Notices

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by gaichuke View Post
I'm sorry to say this but this is just a horrible app.

Limited functionality (only choices are random and top100 quotes, why on earth?), atrocious UI design combined to the lagging scrolling makes this very burdensome to use.
Yes, perhaps. I created it last year as my first qml application and to test myself how to parse a website to do some learning for a different project. But it works and I use it myself surprisingly often. Because of this I ported it for the N9 to share with oters what I have created. And since I know already the Top Quotes I use this app myself only to read the random quotes. So I use myself only 50% of this horible, limited app. But perhaps there are some people out there which doesn't know those...

Could you please show me the applications you have created? Perhaps I can learn this way how to create applications with unlimited functionality.

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Look, normally I would not have commented anything about this, but since you submitted it to the Ovi Store I felt that it was open to criticism. In my eyes this turns a hobby project app to a "real" application, and I hate to see crappy applications in the Nokia Store.

I haven't created any applications, so I can't help you by example. That does not disqualify me to spot problems in application design, though. let me elaborate two things what I feel are wrong in this app.

1) Limited functionality

Only thing this app really has to offer is the random quotes. To make this app more usable and a real, viable option to the website itself there should be additionally at least Latest quotes and Browse quotes option with search.

2) User interface

- Not compatible with the Harmattan UI guidelines.
- Button design, color choices and the way different elements are distributed in the UI are unbeliavable ugly.

There. Just my two cents if you are planning to develope this app further.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Albeit the color scheme may not be pleasant to everyone's (and my eyes), i find said UI design still better than quite a lot of applications contained in catalogs of "other platforms".

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Aaah, now we are one a level we can talk about it. Before it sounded like unconstructive ranting... and not more.

Look, normally I would not have commented anything about this, but since you submitted it to the Ovi Store I felt that it was open to criticism.
Yes, but please, I prefer constructive criticism. Otherwise I react already a little bit allergic...

In my eyes this turns a hobby project app to a "real" application, and I hate to see crappy applications in the Nokia Store.
Why should it transmute from a hobby project to a "real" application?
Also hobby projects are real applications. Some are good, some not. And because you are able to download it directly via the store on your device implies not it is a commercial application. Oh, no! I'm sure I will never be able to pay for the power bill for the juice my Computer needed during the development.
But a availability via the Store implies the application was at least able to get thru the Nokia store QA and will not damage your device in the first place. And in my opinion this is not unimportant.

1) Limited functionality

Only thing this app really has to offer is the random quotes. To make this app more usable and a real, viable option to the website itself there should be additionally at least Latest quotes and Browse quotes option with search.
You are always free to use the website. You are not forced to use the application. But you can use the app to read the random quotes in a comfortable way and to open later if you want the correlated quote directly at the browser to vote for it or to sent the link via instant messenger to a friend. At least this is the way I'm using it.

2) User interface

- Not compatible with the Harmattan UI guidelines.
- Button design, color choices and the way different elements are distributed in the UI are unbeliavable ugly.
Yes, I know. It is the same UI the N900 and MeeGo Tablet version had. At least I spent some time to move the menu from the top of the screen to the bottom. So you are able to use it like the most of the Harmattan applications, even if the color sheme is not the same.
It is a small fun application. And it works, even if it follows not the Harmattan style. The most games and in the end actually angry birds doesn't follow the Harmattan Design Guidelines.
Yes, I could have spent a day or two more to replace all selfcreated UI element with the Harmattan Components and do a lot of testing to search and fix a lot of new layout bugs. But time is currently a very, very limited resource for myself and as a stricken gimp user I like the paradigm "release early, release often" a lot more than "develop forever and release never".

There. Just my two cents if you are planning to develope this app further.
It is planned at some point if I'm in the mood. And perhaps I will adapt the layout elements, add support for more languages and perhaps a voting system. But even if it is aviable at the store it is still a hobby project I created in my spare time.

And my application is at least not created with some kind of building assistant to display a simple rss feed. It is totally hand made. And there are sadly a lot of simple rss feed viewer at the store. But at least I'm able to see the difference.

You mentioned slow animations and lagging scrolling in your first post. Have you still those problems or had you something running in the background while using the app?

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post: