I've been using the 'low swipe' in apps that have lenghty pull down menus (place finger just above the bottom rim of touchscreen, swipe down and whole menu is exttended when you reach edge), I know this is more of a tjc post rather than tmo, but wanted to see what ppl think before potentially posting it there, probably missing something obvious, sooo here goes:
make that gesture scroll all the way to the top if in a long list.

Pros: insta access to pulley menu even when at 100th item or so, no need to start scrolling up, push the quick scroll and only then get to the menu (which can again be lengthy in itself)
Cons: not that many I can think of, myself usually scroll lists with the thumb somewhere in the middle, don't think it would cause that much confusion

Thoughts?

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
automatically sctolling while you holding finger is bad idea imho.

Originally Posted by coderus View Post
automatically sctolling while you holding finger is bad idea imho.
No, once you reach edge, same as currently, at first you'd be scrolling normally, but once you leave screen space you'd end up on top with the pulley menu already fully extended. Similar to what happens now with pulley menu, if you place your finger close to bottom at first it starts extending normally, just when you leave touchscreen it goes into instant-extension mode

then i can't understand what you mean o_O

Open any silica app with pulley menu that has 3+ items, start extending it with finger starting just above the lower edge (so you reach item 1, max 2), when your finger leaves active touchscreen area menu instantly shows all items (probably assuming you wanted to reach those higher items but just ran out of touchscreen space), implement same assumption when in a long list, if I scroll towards the top and my finger leaves touch area, I probably wanted to get higher, so teleport to the top and make pulley menu readily available

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 409 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Germany
I think, I know what he means.

Current behaviour:
You are at the top of an list with an pulley menu. If you drag your finger down the display, the menu opens (item by item). When you movement overshoots the display, the menu gets fully opened, so that you can tap on a menu item.

His suggestion:
When you are in the middle of a long list, you should be able to open the pulley menu with the same gesture. You move your finger down (which at first scrolls the list a bit up) and as soon as you overshoot the display, the list scrolls to the top and the pulley menu is fully opened.

I hope, I understood it correctly

The Following User Says Thank You to ejjoman For This Useful Post:
Okay, but you shouldn't fix pulley behaviour, but punch such developers putting so much items in pulley meus. Seriously.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 409 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Germany
Yes, indeed.
But I think it's not about the item count.

It's more about faster access to pulley menus, without the need to scroll the whole list up first.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ejjoman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ejjoman View Post
I hope, I understood it correctly
Yup, perfectly.

coderus:
Punching developers is not advised
Again, problem is not long pulley menus, getting back to them. Ever looked for that email from a week ago? Now get back to the top:
Start swipe down for the quick-scroll menu to show up, click on the top part of it, now start pulleying... and voila. In my scenario you get there instantly

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Indeed a very good idea!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post: