Posts: 176 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Italy
OMG they released the source code of the Harmattan Kernel O_O!

This is the link to the folder:
http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/pool/...free/k/kernel/

and this is the direct link to the Harmattan Kernel Source:
http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/pool/...10+0m6_all.deb

By exploring the Harmattan Kernel I saw that:
1) a lot of functions are almost the same, something was removed but a lot of "corrections" and libraries were added
2) Inside the libraries I see a lot of references about 3430 so I think that Harmattan Kernel already have the support for 3430..

OMAP 3430 specs
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...er+OT+omap3430
OMAP 3630 specs
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...ontentId=52605

This sentence is very interesting (founded in 3630 specs):
"Software-compatible with OMAP 2 and OMAP 3 processors"
This could means that our N900, that is in OMAP 3 processors series, could be already compatible for Harmattan...

"Optification on the N900 was needed mainly because rootfs space was so limited (256 MB with about 70 MB free) so another partition with more space was needed. On the N9/N950 rootfs (i.e. /dev/root) is 4 GB and more than 80% (i.e. over 3 GB ) of it is free, which means that on rootfs itself there is more space than on optfs in N900... Shortly speaking, no need for optification anymore.

The /opt/ folder is still there, but it is just a normal folder on rootfs, not a separate file system / partition symlinked to optfs like on N900. Separate opt partition does not exist anymore. The /opt/ folder remains for compatibility reasons, so that apps ported from N900 can still use it, while actually being installed directly on rootfs.

The /home/ folder is separate partition (mmcblk0p3) and on the N9/N950 it is 2 GB.

MyDocs is another partition (mmcblk0p1) and it is about 10 GB. That's in case of 16 GB N9s and the N950. There will also be a 64 GB version of the N9 where the MyDocs folder will probably be around 58 GB.

To recap, there are the following partitions:
- rootfs 4 GB
- home 2 GB
- MyDocs about 10 GB"

So we know that a possibile cause of "it sputtered and failed" could be a failed try by the new kernel to make a new partition dedicated to the rootfs of 4GB while our is limitated to 256 mb..
Another thing that came in my mind about n950 rootfs is that 80% free of 4 gb is 3,2 gb free so the minimum of the rootfs space required (without changes) would be 812 mb or more...

EDIT: As I supposed, after unpacking the rootfs I noticed a total size of 612 mb...less from what I've thought but still more than 256 mb...
1) A crazy idea is try to "cut" the rootfs from any file that could be not necessary (I've seen a folder that contains a free version of Angry Birds for example, that could be cut away) to fit 256 mb of our rootfs but, if we achieve that step, I don't know how to rebuild the "stripped" rootfs
2) Proceed in Hurrian work, but using a modified Harmattan Kernel that point to the MMC
3) More crazy and useless, swap the rootfs partition and the "swap" partition, so we will have Harmattan installed in Maemo-swap (612 mb in 768 mb) but It will be slower and then use rootfs as SWAP (256 ram + 256 rootfs-RAM)

Last edited by blackjack4it; 2011-10-18 at 15:55.

Cleaned up my messages

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
could we possibly use the newer kernel along with fremantle? So that it's easier to port new features over instead of backporing them to the old kernel?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
could we possibly use the newer kernel along with fremantle? So that it's easier to port new features over instead of backporing them to the old kernel?
Sorry but I don't have enough knowledge to answer your question

I've found that comparison, so linuxtesting.org already tried to deeply compare Harmattan and Maemo...

http://linuxtesting.org/compatibilit...at_report.html

The Following User Says Thank You to blackjack4it For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Wellingborough, UK
Ok so reading this, Meego for the N900 isn't out yet, but may well be on the way? I love the fact people are still working on the N900, makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. I'll end-up using this phone till I die, or till an upgraded version comes out.

Meego is available for the N900 and is working quite ok. Not the flavour that is on the N9 of course, that's more like Maemo 6. Search for meego ce 1.3 for how to get Meego on your N900

hey, would it be possible to run harmattan on the N900 in chroot? just thinking... Easy-Harmattan

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
hey, would it be possible to run harmattan on the N900 in chroot? just thinking... Easy-Harmattan
I gave it a shot about a week ago I think, here is the relevant thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=57

I would think that the missing aegis stuff is either from /home partition (as I am missing all of it from an N9, help appreciated) and/or missing instructions in the kernel (seem to recall aegis had some roots in the kernel). So what you said about porting newer features of the new kernel to the N900 kernel (aegis & harmattan required only) and obtaining a /home dump could be enough to make this work would be pretty cool
EDIT: Oh and the problem was not exactly as on the linked pastebin in the linked post, on the linked pastebin it was non-root user trying to apt-get, in my case it was the restok.conf lines around the 30-something in the pastebin
EDIT2: I see the Meego 1.3 CE is kernel 2.5.35 while harmattan is 2.6.32... shame, copying modules from the CE into harmattan would be cool, seems it will not work
EDIT3: Yes, an aegis folder inside the kernel, that would help explain why I failed would be cool if compiled cleanly against N900 kernel headers as a module, might just check... Or I am probably talking bullsh*t

Last edited by pablocrossa; 2012-05-28 at 01:10.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
OK, this might be plain stupid thing to ask but would it be possible to run Harmattan on Neo900? It should have more memory and also faster processor than N900.

Posts: 217 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Indonesia, Banyuwangi
Its for N900 or Meego?

Tags
harmattan, meego