Active Topics

Poll: Are the Windows Phone 8 updates enough to make you drop your N9 for the next Windows Phone?
Poll Options
Are the Windows Phone 8 updates enough to make you drop your N9 for the next Windows Phone?

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Ames IA, USA
Just found out windows phone 8 will have micro SD card support, multi core chipsets, NFC, Nokia Maps on all Windows Phone 8 devices, and so much.

Is this enough to make you drop your N9 for the next Windows Phone? Personally I still like the N9.

You can see the full list of windows phone 8 updates here:

http://thenokiafanclub.blogspot.com/...s-windows.html

Last edited by txh; 2012-06-20 at 18:24.

It looks good, native code, multitasking, windows NT kernel, but this isn't an actual device yet. Also interesting that is uses a dual core Krait. Those are similar to Cortex A15, and really, really fast much faster current iPhone or iPad).

Just like with the Surface and Windows 8, it does look good, but this hardware isn't cheap. Let's wait until actual products are available. Price, shipping date, real-life performance and battery life will determine how good it actually will be.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
NO NEVER! I would never drop my n900 or n9 for windows phone. However, I'm probably buying Surface Pro and destroy my new IPAD if hands on and specs looks OK.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-06-20 at 18:43.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
So how many years behind (even) Symbian will be WP now? :-) MicroSD support? Nice, how revolutionary!

Such a closed system can never have such community Maemo has, so I think it has no place around here.

The Following User Says Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
I have been using SGS3 for a week now, and wp8 has nothing which SGS3 and high end android devices would not have. I would not change to N9 either.

SGS3 and ICS is amazing. I probably stay with Android now at least until Tizen becomes ready or to a beta stage. I've found alike android app to almost all my most important N900 applications. Multitasking with SGS3 works better than in N900, no problems. One can have 3 active background processes from the settings, so having "fake" android multitasking is not a problem. I haven't had to reboot device even once during the week, when N900 had to be rebooted every couple of days after heavy use because RAM and system got fragmented and became stalling.

wp8 has lost the competition already before the birth.

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
Was a bit disappointed. Nothing really new, just catching up with other smartphone systems and some talks about how easy it will be to convert games to the phone. It all sounds good, but more like a bigger WP7 update which isn't compatible with WP7 phones.

What you certainly don't need anymore with WP8 is a Tetris game - can now be played straight on the homescreen with tiles, it even looks the same.

But WP8 fills some gaps WP7 is having - that's good. About dropping N9 for WP: No, never ever!

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
So how many years behind (even) Symbian will be WP now? :-) MicroSD support? Nice, how revolutionary!
That is indeed part of the problem. It is all playing catch-up. Except for maybe the NFC and wallet stuff all features have been in one high-end smartphone or another. But I must say, Windows Phone 8 does combine a lot of those "best features" in 1 OS.
And if Nokia gets to sell an actual WP8 device this year, I think they may introduce cutting-edge hard- and software again on a competitive timeframe .

After introduction of the High-end device Nokia will be faced with the next challenge: What do they do with the low-end? Will they introduce low-end WP8 devices? or will those stay at Windows Phone 7.8 using Windows CE kernel, and being largely incompatible with WP8 applications?

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
for the tablet : maybe
for wp : no

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
WP8 promises native code (C/C++) which I hope translates to Qt on WP8.
In that case, I'd definitely add a Nokia WP8 to my collection.
But I'll never let go of my N9.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Last edited by uvatbc; 2012-06-21 at 16:46.

Tags
wp8 is dead