Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Introduction to Overclocking Guide for Beginners

Enjoy the read if you're interested!

The Following User Says Thank You to c0rt3x For This Useful Post:
Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
id be happy if i could clock it to at least 800, but a 5 or 10% isnt gonna make a blind bit of differenece

Originally Posted by hex900 View Post
Not really, I've been monitoring and mine averages 60-70% at 600. I notice a lot of slowdowns and brief non-responsiveness while the CPU is pegged. Why? It 'appears' random, but haven't had the time or energy to mess with finding out.
There is no need to monitor. Just cat that path and you can see how much you spend at each speed/state.

My hunch would be by monitoring, you'll actually drive up the cpu use, which will drive up the clock speed (thats how ondemand works)

The random pegging most likely has to do with tracker deciding it needs to look over your media again...

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Hold up. Don't confuse the Cortex A8 with the OMAP3430. The Cortex A8 can scale up to 1GHz+ but that doesn't mean the OMAP3430 can. The OMAP3430 is rated at 600MHz. Go above that and you're over clocking, end of story. If you mean other devices with the OMAP3430, please provide references. I would be genuinely interested.

Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
Yeah I think all the negative responses are because stability and power conservation are bigger issues right now, whereas there's more than enough performance for anything mildly sane you might want to do with an N900...that said, if you want to risk your unit, it looks like 800Mhz would be quite safe for the CPU since other devices with the same hardware are running this clock speed right out of the box. The only issue is if it might cause a problem with other hardware - these devices weren't made to take different hardware so you never know. I'd try increments of 10Mhz or so until you reach 800 stable if you want to go through with this - remember there may be no way to reset the clock speed. You can't reflash if it doesn't boot because the clock speed is too high.
Frank

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Interesting discussion here, folks I don't know enough about this hardware to contribute anything useful whatsoever, but this thread is a great read.

Someone tell me how to make it set on teh fiarz plz

Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
Hold up. Don't confuse the Cortex A8 with the OMAP3430. The Cortex A8 can scale up to 1GHz+ but that doesn't mean the OMAP3430 can. The OMAP3430 is rated at 600MHz. Go above that and you're over clocking, end of story. If you mean other devices with the OMAP3430, please provide references. I would be genuinely interested.

Frank
Omnia HD (the only hardware difference being less virtual memory, which has nothing to do with the SoC anyway).

Last edited by c0rt3x; 2010-01-09 at 11:42.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I've been overclocking my computer's CPU since the 486 days.
First ever overclock was from 486 50mhz to a whopping 60mhz.

If someone can make an overclocking app for N900, I'll use it 100%.
Heck, I'm sure someone will come up with a better cooling solution. =P

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Hi
First, I must say, that I'm a total noob in Linux things, but maybe this link can help you to develop a way to set the clockrate to a fix range.

That're the first steps on the Android T-Mob G1.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=501986&page=4

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
The link claims OMAP3430 @ 600MHz as well? If devices come clocked by the manufacturer above 600MHz, that would be interesting to me.

I'm not claiming that you can't overclock the omap3430, just that it's not supposed to be clocked above 600MHz.

Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
Omnia HD (the only hardware difference being less virtual memory, which has nothing to do with the SoC anyway).

Frank

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Is it absolutely certain it's not an OMAP3440 ? It would make a lot more sense.

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom