Name:  meego.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  21.8 KB
clicking it redirects to:
http://appdeveloper.intel.com/?cid=dev4atom1300

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to abubakar For This Useful Post:
Yep saw it too. Go Intel!

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
No thanks, ubuntu 10.10 runs just fine on my Compaq Mini (Atom-based) and the plethora of software readily available via the repos (especially developer tools).

Why do I need Meego?

(I Would rather develop a hernia)

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Well a lot of other operating systems work on your atom based machine I'm sure why Ubuntu then?

The thing is its gud for the market to have something made from the ground up with mobile devices in mind, market cannot flourish otherwise. We dont have Maemo being supported by any company anyway, I say its pretty awesome the biggest microprocessor company backing Meego.

Intel should just take/buy all of the Qt from Nokia too until the psycho Microsoft executive is in charge of Nokia.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ the netherlands
and now devs could simply work on the same project but can get paid by Intel instead of Nokia?

The thing is its gud for the market to have something made from the ground up with mobile devices in mind, market cannot flourish otherwise
That's quite exact.For the *market*.That's not exactly "the end user".Market means "making money of it", which is something Android and iOS have done well, and Maemo didnt.
I really love how corporations (like Nokia, Intel, etc) want developers to happily join for free yet-another-platform so they can develop a "new ecosystem", and a new "market" for them to keep relevant in the industry.
Of course, you'll invest time and effort on something that maybe tomorrow goes directly to the trash can after changes of direction (gnome to Qt, disastrous iterations of Maemo,Maemo-->Meego), or, simply, a new CEO arrives and thinks differently.And without promises if you'll ever see a device with that OS on it.
But that's fine, it's all for the sake of open source...

If you use Linux as the example of successfull open-source OS, you've to have in mind that the platform to develop it was already there (x86).Devices specifically developed to run linux on it came muuch later.Developers werent tied to a closed,"secret" device, that may or not reach the market,and it's, at the end, in the hands of companies like Nokia and Intel, companies that may send all your (free) hard work to the trash can.

In this era of mobile devices, the 2 winning companies are Apple and Google, both of them with a looong experience in developing software.You can say Nokia too (Symbian), but, really, that's more from the "8-bits" era of mobile devices.
Nokia has shown their inability of managing software, along with their disrespect for the community (their presence and help,specially technical, in this forums was nearly zero).Will Intel, a pure hardware company, do better?

Like 2 days ago, i read in engadget HP was donating a Proliant Server worth of $15000 to their webOS supporting community.....The most nokia did was sell devices at a slightly reduced price looong time ago.

So, why should i use my (almost inexistent) spare time developing for Intel for free?
Really, i'm more inclined now to develop for Maemo and help the CSSU *now* , when it's *really* a community project over a known device.

And...anyway, i also think that what i want is Ubuntu in my device.Or Windows XP, or windows 7.Maybe today is not possible, but in 2 years....with dual core devices,128Gb SD's and better batteries...Oh, those werent developed with mobile in mind? And the only answer to that is to reinvent the whole wheel (so companies keep selling new OS's with their markets,etc,etc,etc)?

i think reinventing the wheel is not for no reason all the time. Apple has their own os for iphone, its all theirs and they can do whatever they want with it, google made their own browser while we still had firefox and it was open source, ppl are rewriting important parts of their software to utilize the multicore procs .. and there can be many examples. Yes the windows xp and windows 7 were not made with cell phones in mind and i still would say that getting them on the phone is not a gud idea

Nokia failed on maemo to take it to the right direction, but I think they were trying to work on meego (even if there progress was not effective as it should have been) but this new ceo thing messed it up bad. I still think that Nokia was not on a brink of extinction the picture that Elop seems to be showing to the world. I think that Meego devs/resources/designers should have been invested on while continuing making devices like n8 (i dont like n8 but it sells a lot i believe), c6, c7, etc. That would continue bringing revenues while in less then a year a stellar Meego device(s) could have been in the market. Maemo and cssu is love <3, but when I talk of meego I'm not thinking of n900, i'm thinking of an evolution of it that I can buy in the future so thats what excites me, cuz android/iphone doesnt interest me at all. Have seen what maemo can do, so meego is most welcome. It needs time, wrong decisions of nokia executives should not be obstacles in its way. If intel can make meego where meamo cud have gone, its all bliss

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Ironically that SDK only for winblows

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by abubakar View Post
saw this ad ... and felt gud
Attachment 17670
clicking it redirects to:
http://appdeveloper.intel.com/?cid=dev4atom1300
Or even better, to: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/

Reading from this page:
Developers have the unique opportunity to get in early, get noticed and start making money with MeeGo apps.
Now, that's proper MeeGo support. Open invitation to join. Perhaps after all this would become an even better thing. Now Intel need only provide some initial affordable hardware for development to start.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Ironically that SDK only for winblows
Their site is utter shite, IMO. Here's what looks like the proper link:

http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/meego-sdk-suite