See his article here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/27/te...ef=global-home

I sent him an e-mail this morning:
Hello sir. I enjoyed your piece on internet calling but you made a erroneous claim:

"Well, we’re getting there. There’s still no app that offers all three of these elements: free calls, to regular phone numbers, from your cellphone. "

That is not true.

I am an owner of the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet , which came out ~ 2006. It has a built in SIP client which I have attached to my Gizmo (now GoogleVoice) number. my GV number is set to forward any calls in receives to this SIP number. So long as I am on the internet via WIFI or Bluetooth DUN to my basic phone, I can place and receive free calls to any phone (in the US). Overseas is a different matter altogether though I was in London last year and could call home using the local US number via the internet had I had 3G service.

The current version of this tablet computer is the Nokia N900 Internet tablet which has a cell radio. Some of my compatriots use this phone with ONLY a data plan and use the above setup for calls and therefore under your statement can make "free calls, to regular numbers from their cellphone."

Of course data access is still not free, but it's never going to be so we can't include that in the discussion.

Cheers.
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sondjata For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
sondjata great reply to his article.

I think David only see's iPhone and Android. If they don't do it then it's not possible. It's really to bad Nokia didn't push the N900 or build a N900 without a keyboard for the US market

In fact I think the biggest mistake they probably made from a marketing standpoint with the Maemo series was not including a capacitive touch screen in the N900. I know the argument goes both ways, but if the market believes it's better (capacitive touch screens), then you have to go with the market or show why your technology is better which they didn't. So no matter how good the N900 was it was always a point someone could make against it.