Dear people,
this i'm afraid a tricky thing, i own 2 N900 devices. One with a broken usb-hub, and the other fails to accept any sim-card i could get hold of. This is the one i was using last till it stopped working as a phone. I could use the other one and charge batteries seperatly. This is what i planned to do but before i wanted to put my data from the last one to the one with the broken hub. so i backed up data on the sd card and unpacked the backup. It asked if i wanted to install the programms too and i agreed. And then it stopped somehow because there was no space left on the device.
When i rebooted everything looked fine during startup, but then the desktop was scattered with icons and it doesnt do anything. except for the i think it's called hildon-menu? the panel where you can acces clock and such...

NOW finally THE QUESTION

any ideas? is there a way to make the settings undone, maybe via bluetooth or wlan? (remeber i cant do anything on the device itself)
or:
any advice for the sim-card issue. (i read several threads about it, i tried to increase pressure on sim with rubber sheets, i tested a diversity of simcards)

thanks for every thought on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to sfb For This Useful Post:
I had a broken GSM modem for years. I cannot find the link right now, but you have to disassemble, and then pop the metal cover off the GSM modem, and then glue small springs(read get spring, and cut it, as in one rotation), and put them back on the GSM modem, replace the metal cover, and then put the phone back together.

It worked for me, there was a thread on here about it,

with the other try a fresh re-flash. but I have really no clue with the USB failure.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GI jack For This Useful Post:
Thanks GIJack. right, i think i know what you mean, think it was a russian video tutorial, i'll try, i couldn't really belive, but now you confirm it works i'll try.

With the reflash, can't do this without usb, i'm afraid. But thanks for your reply. I#ll post my results here, and i'm still open for other ideas about the crowded nand

uhmm, Gi Jack. Could you elaborate a little on what kind of spring to use. Those in pens maybe?

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
hell... what you guys up to?? do you have people who run service centere for mobiles in your contry?? just go to them it will be solved as both are minor problems.
the spring solution is fast but reballing the ic is better solution.

as of the usb just solder it back or in worst case if the layout is torn just need to make jumper and solder it to port or layout whatever applicable.

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Dear Nokiabot,
i could find no one here in Berlin who was willing to solder the usb.
Myself i'm a historian and not kin to the soldering-iron. glue is good for me.
What do you mean by ic?

all right it's done; my N900 is a phone again:

that makes me so happy, can't belive it's just a phone, well yeah it's not...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sfb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
how u solved it?? put info here what about the second one??

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
basically i just followed this http://www.jabawok.net/?p=14 manual, like in the manual i had to glue two springs on each module, i'd recommand smth. like 1 ½ turns of a biros spring. About the other one, i still don't know, because i don't know enough about networking, to establish a bluetooth or wlan connection, that would allow me to delete files on the device. i think its possible somehow but how?

================================================
UPDATE: Allright it's the next day and the sim is still working reliable
thanks again to GI Jack
<3sfb

Last edited by sfb; 2013-04-12 at 09:02.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sfb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Stuttgart/Germany
Even paper does it I didn't had springs, so I just put some paper in between the chips and the shield, that there is some pressure. Didn't had a problem for over a week now, let's see how long it lasts. I got sim card failures minimum one time at a day before.

Tags
fix gsm module, nokia n900, repair usb port, sim card