Active Topics

Brainstorm Link - http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...tion-n900-002/

I am looking with some help to modify or create a program like eCoach that is able to track your path/position on a map. I want to use it for off road mountain biking, I am very curious to see what my path looks like on a map and to see how far/fast and how long it took.

I think eCoach already has all that built in, but with one major problem. It seems the program only works if you have an always on data connection. I do not have 3g service available for my N900 and wont pay $15 a month for 2g service that I will never use (99% of the time for me I am in a wifi zone).

So I think all that really needs to be done is one of two things.

Option 1 - have an application that can download your map data ahead of time and pull it off the phone memory rather than download it.

Option 2 - let the program run all the gps data for tracking/time/distance/speed and not have it overlay on a map. This gets recorded to the phone and later when you are in a internet enabled spot you can open that data and apply it to a map.

Even better if you can export the final product, with the image and data to some kind of file and save it on a computer.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Why don't you simply file enhancement requests to the eCoach program?

http://bugs.maemo.org - Extras - eCoach

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Why don't you simply file enhancement requests to the eCoach program?

http://bugs.maemo.org - Extras - eCoach
Will do, I thought a brainstorm thread was the correct way to go about doing that.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
There are other tools that do that, there's a GPS data logger in the repositories, it works fine, but it's not in extras, I believe it's alpha.

Warning, alpha software may break your phone and kick your dog. I noticed it sorta eats battery.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by ViciousXUSMC View Post
Will do, I thought a brainstorm thread was the correct way to go about doing that.
Brainstorm might be correct, but if you wish improvements in eCoach then letting them know directly to the developers might be a good idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Hi
yesterday i wrote a quick python script wich reads the gps postion and sends it to a mysql db on a webserver. all u need is the pathon-location package from devel and the demo code somewhere from this site.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
At the 2008 Maemo Summit, Nokia encouraged developers to assume an always-on data connection when writing software for Maemo 5.

Some of us realized this wasn't realistic, but it seems that some developers drank the kool-aid. It would be helpful if Nokia revised their developer guidelines.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
At the 2008 Maemo Summit, Nokia encouraged developers to assume an always-on data connection when writing software for Maemo 5.

Some of us realized this wasn't realistic, but it seems that some developers drank the kool-aid. It would be helpful if Nokia revised their developer guidelines.
iPhone has done it for ages now: there isn't much to do without data connections by default. of course a simple checkbox at settings would be nice but always-on data is more common day by day.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Oh boy..

Indeed. Some of us actually sometimes move outside the city. And away from roads. And sometimes to other countries, where either there's A) No connection (jungle, steppes, mountains..), or B) Prohibitively expensive (as in insanely, absolutely out-of-the-question expensive) data-over-phone.

Thank goodness Maemo Mapper handles all of the above just fine. Been using it all over the world (w/Maemo4), as well as locally. Although the N900 version of MM could still need some improvement.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post: