Originally Posted by mece View Post
You can compile it to use gstreamer instead of ffmpeg if you want. Anyway, gnash works fine as a standalone player at least, but it's slower than the official player and the stuff I tried that doesn't work in official flash didn't work in gnash either. So from my experience there are no real benefits right now. I built against the latest from the git repository.

There seem to a fair amount of activity on gnash at least so perhaps it will be better in the future.
User Configuration File

Individual user preferences may be set by editing variables with the .gnashrc file:

~/.gnashrc

HWAccel string Specify the type of Hardware Video Decoder. Currently only vaapi, omap, xv or none are supported. None disables any acceleration support (the default).

please try xv

Renderer string Specify the type of Renderer to use. Currently only agg, opengl, or cairo are supported. The default is AGG, as it doesn't require any special hardware support.

please try opengl and if that doesn't work, try cairo
agg is no good for us

so your config file would look like this:

set HWAccel xv
set Renderer opengl

and if that doesn't work, then try this

set HWAccel xv
set Renderer cairo

obviously check the config file to make sure these values aren't changed/set elsewhere if a default/example config file was automatically generated on the first gnash run!

edit:actually cairo may be better than opengl as i can see native maemo cairo libraries installed but only qt opengl libs, but try both and let us know

Last edited by leetnoob; 2011-03-22 at 06:30.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leetnoob For This Useful Post:
hi mece, curiosity is killing me ... any news?

edit: assuming we get hw acceleration to work, *cough* (getting slightly ahead of ourselves!), then this config parameter also looks interesting

quality [-1|0|1|2|3] Set rendering quality. If set to -1, Gnash will use whatever quality set by the movie being run. If set to any value from 0 to 3 Gnash will lock quality to the specified value (0=low, 1=medium, 2=high, 3=best). Defaults to -1.

Last edited by leetnoob; 2011-03-22 at 07:39.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
@leetnoob It's easier to test by setting the options from the command line.

But you're right, it doesn't use hwaccel.
I used gst rendering because ffmpeg doesn't have hwaccel on N900, so that would be pointless. But it didn't seem to work properly anyway. I'll compile with some other flags and try to include everything so I (or anyone else) can test with different settings without having to recompile.

E: trying this config now: --prefix=/opt/gnash-1 --disable-npapi --disable-kparts --disable-menus --enable-gui=sdl --enable-media=gst,ffmpeg --enable-renderer=opengl,cairo,agg --enable-hwaccel=vaapi,omap,xv

E2: Does anyone happen to have xulrunner-dev for maemo5 armel compiled?

E3: OMG this takes forever!
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Last edited by mece; 2011-03-22 at 09:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
'I used gst rendering because ffmpeg doesn't have hwaccel on N900'

still, the ffmpeg codecs seem incredibly efficent though, i'm really surprised to hear they're not hw accelerated and it's just gst. so maybe using ffmpeg might still be faster than adobe's codecs.. maybe. i'm out of my depth here, but would like to know if there is any relationship between ffmpeg and gst, i.e. does ffmpeg hand stuff over to gst when it can, if anybody can answer..

also, is there any 'drop frames' option in gnash's configure options? maybe that's what the quality paramter does.

a little bit of experimenting ahead, but i feel it's getting close!

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@mece
Does anyone happen to have xulrunner-dev for maemo5 armel compiled?
How about one of those?
http://packages.debian.org/search?ke...=xulrunner-dev

E: trying this config now: --prefix=/opt/gnash-1 --disable-npapi --disable-kparts --disable-menus --enable-gui=sdl --enable-media=gst,ffmpeg --enable-renderer=opengl,cairo,agg --enable-hwaccel=vaapi,omap,xv
Why not try --enable-gui=gtk or --enable-gui=hildon? What I saw in readmes is that sdl is one with least support

Last edited by freemangordon; 2011-03-22 at 09:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Frame dropping

Gnash has a compile-time option to turn on frame-dropping. When enabled, rendering is skipped when it's time to advance the timelines again. The effect of this is that the average FPS is closer to the nominal one, at the cost of missing intermediate renderings.

might be a REALLY good idea to ctrl-C that current compile, and recompile with this option (sorry)

edit: after doing a make clean of course (sorry but i forget this myself sometimes)

Last edited by leetnoob; 2011-03-22 at 09:22.

my n900, and possibly everyone who has mplayer installed has the ffmpeg plugin for gstreamer installed, which... drumroll.. allows ffmpeg to offload to hw accelerated gstreamer when it can. so i think ffmpeg is the way to go. (gstreamer-0.10-ffmpeg).

but for the places it can't offload to gstreamer you really really REALLY need frame dropping enabled,which it does really well.

edit: i knew i was out of my depth, it's actually the other way round..

Gstreamer is a multimedia framework which Gnash can use for decoding audio and video. Gstreamer itself cannot decode anything, so it needs some appropriate decoding-plugins to do the work for it. Remember to install them if you use Gnash with Gstreamer enabled. To get the best out of Gnashs gstreamer-parts, it is recommended to install the gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-good and gst-ffmpeg plugins package

Last edited by leetnoob; 2011-03-22 at 10:43.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leetnoob For This Useful Post:
well, the frame drop option is experimental and therefore turned off by default. you have to modify

path: root/gui/gui.cpp

and change the file directly. best to leave it for now i guess , if it's experimental.

// Define the following macro if you want to skip rendering
// when late on FPS time.
// This is an experimental feature, so it's off by default
//#define SKIP_RENDERING_IF_LATE 1

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
frame dropping works pretty good, but performance is still alot worse than the regular flashplayer. Seems it falls back on agg rendering regardless of which one you choose (Since performance is exactly the same for them all)
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Originally Posted by mece View Post
frame dropping works pretty good, but performance is still alot worse than the regular flashplayer. Seems it falls back on agg rendering regardless of which one you choose (Since performance is exactly the same for them all)
ok, can i suggest you go back to forcing it to use only certain options at compile time, i.e.

--prefix=/opt/gnash-1 --disable-npapi --disable-kparts --disable-menus --enable-gui=sdl --enable-media=gst --enable-renderer=cairo --enable-hwaccel=xv

and make sure you have the gst-ffmpeg package installed in dev and on the phone.. and finally edit the gnashrc file to set those options. if that doesn't work, then things might look a bit more negatron than optimus prime...

maybe include then exclude frame dropping.

it does actually say in the dev manual to only choose one of gst or ffmpeg i think, so maybe that's what went wrong..