Hi everyone.

I have uninstalled some applications from my Nokia N900 and now the phone keeps rebooting when i try to put it on.

I thought i could just flash it, but it wont boot to recovery mode.

What happens is this:
- I press and hold the power button > led lights up and phone vibrates.
- Backlight comes on and stays for a few seconds > phone reboots and it repeats.

Because of this, i cant get to the recovery state to even being flashing.

Can someone please help me if i can be helped?

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Disrupt the reboot loop by pulling the battery. Wait for 10 seconds reinsert the battery, but let it rest for a while, aka read the wiki about flashing and ready your flasher utility.

Flash according your PC's operating system according to the wiki http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware If your flasher utility command is launched, connect the N900 via USB to the PC

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Yes, what michaaa62 works, and before you connect you n900 to your pc you might want to have the commands already written in to CMD and entered so it says 'waiting for suitable device' at this stage connect your powered down n900 while holding the 'u' key to the pc, and keep holding it until all the drivers install.

Also if you are also flashing the fiasco image then i would recommend holding down the 'u' key through the entire flash, other wise it might reboot back to maemo during half flash.

Good Luck

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delhanh For This Useful Post:
Thank you guys so much for the advice and help.

However, it still does not seem to work.

I disrupted the booting by pulling the battery out several times and letting it rest for 10 seconds. Then i put it in again and wait a few seconds to minutes. When i try to power it on, same thing happens.

I also tried to press the U button while the phone was off and connecting the data cable to the phone. No response but 1 vibrate and a red flash on the led.

Please let me know if i'm doing anything wrong or if there's any more i can do.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by brandonbhagwandeen View Post
Thank you guys so much for the advice and help.

However, it still does not seem to work.

I disrupted the booting by pulling the battery out several times and letting it rest for 10 seconds. Then i put it in again and wait a few seconds to minutes. When i try to power it on, same thing happens.

I also tried to press the U button while the phone was off and connecting the data cable to the phone. No response but 1 vibrate and a red flash on the led.

Please let me know if i'm doing anything wrong or if there's any more i can do.
Please read through the following threads (they are short...longest one is 4 pages), and see if any of those closely resembles your situation:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81618
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73453
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85557

Based on those threads, it has something to do with a drained battery and hence may be a need for either simply charging the battery (via an external battery charger), or solved by a "cold flashing" procedure.

Here's the Wiki link for cold flashing: http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_f.../Cold_Flashing

Thank you guys for the advice and help again.

What i should have mentioned before is that the phone doesnt boot up with the Nokia screen so the recovery mode cannot activate.

I've tried to connect it to flash and it wont. I've tried to pull the battery to disrupt the booting and it wont......

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by brandonbhagwandeen View Post
Thank you guys for the advice and help again.

What i should have mentioned before is that the phone doesnt boot up with the Nokia screen so the recovery mode cannot activate.

I've tried to connect it to flash and it wont. I've tried to pull the battery to disrupt the booting and it wont......
There should be some sort of indicator that would help us diagnose and determine the possible cause and thereby provide a solution...blinking light/s perhaps, what blinking pattern, color..when does it appear, etc.? Also you might want to (just to ensure that we are eliminating possible causes) have the battery charged via another charger.

I've been using an external charger since christmas as the phone wont allow for charging.
I have two batteries and they're both fully charged.

1 - power on Nokia N900.
2 - LED Lights WHITE.
3 - SOMETIMES the phone's backlight alone comes on and one vibration is felt. OR The Nokia logo will come up with the vibration then the LED light WHITE will come off. Both bootings repeat for a few times and then it shuts off.

When connecting to the PC, the NOKIA logo and the USB sign at the top right appears but the phone then reboots again so the USB device is not recognized as the device was switched off by itself.

The flasher does not, at all, recognize the device.

Try this:
Remove the battery from the phone
Insert it into the phone
Connect the phone to the PC
Start the flasher so it sits on the "waiting for device" spot
Hold down the U key and power up the phone.
This is by far the best way to get a stubborn N900 to boot and/or recognize the USB.

If that doesn't work, it might indicate a hardware fault with your N900.

So i tried it, and it kept rebooting itself again.
Once, during the loop a green text appeared at the top of the screen.
Didn't get to read much of it, but i'm certain part of it read "Device will shutdown in......." Not sure what it said afterward, it just rebooted again.