Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Finally it happened:

[Official Announcement] Flattr support enabled in Jolla Harbour and Jolla Store!
see:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...d-jolla-store/

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Ahh, yes! The Jolla Way™ of doing things Still, better than nothing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Simo Ruoho from reviewjolla agreed to have a static site on his blog to collect and feature sailfish developers with flattr-buttons and a discription of their projects to also support devs that do not have apps in harbour at this time.

To promote your work a little more and get flattred by sailfish users for whatever sailfish related projects you have going, drop Simo Ruoho a line to get this started!

Please spread the word to make this happen!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Flattr addresses the app developer payment problem to a small level but it's frankly not viable to develop apps hoping you'll get donations.

It also doesn't address the fact their's huge bugs and missing functionality in the base OS that might best be served by having developer bounties so that 3rd parties get rewarded for fixing them and moving Sailfish forward as a whole.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
i have to agree with the last post,sadly

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Valid argument, that stay true as long as the majority thinks like that. As a looooong time lurker on tmo i feel your pain.

But one lesson that life told me: "growth is only vital if its steady".
If a long nosed german can become a successfull freelancing sushi-chef, all that is needed to become a successfull independent developer in this small ecosystem is letting all conventions fly out of the window, find new ones and rock it steady.

It is a given fact that you will need to find new ways to finance this ecosystem as old structures are made to benefit the few.
Which is contrary to the idea of FOSS development.

imho Jolla could NEVER have a competing business model in an app-store, so they refrain from doing it so much.

They are counting on you to find a way.
Flattr integration is the right push into that direction.

I am a flattrer since 2011 and am happy to be able to now share my monthly amount to others than awkward funny youtubers and "i make a living from flattr" podcaster Tim Pritlove :P

The Following User Says Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
It also doesn't address the fact their's huge bugs and missing functionality in the base OS that might best be served by having developer bounties so that 3rd parties get rewarded for fixing them and moving Sailfish forward as a whole.
That sure sounds like a nice and worthwhile idea!

But there are some things needed from Jollas side to make this viable.

Core Sailfish OS developers need to be prepared to communicate with people working on the bounties and willing to actually merge their enhancements upstream. This & lack of documentation are already hindering many attempts for improving Sailfish OS by the community - people send patches, ask questions, etc. but never get any reply.

And another issue are the closed source components - there are parts of Sailfish OS that that really need a boatload of improvements, but they are closed source and the community can't reasonably improve them. At least without either rewriting half the UI or maintaining and distributing out-of-tree patches for QML code.

A nice example of such closed components that the community really wants to improve but can't is the communication and instant messaging UI, lots of very popular RFEs:
SIP (voip) native integration
Feature request: alternative messenger integration for Jolla
[feature-request] XMPP OTR support in messages
[feature-request] XMPP audio/video call
[feature-request] XMPP file transfer

But the corresponding components are closed source for no good reason and the community can't fix and enhance them - with bounties or without.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
imho Jolla could NEVER have a competing business model in an app-store, so they refrain from doing it so much.

They are counting on you to find a way.
IMO the problem is that the devs who hoped for donations have already found their way. Flattr does not add that much to PayPal and similar. It is too little too late.

OTOH, even if we were generous and assumed that as many as 10% of all Jolla users would actually buy a paid app, and even being extremely generous and assuming it were the same app, at the current number of Jolla users worldwide that is still what? About 2000 buyers? Even if charging $50 for the app, that makes $100k. That barely covers one developer's year's salary plus running costs. And remember, that is with some very generous assumptions.

So it may be just as well that Jolla did not bother with a proper paid app support. Half measures like Flatter may be good enough.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
developer receive 90% only, you can generate urls and set unique context for all places you want to put flattr button.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
I removing my Flattr account and trying to refund all supporters. The only available option to withdraw funds from Flattr is Skrill, and i can't use it in my country, also Skrill support are ignoring all my messages for a month.

EDIT: sorry it was a typo, i mean refund, not withdraw supporters

Last edited by coderus; 2015-07-19 at 17:01.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post: