Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
What did you expect?
An engineer wasting 2 days of searching/debugging/solving?

No way, the only thing they do (maybe can do) is a full flash. Together with wiping all data (which may/is also a security thing; they do not want / are allowed to see your data, right?). This is the standard (economic) strategy.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
i have a different problem. When i set up my corporate mfe, it automatically asked me to come up with a security code. It asked for letters.and special characters. The mfe did not work, i deleted my corporate mfe account and it.still doesn't let me get rid of the security code, despite all the other accounts set as non-provisional. In order for me to get rid of the security code, i have to wipe out the phone clean. This is a big bug that needs to he addressed.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
What did you expect?
An engineer wasting 2 days of searching/debugging/solving?

No way, the only thing they do (maybe can do) is a full flash. Together with wiping all data (which may/is also a security thing; they do not want / are allowed to see your data, right?). This is the standard (economic) strategy.
Hi Peter,

Yes - actually that is what I would do. As I've written earlier I'm not the only one with the problem - and it has been escallated in Nokia (confirmed several times, at least to my information).

How else would they reproduce the problem, than to test with a device that has it? But that's probably too optimistic, and can explain why they probably won't solve the problem. Consequence: when you don't deal with the root cause, you've got to solve the problem in the distribution/service channel, which is 10 times as expensive and which will cost on your image.

The Following User Says Thank You to MortenS For This Useful Post:
Exactly!
This is yours and also my view/experience.

But not a managers, CEO, EFlop anymore

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Actually - Nokia has done the right thing in this case. I had to help them a little, by telling them that my phone was at the repair-shop - and sure enough I got an sms soon after, that it's now going to Finland to be examined. The reason: It couldn't be repaired in DK, which of course isn't true - they want a phone that has the problem to experiment with.

I think it's fair enough - but the problem is that they're expecting me to wait until end of January to get it back...

Other threads about same problem:

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...ighlight/false

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...e/td-p/1190499

Some seem to have locked their telephone by accident - some (like me) have experienced that the phone locks itself upon a change in the MfE account setting. In my case I changed the server-name, and that was the last I ever did on that device.

Originally Posted by MortenS View Post
Actually - Nokia has done the right thing in this case. I had to help them a little, ...
Not really helping, but more ranting:
this kind of (probably exactly this) sw bug is known since a few years from the E-series symbian phones!
I personally can not understand how this bug survives for such quite long time and also hops over OS borders in Nokia labs?
But, you have done the right thing (seriously).
Believing and hoping heals.
now I shut off

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Other threads about same problem:

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...ighlight/false

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...e/td-p/1190499

Some seem to have locked their telephone by accident - some (like me) have experienced that the phone locks itself upon a change in the MfE account setting. In my case I changed the server-name, and that was the last I ever did on that device.
Have you mentioned this issue to Sergey in this thread?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78480&page=40
He may be able to get access to some folks quickly, to identify what's going on.
And they'll get you to run some tests, gather the appropriate data etc.

*edit*
Alas you've already sent yours off...
Still, can't hurt to raise the issue with him.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Have you mentioned this issue to Sergey in this thread?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78480&page=40
He may be able to get access to some folks quickly, to identify what's going on.
And they'll get you to run some tests, gather the appropriate data etc.

*edit*
Alas you've already sent yours off...
Still, can't hurt to raise the issue with him.
Hi Jalyst,

Thanks for contributing! No, I did not think about that - but that's good input. As you noticed, the phone has been taken to Finland already, and I expect that the developers will be running some tests with it - that's the only reason they could have to send it up there.

But I'll describe it to Sergey also - just in case he is interested or comes across the problem with others...

Have a good weekend!

EDIT: As suggested: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=393

Last edited by MortenS; 2011-12-16 at 18:07.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Tampere Finland
Hi,

running some tests with it - that's the only reason they could have to send it up there.
I read this topic, as I understand - you have setted up Track & Protect some time ago? When you are doing it, it requires you to set up a security code at least twice, so even if you pressed 'Cancel' on 1st request - another one was shown (if security code does not exist yet on the device). I heard that even more requests might be done if continue to cancel them, perhaps, 3-4.

It is needed for Track & Protect as it is impossible to lock the device remotely if it is impossible to unlock it.

So most probably your security code already exists on the device at that time, after T&P activation.

Another possibility - somebody played with your device even before and at Settings - Security - Devicelock - Security code - entered something. As no other option was changed (as Autolock) - you did not see such change.

If everybody who "never" used devicelock will check devicelock settings - I think there will be quite a bit where Security code is not 'Not defined' (I am not sure but by myself think that most probably - setted up together with T&P - entered manually on 'Change Password' request, but as it is not documented well enough and they never used N9 devicelock before - they did not understand that such request is related to device security code).

In such case, if it is impossible to recall the lock code, like I said in some other post already:
"If you still have PR1.0 - it would be better to do Settings - Reset - Clear device (device has to be restored to as near as possible to 'out-of-box' state and lock code will be resetted).
Since PR1.1 - lock code will be asked to get a confirmation for 'Clear Device' action."

Some other clarifications for the full thread:

1) There is no default lock code on N9

2) Nobody can ask a lock code on N9 if it does not exist

3) There is no any small length limit for security code, so it can be qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm... Twice or triple. Even 200 characters are ok.

4) It is impossible to set up lock code by any 3rd party application on N9 - the only way is to enter it on 'Change Password' page which will be shown by devicelock process itself (might be shown by Settings - Security - Device Lock - Security code).

5) Devicelock 'Numpad' view is a standard feature available on any N9, just enter lock code which contains numbers (0123456789) only (locked device will look similar to PIN query, for example).

It is not possible to switch to full VKB qwerty mode as it is not needed here.

6) I am agree it is very bad that it is absolutely not clear that security code might be enforced somehow by MfE account or can be required to be setted up by Track and Protect - it would be nice to improve the behaviour.

At least for now - seems a FAQ is improved, for example a question "Why am I prompted for the security code in my Nokia N9?" here.

It might be that if there would be the same default security code like on other Nokia devices - it would be impossible to change it accidentally (or at least probability would be much less).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdn For This Useful Post: