Active Topics

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Unpopular opinion incoming... but BB10 is vastly superior to SailfishOS.
I've had both for ages now, and you are right. Blackberry 10 is just much more usable, but obviously it won't fit the criteria for most here.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
BlackBerry has Bluetooth support in their Android runtime. On the other hand it is so closed that a simple VKB support is impossible from 3rd parties while I'm still waiting for them to implement Bulgarian phonetic. This alone makes the phone unsellable in Bulgaria (the only reason I'm still keeping it).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Any OS that needs to be jailbroken is inferior to those that don't.
That is subjective.

Any OS that lacks any notion of security is inferior to those that don't.
Any OS that needs a dozen patches just to be usable is inferior to those that don't.
Any OS that lacks a global copy&paste is inferior to those that don't.
Any OS that lacks a good PIM support is inferior to those that don't.
Any OS that has a handful of apps in its store is inferior to those that have thousands.
Any OS that has an SMS application without a character counter and that can't create a contact from an incoming message is inferior to those that don't.
Any OS without a <choose your favourite chat/social app/integration> is inferior to those with those features.

Do I need to continue?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That is subjective.

Any OS that needs a dozen patches just to be usable is inferior to those that don't.
Any OS that has a handful of apps in its store is inferior to those that have thousands.
Any OS that has an SMS application without a character counter and that can't create a contact from an incoming message is inferior to those that don't.
Any OS without a <choose your favourite chat/social app/integration> is inferior to those with those features.

Do I need to continue?
If it doesn't need to be jailbroken, you can fix all of those things yourself. Most of that stuff is application related anyway, not OS.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
If it doesn't need to be jailbroken, you can fix all of those things yourself. Most of that stuff is application related anyway, not OS.
"Most"? The first three are definitely OS related, not application. I would really like to know how I can fix them myself. The empty app store can also be considered OS related, as it relates to how attractive the OS is to application developers. But OK, let's give it half a point. 3½ out of 7 is exactly a half, not "most"

But the point was that different people may have different criteria for a "superior" or "inferior" OS. I do not disagree with you, I just play the devil's advocate.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
"Most"? The first three are definitely OS related, not application. I would really like to know how I can fix them myself. The empty app store can also be considered OS related, as it relates to how attractive the OS is to application developers. But OK, let's give it half a point. 3½ out of 7 is exactly a half, not "most"
1 is misleading - Sailfish has a UNIX security model. On top of that, it has a bit of user data protection, but granted it is lacking proper application sandboxing. 2 is completely subjective. I never patch Sailfish and find it perfectly usable. 3 is incorrect, Sailfish has a global copy & paste. I can select text in many applications and paste them into others. I don't see the store population as relevant at all to the quality of the OS, especially not with android support. I don't think popularity is a factor either. You're on 1.

That one you can't fix alone. You could implement your own security model, but it wouldn't be part of the OS, and so you couldn't apply it to other people's applications. What you could do is engage with the specification and implementation of such a security model with the Mer community though TJC or the Mer git+tracker. Maybe get one together for Nemo. BB10 never offered those possibilities.

But the point was that different people may have different criteria for a "superior" or "inferior" OS. I do not disagree with you, I just play the devil's advocate.
But the definition of an operating system is very well defined, even if it has been twisted in recent years by salesmen and shills trying to lock up ever more functionality in their core 'OS' and establish that as the norm. Remember when Microsoft got fined for bundling their Internet Explorer application with Windows?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Any OS that needs to be jailbroken is inferior to those that don't. It's like comparing PCs with consoles.
Eh? Who needs to jailbreak it and for what reasons?

Except for one aspect. Sailfish is autonomous. Blueberry needs a proxy to read emails and browse the web. (Or so I have been told. My information may be out of date.)
I do believe this to be old information. Prior BBOS versions this is true. Worth investigating though.

Quite an odd issue to take umbrage with though. I would have stated that the quality of the email app is the biggest concern, not a proxy. The one on Jolla is entirely too elementary for my likes. Hell, Pine would be an improvement over the default Jolla email client.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
That is subjective.

Do I need to continue?
On all of those above I can agree, the points are valid and you can compare different OS'es based on each criteria to validate their respective superiority/inferiority,

Except for this one;

Having "apps in a store" is probably the least interesting criteria to compare different operating systems.
How many "apps" do you need anyway? And why? Is it just to impress your peers with some new hodgepodge?

I might as well state that having an OS that you cannot directly compile standard tarballs on is inferior to one that you can do it...
(but I won't say it, you already know my opinion )

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Show me the aliens...
Alien Dalvik?

Last edited by hhbbap; 2016-02-16 at 17:42. Reason: Alien

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hhbbap For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by hhbbap View Post
Alian Dalvik?
Alien Binary

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os