Partly related to the "dead"-part of this thread... My N9 falled down from 90 cm and the screen broke. The repair would be almost half the price of a new one, so I just ordered a new one on the webshop of a company we use at work.

An hour later they called me and asked if I was sure I wanted this phone, because noone ordered it anymore. Everyone wanted the Windows-phone. I laughed and said I was totally sure that I didn't want Windows.

But the point is that this is a rather big company selling a lot of phones here. And noone buys N9, while many buy Lumia. Pity. Still the price wasn't very cheap for the new N9 at all...

The Following User Says Thank You to sjordet For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I'm not a developer or major
[*]"Tizen" is essentially Intel/LF's successor to Moblin, with a few Maemo folks involved, using HTML5 As A Software Framework and EFL. (Incidentally, that last leaves me screaming in horror.)
....[/LIST]
Does that help?
Oh man, EFL (European Football League) gives me the chills

Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
"Plan B is to make Plan A work" These are Elops words. And what do you think would happen the the company if after the fail of WP lets say at the end of Q3 beginning of Q4 they announce they are going to shift strategy again and go android, Nokia is already the laughing stock of the mobile world it would lose the very little credibility it has. And even if they go on and do that they simply can't afford it. The sad truth is that Nokia signed it's death sentence on Feb 2011 and now its just waiting for the execution.
It's harder than ever to predict where Nokia is going. Large parts of Nokia are spiraling downward and plans set in stone may crumble while older plans see the day. New plans can be made overnight.

The Lumia series aren't doing all that bad. Nokia Store is doing extremely well. Nokia has turned 180 degree and the 808 is headed to most market due to popular demand. The N9 is dead as a rock by now unfortunately.

Meltemi may actually be the plan B, but only for Nokia, and they would have to start from scratch regarding higher end smartphones. The Nokia/MS partnership lives and dies with the Lumia series. If the Lumia series go south, that partnership is dead.

As of today the most anticipated phone is the 808 PureView, and that phone is running Symbian. Who would have guessed that a year ago?

Lots of things may happen to Nokia, but IMO one thing is for sure; Nokia is far from dead. I am very pleased that the 808 will be available through the normal channels after all, it sure as hell will be my next phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
One can argue that the maemo5 is more alive than meego. And if we going back in time I would say that n900 had more things going on. I think maemo 5 will survive longer than meego.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by sjordet View Post
An hour later they called me and asked if I was sure I wanted this phone, because noone ordered it anymore. Everyone wanted the Windows-phone. I laughed and said I was totally sure that I didn't want Windows.

Happened here too when I bought my second N9 (as workphone.) I dont think its true people dont WANT it but thing is: The resellers get alot more money from MicroNokia for selling WP devices instead.

This is how the Bussiness always has worked. Especially when we talk about Microsoft :-(

Theyr products is often not better but still people is so damn stupid and buy theyr arguments over and over again.

Thats why I also say Android is also doomed in a year or so :-/

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-03-17 at 12:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Happened here too when I bought my second N9 (as workphone.) I dont think its true people dont WANT it but thing is: The resellers get alot more money from MicroNokia for selling WP devices instead.

This is how the Bussiness always has worked. Especially when we talk about Microsoft :-(

Theyr products is often not better but still people is so damn stupid and buy theyr arguments over and over again.

Thats why I also say Android is also doomed in a year or so :-/
Apple will go long before Android.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

On 11 February 2011, Nokia's CEO Stephen Elop, a former Microsoft employee, unveiled a new strategic alliance with Microsoft, and announced it would replace Symbian and MeeGo with Microsoft's Windows Phone operating system[...] except for mid-to-low-end devices, which would continue to run under Symbian.[...]
(from Wikipedia)

obviously 808 PureView is closer to flagship then any m$ device from NOKIA right now...
maybe Flop's influence (& time) are running out...

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Same thing going on in Finland, all the salesmen are praising WP over N9, but crowd is saying the opposite on forums

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rotterdam, port to Europe !

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
maybe Flop's influence (& time) are running out...
Although I don't think WP is a bad thing vs Symbian/Meego for the general public, the 808 could be an indication that Elop's influence is starting to crack. But it could also be that he has done what he set out to do, flood the market with Nokia phones running WP. The phones, the hardware, is excellent and if people don't like them, it's all because of the OS. But people like them, and sellers certainly push them.

But don't be fooled by Nokia. We often think Microsoft is the big bad wolf, but Nokia is just as bad. They wouldn't think twice dropping MS on the floor if the Lumias are not selling well enough. Nokia will live through this crisis by innovative hardware (808, Meltemi phones), MS will be stone dead for all future.

I think Lumias are doing somewhat OK, not excellent, but good enough. WP is becoming better and better, and it is only a matter of time before Nokia/WP is selling better than Apple if all goes well. Q2 2012 will show if MS is dead or not regarding phones.

Qt is far from dead:
http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/...w-looks-so-qt/

Symbian, S40 and Meltemi just around the corner?
http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/...and-series-40/

Tags
buysomethinelse, it's undead, maemo's dead, meego's dead, r-d-f, tizen lives, winding down