Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Here we go.

No, wait, wrong account.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
C'mon .. go get iphone and just by buying that thing you will give steve permission to know 24/7 where you are by GPS location.

This is just something I really do not understand;

If you ever use your web browser, you are giving out personal information (oh boy, most of you doesn't even realise what can be digged out from web server side)

if you ever use any WAP services (old scholl I know) you are allready giving your phone number , and so much more, away.

If you use SMS, you are giving out your personal information.

If you make a call, OR answer one, you are giving away your personal information.

So, from people living on countries involved ECHELON ! I see only group of hypocrates whining for something irrelevant.

Conclusion; if you really wish to keep your phone *secret* get hardwire ! (or learn how to morse with crypto)

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by nsjra View Post
This is just something I really do not understand;
No problem, you shall be enlightened.

If you ever use your web browser, you are giving out personal information (oh boy, most of you doesn't even realise what can be digged out from web server side)
I call your bluff. This is a geek forum, many people know how this works. I, for one, can recite HTTP by heart and have, repeatedly, used a telnet client to debug a server. I also routinely dump network traffic at OS level, if Firefox would send odd stuff I'd know by now.

I realize quite well what is going on. Nothing sent to a HTTP address is a breach of privacy, any more than any other connection. Should you allow your browser/flash/java to send stuff about you that's another story.

if you ever use any WAP services (old scholl I know) you are allready giving your phone number , and so much more, away.
What? I call your bluff again. Please open a darned book, digital or otherwise. WAP is a networking protocol over wireless and smells like any other network protocol. Several sub-protocols under the Wireless Application Protocol implement simplified access, so older, smaller devices can implement a subset of the full internet connection.

I don't even know where to start. Which WAP service do you think breaches your privacy? I ... is it the simplified HTTP? It's a specialized HTML page, served over TCP/IP. Gateways?

If you use SMS, you are giving out your personal information.
That makes no sense. I choose who to disclose that info to, and WHAT info since many people have a business phone number to share with companies. Except, of course, when Nokia sends out SMSs while hidden.

If you make a call, OR answer one, you are giving away your personal information.
Stop that. By making a call I disclose my phone number at most, nothing if it's hidden by network. By receiving a call I disclose nothing.

Finally, calls are made by me, on my own terms, to people I choose, when and if I choose. It's communication, not assault.

So, from people living on countries involved ECHELON ! I see only group of hypocrates whining for something irrelevant.
I'll guess "hypocrites"? No matter, I say unto you what I have already said. Pick up a book and look stuff up. Hypocrites aren't what you think they are.

In order for me to become a hypocrite in this context I'd have to steal information from other people's phones. Or to condemn Nokia because it's trendy to do so, but support Android doing the same or secretly support Nokia by helping them.

What I am is selective about who I share personal data. Since it's, you know, personal.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I agree with gerbick... I mean ysss... I mean me.

*logs out, retries*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Having just learned of this and having read most of this topic, I have one basic question:
Is there any other use for cherry than sending these messages?
Early on, one person proposed removing the Cherry package entirely, thereby permanently solving the problem. I am seriously thinking about doing this, but is there anything else that uses the cherry executable that I need to know of?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
Having just learned of this and having read most of this topic, I have one basic question:
Is there any other use for cherry than sending these messages?
Early on, one person proposed removing the Cherry package entirely, thereby permanently solving the problem. I am seriously thinking about doing this, but is there anything else that uses the cherry executable that I need to know of?
As far as I know it would be safe to remove the /usr/bin/cherry executable, which is pretty much what Graham's notmynokia package does (well, it replaces it with a blank script). I believe it is hard to remove the cherry package itself due to dependencies.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
What? I call your bluff again. Please open a darned book, digital or otherwise. WAP is a networking protocol over wireless and smells like any other network protocol. Several sub-protocols under the Wireless Application Protocol implement simplified access, so older, smaller devices can implement a subset of the full internet connection.

I don't even know where to start. Which WAP service do you think breaches your privacy? I ... is it the simplified HTTP? It's a specialized HTML page, served over TCP/IP. Gateways?
actually your phone number is sent within headers if gateway is configured that way.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

I've a Nokia N900 locked because I don't accept the OVI's messaging terms and conditions. The device doesn't complete boot if I don't accept.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
I have just submitted two requests to open the components used for this: cherry and libsms. Having either or both open sourced would help with being able to protect people from this.

Of course, it won't happen. But feel free to support the requests by voting for Bug 10869 and Bug 10870.

And, while you are about it, if you haven't already, vote for the bug about this problem: Bug 10366.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Graham Cobb For This Useful Post:
Calling to Nokia's customer service, they said me I need to accept the T&C (this registers an account to MyNokia sevrer) and then I need to call them to unregister.