game is not open-source, Alister Thomson has made a game engine recreation for Jazz.
It seems to me that this engine is still a bit incomplete. The attached version doesn't have any fancy maemoification yet, and for some reason it hangs in the closeAudio() routine. Maybe it is enough to give a first impression, but be prepared to end experiments with killall -9 openjazz.

I got the Jazz Jackrabbit shareware files from Haze's Hideout, put them into /media/mmc1/openjazz and renamed them to lower case (there is an UPPERCASE_FILENAMES compile time option, but it is disabled here).

The game starts from the menu or from the terminal with "/usr/games/openjazz /media/mmc1/openjazz".
Attached Files
File Type: deb libmodplug0c2_0.8.7-1_armel.deb (169.4 KB, 212 views)
File Type: deb openjazz_0.0+svn3_armel.deb (58.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: gz openjazz.tar.gz (327.1 KB, 127 views)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Heh, I compiled a version without music before noticing pH5s message. It expects to find data files from either memory card under share/openjazz, has menu icon etc. I compiled it in Sheevaplug, but it seems to run fine on tablet. openjazz_svn-r3_armel.deb

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Wow, ill give it a try as soon my N900 is here I think DosBox would run well too... I hope for GBA Emu.

DOSbox should run perfectly fine, as it does already on the OpenPandora console (same hardware as the N900). on www.openpandora.org you can see a video where they run DarkForces in Dosbox and it flies.

Originally Posted by ukki View Post
Heh, I compiled a version without music before noticing pH5s message. It expects to find data files from either memory card under share/openjazz, has menu icon etc. I compiled it in Sheevaplug, but it seems to run fine on tablet. openjazz_svn-r3_armel.deb
I downloaded the sw file from pH5s post, extracted the contents in /mmc1/share/openjazz and installed openjazz_svn-r3_armel.deb from your post. The game seems to start, but then nothing happens - no window, no complain, etc. Maybe it is unnable to find the game files?!
Do I need to rename all the game files in lowercase as mentioned above?