Posts: 235 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ italy
Originally Posted by delta.br View Post
Why not use the Automatic time sync feature provided by the cell phone network in the clock settings? Is there a special reason to update the clock by ntp?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=433416&postcount=4

I think this link doesn't answer the question. I am trying to get my N900's clock accurate, but I'm failing. It seems that with or without the "update automatically" checkbox selected my N900 still is never accurate. Maybe it is an operator issue or maybe it is a N900 bug.

So, I would like to hear from you guys: does "update automatically" using the cell network works for you any better than the NTPd?

Thks

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted by myk View Post
Thanks, but I don't think my network (3AU) supports that. I just switched it over to roam on Telstra and the clock was corrected before it jumped back to '3'.

I don't suppose there is a way to use GPS for time? Nanosecond accuracy would be cool :-)
It works for most people
not this guy
how is it a bug if you disable that, and it doesn't update?

hello guys
i set my clock in n900 on update automatically
but sometimes it does and other it stays the same
isnt supposed to correct itself when it s wrong even if i set it wrong!
i noticed that sometimes i get the info that it update to in the field below
and most of the times it s empty
i dont know what control that!
and i wanna ask NTPD use internet not the GSM network!
thanks for reply

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
hi,

i activated the "Update automatically" feature in date and time setting, but nothing changes. Over the last months the difference on my N900 clock slowly increased up to 10min behind. How I can debug the sync feature, can I run it from the shell manually? How often it checks the time?

Thanks,

Keywan

The Following User Says Thank You to prometoys For This Useful Post:
Btw, be a bit careful with openntp. It polls for time every 64 sec, which is a significant drain on standby battery life.

Of course, if you've already got so much crap running that you're below 12 hour standby, you probably wont notice, but those with 3 day standby would find it cut to 1 day probably.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
I have been using ntpd for ages and i dont notice a significant loss in battery time. Both its threads combined use about 20sec of cpu time per 24h. It only has a big impact if your device would otherwise not be online 24/7. Then indeed it will cause battery drain.

CPU time isn't an issue, and not a good metric for standby power use.

Biggest impact would be openntpd on 3g. In worst case (operator dependent), it polls once every 64 secs, and each packet of traffic causes 5 seconds of radio activity.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I don't need second accuracy (have my wrist watch for that) so I manually sync the clock to GPS every now and then, it usually under 20 seconds. There's an app called GPS Recorder or somesuch that also syncs clock when getting a lock.

Only issue is, it's too big. It wants a file to log to, has several buttons, etc. It would be nice if it stopped the GPS but it sorta doesn't, so it's a drain. Also, like I said, big.

I wouldn't mind an app that powered up the GPS every 2 hours or so and tried to get a lock, correcting time (in background). Even an app that did that without a daemon could be easily scheduled via alarmed (my alarmed is broken, but yours will work).

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
As I said. If you need to go online for it, it's clear that it eats battery.
Mine only updates on wifi to which I'm connected almost 24/7. It doesn't connect thru 2G/3G unless that is online for other reasons.