Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Perhaps I should just remove that option...
Perhaps. Before people start using it

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Hmm, I suppose so... Torchio is never going to do more than read the data, so there should never really be any advantage to letting it do the file manipulation work internally, right? (I don't think there'd be any advantages to letting Torchio do the error handling, for example...) Perhaps I should just remove that option...
I would also remove the "-f". Unix piples FTW!

I can imagine using ssh/netcat to remotely pipe messages to torchio

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Actually, now that I think about it, there probably are a few situations where files would provide more functionality. (In particular, if you wanted to display a particular message in a loop, the way that Lanterne can.) I'll go ahead and keep both options for now.

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
I can imagine using ssh/netcat to remotely pipe messages to torchio
Yeah, I was doing a bit of that during testing. (I guess it's sort of the thing people were doing with espeak a while back...)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Torchio version 0.0.2 is now heading up to the extras-devel repository. This update contains support for parsing ASCII text into Morse code.
Now we need just another app from you reading the sent out light codes by the camera somehow and read it out via espeak

Thanks for all the fish (erm pasta)!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
Forgive me for asking, but why, after Lanterne have you done this?

The Following User Says Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by king Ralphred View Post
Forgive me for asking, but why, after Lanterne have you done this?
Well, three or four folks in the Lanterne thread asked for a command-line interface a couple of days ago, and I've been wanting to create a command-line Qt app for a while myself (just to see how best to do it). As it turned out, combining a graphical user interface and a command-line interface into one app is not at all easy (and the Qt folks make it hard on purpose), so I went ahead and created a separate app...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Well, three or four folks in the Lanterne thread asked for a command-line interface a couple of days ago, and I've been wanting to create a command-line Qt app for a while myself (just to see how best to do it). As it turned out, combining a graphical user interface and a command-line interface into one app is not at all easy (and the Qt folks make it hard on purpose), so I went ahead and created a separate app...
Quick reply...
Indeed, if you wish to control the flashlight from a batch script, it would be inconvenient to have gui of Lanterne starting up - even if it shuts down after executing the commands. And it would be fairly difficult to have both visible-gui and invisible-command-line packed in one app.
So, yes. Lanterne for manual signals, and Torchio for batch mode? Something like that. For example, if you want to read the incoming SMS messages by having the bright flashlight illuminate your surroundings with Morse code, torchio is brilliant.
After all, it's fairly difficult to manually control the coloured-led: if I remember correctly, MCE gives different led sequences for different types of events, never mind what the content of the event is.
I can imagine it. An SMS comes in. The mode is 'Silent-NoScreen'. The coloured led repeats, as usually, the blue-or-whatever led blinking until you notice it at last (a short break in a meeting?). Then, you open the camera-lens-cover, and red flashlight blinks in Morse code to tell you the content of SMS. The SMS is marked 'Read' as soon as you close the cover. If you weren't able to read the Morse code from first attempt, half-press the camera button to repeat the message. If you want to reply to SMS, full-press the camera button, and it will bring up the SMS-write interface to the sender of the received SMS.
It's just a possible exaple of what can be done. I am not even sure how to do it. It would be a handy extension of hildon-notifications, though. Along with espeak reading the notification text if the mode is 'General-NoScreen'.
Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
And it would be fairly difficult to have both visible-gui and invisible-command-line packed in one app.
Is that a challenge? In that case, I accept! (It may take a while though, starting with coming up what kind of app this should be. Any ideas?)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Is that a challenge? In that case, I accept! (It may take a while though, starting with coming up what kind of app this should be. Any ideas?)
Actually, it isn't _so_ hard to do; but, if you want to do that with Qt, you either have to live with your QApplication object starting up a gui in the background even when just used as command-line, or set up both a QApplication and a QCoreApplicaton in the main function, and parse through the command-line args _before_ you pass them to Qt in order to figure out which one to instantiate... Pretty annoying either way.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You could start with Orecchiette, including the dreaded daemon to record calls without bringing up GUI (but, other command line options would be great... I always liked very much - and I'm fond of - programs that have nice and usable GUI's, but with possibility of doing exactly the same (and more, if combined with shell scripts) via command line. I think I'm command-line worshiper, as I actually think every program should have that

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
flashlight, nokia n900