I have to say I'm very disappointed with the OS2008 Media Player on the N800.

1. It plays _none_ of my personally encoded videos. Divx, Xvid and h264 fail with unsupported format. I did download some video podcasts from CNN & NBC which played (*.m4v) but the audio was out-of-sync with video in each case.

2. When starting Media Player it goes into a sync that ran for two hours before I killed it (I have 4 gig of mp3s). Kagu indexed them in minutes.

I realize that the NIT is not advertised as a PMP. However, my Treo 700P exhibits better behavior than this!

I hope that mplayer for OS2008 performs better than this.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I have to say I'm very disappointed with the OS2008 Media Player on the N800.
Huh, my feelings are exactly the opposite. Everything works great for me and is much faster than on OS2008

All of my old encoded media works fine. If I'm playing something on the device, I'm re-encoding ahead of time, so I don't know what's going on here. :\

Might want to get to writing bug reports. There might be just enough time to fix some of this before OS2008 hits (assuming it hasn't already been fixed internally or isn't just something wrong with your setup).

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2007-11-17 at 00:15.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
All of my old encoded media works fine. If I'm playing something on the device, I'm re-encoding ahead of time, so I don't know what's going on here.
What formats General?

Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
1. It plays _none_ of my personally encoded videos. Divx, Xvid and h264 fail with unsupported format. I did download some video podcasts from CNN & NBC which played (*.m4v) but the audio was out-of-sync with video in each case.
What video and audio codecs are you using for your personally encoded videos? what kind of container?

Are you using supported resolutions/bitrates/etc?

I think it's pretty picky.. but it'd be nice if it gave a more detailed message than "unsupported format", such as "resolution too high", "xxx audio codec not supported.."

Edit: as with General, my old videos work as well, and seem to work better using the built-in Media player. I'm using 770-encode.pl, slightly modified for the N800.

Last edited by dblank; 2007-11-17 at 00:24.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Well some formats are certainly very picky and (aparently) more resource intensive. I have a simple little 320x240 220Kbps WMV file that Media Player struggles with and pauses throughout. Then there is a 400x280 700Kbps xvid that plays smooth as silk. Go figure...

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
I, too, am having trouble with some personally encoded (divx) videos too. In fact Media Player doesn't even recognise them as video files.

or isn't just something wrong with your setup
No there isn't, these files played perfectly under OS2007.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Well some formats are certainly very picky and (aparently) more resource intensive. I have a simple little 320x240 220Kbps WMV file that Media Player struggles with and pauses throughout. Then there is a 400x280 700Kbps xvid that plays smooth as silk. Go figure...
OS 2008 plays .avi xvid files natively? Without installing anything additional, directly through Media Player?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Another thing which kind of sucks is that when i press the right keypad the old os used to toggle to the next internet radio stream. But it is not doing that anymore. i used this a lot while listening to intrnet radio in my pocket. Now i need to take it out and toggle to the next stream which really sucks.

And the stream information for the radio station does not change after the next song comes up.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by DoS View Post
OS 2008 plays .avi xvid files natively? Without installing anything additional, directly through Media Player?
Yeah, that's odd. But it's been playing the little clips I've encoded (and converted) using Xilisoft's Video Converter at work. I was using it's "XviD Movie (*.avi)" profile and trying a few things. I'll have to look at that more on Monday as it isn't even on the list.

To be honest, I don't have any specially encoded videos for the N800. I have well over a terabyte of encoded video (done with handbrake) on my Linux media server, in both xVid and h264 format. It all plays wonderfully, on my 60" HDTV LCD in the livingroom, on my office PC and on my Palm Treo 700P using TCPMP.

Our admin Reggie posted two N810 tutorials in .m4v format and ironically, they both failed on the N800/OS2008.

So, is the Treo 700P ARM processor more powerful than the N8X0? Or is it that TCPMP is better software? I'm not trying to beat up on my N800...I was just hoping that I could use it for casual video. Perhaps mplayer will be better.