Notices

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Thanks for the info!
Yes, I'm looking for a solution using OSM data.
The screenshot looks quite promising. I assume the labeling glitches aren't that tragic since the label positions should differ between zoom levels.

However, I'd need the whole map of Germany which currently has about 12GB in uncompressed XML format. Navit is able to use that data in its own binary format converted from XML using maptool [1] [2], which results in a file of about 2GB iirc, apparently without noticeable speed penalties when searching for an entry somewhere in the middle of the file. I guess that would be one of the main problems when working with huge OSM files. I don't know how the Navit code works but I guess they implement something like an indexed DB.
Do you have something similar in mind? Ideally you could find a way to use the same format for both projects.

As for getting my hands dirty: Well, I'm sure you know the excuses. Mine are already pretty dirty.

I'm aware that my code suggestion might have been based on outdated code. I just had a look at what was causing the problem in Debian Wheezy without investigating the current upstream situation in the middle of the night. I'm glad to hear that there is already an improved version of that code. Will I find that in the Maemo package? Nevermind, I'll try.

[1] http://wiki.navit-project.org/index....tMap#From_.osm
[2] http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Navit_and_OSM

Just like to point out that it would be awesome to have some sort of osmarender on the device itself.

No matter if I'm smiling to the networking gods or begging on my knees with tears in my eyes, internet is always a slow pony in my area, and Marble still throws away tiles before new ones are downloaded. Not always, but only at the worst possible time.

It would be sweet to 'just have it' like navit or commercial solutions.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
Originally Posted by gadgetChris View Post
Routing died
Was working two weeks ago.
Tried this morning ... nothing "No route found".
Re-installed Marble, Monav client and Monav daemon...
still nothing.

Is there a config file that could have been corrupted
Using 1.2.0 stable.
Monav 0.3 rel 3
I just realized that some person uploaded a development snapshot of monav-routing-daemon to extras-devel. It's not a stable release and it breaks monav routing in Marble. Don't use that version (0.3-release-3-hg-$id). Use 0.3-release-1.

On a side note I wonder why this is allowed (the uploader is not a package maintainer of monav-routing-daemon).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Oh, btw I almost forgot:
Some weeks ago I accidentally started Marble by clicking the wrong icon. I noticed it before the map was even loaded and closed the application window immediately which apparently worked.
Some hours later I noticed a big battery drain and top showed that Marble was still running and constantly consumed about 50% CPU time. So I killed it and everything was back to normal.

Not sure if this even qualifies as a bug but it's definitely an unexpected behavior.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Is the latest release of Monav routing daemon totally broken, or just something changed and Marble doesn't reflect that?

As far as I understand how repositories work, everyone with upload privileges, can upload new version - but only maintainer got rights to promote it to -testing or -extras. Then, it's a matter of Q&A - if someone contributed and created proper development snapshot in extras-devel, that's great, even if it "breaks" how Marble works.

AFAIK, now it's up to Marble to correct dependencies, to depend only on versions up to 0.3-release-1, or... submit update, that works with latest version.

After all, extras-devel is for development, so latest development snapshot is appropriate there. If, on the other hand, it is totally broken, people should vote "thumbs down" for it. But *only* if it's totally broken, not just because Marble (or any other program) doesn't work with it.

To be understand correctly - I'm not depreciating Marble developers work, and anyone who follow this thread know, that I'm really amazed by earthwings and other Marble devs work. I'm just trying to explain Maemo repos Q&A mechanism, at least as far as I understand it. I also agree, that this is quite uncommon event - normally, someone uploading new version is in contact with package maintainer - but there is nothing out of procedures here.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
It's not broken (at least I'm not aware of it), but it's a development snapshot where the file format has changed compared to the older versions. Since it can change again with every commit, it makes no sense to support this (or any other development snapshot) by Marble, but wait for a release (like version 0.4) done by the monav developers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
anyway could you give the proper cmdline here to re-install and pin the working version of monav for marble please. along the lines of apt.get --force-reinstall install monav=<version>;

Thanks
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Install monav from extras or extras-testing, there's still the version required by Marble.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Install monav from extras or extras-testing, there's still the version required by Marble.
This will render the HAM "install all updates" button useless for all future updates of any packages. :-/ Anyway I think I'll find my way around this, just thought it might be useful for other users to post a correct shell cmd here to "fix" it for good (until next monav update)

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
This will render the HAM "install all updates" button useless for all future updates of any packages. :-/
I don't consider "install all updates" to be a good idea at all if you have testing and devel activated. But maybe I'm biased due to my use of Debian.

Frankly I'm not really sure what HAM does but I guess it's just a dpkg or apt-get wrapper. In that case after installing monav from extras or testing this should "fix" it for now:
Code:
sudo echo monav "hold" | dpkg --set-selections
This way there will be no updates of monav at all. If you want to receive updates again call this:
Code:
sudo echo monav "install" | dpkg --set-selections

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:

Tags
marble, nokia n900