Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by snubmoggy View Post
Is that 100% for sure? - that this phone can't run WP7?

While I would love to see meego I do fear that this could be the first WP7 phone.

Also, (what seems to be) an EDOF camera and no FM transmitter are starting to harness my excitement levels...
Im repeating myself^^
No WP7 phone.
No EDOF camera
No FM-Transmitter only for dev-device (afaik)

edit: even if I wouldn't know some informations:
WP7 can't run properly in landscape atm. RM-680 is a landscape device.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Im repeating myself^^
No WP7 phone.
No EDOF camera

edit: even if I wouldn't know some informations:
WP7 can't run properly in landscape atm. RM-680 is a landscape device.
Repeating yourself isn't healthy...

Yes, no WP7 landscape at the moment. But there can be no doubt that Microsoft are working hard on a landscape orientation for future.

I'm confused reading zehjotkah's tweets.
The plan sounds so familiar with Maemo5, when originally we were hinted there would be two devices running M5. The 2nd device was said to be launched about half a year later than N900.

I am purely speculating.... seems like the plan is:
RM680: developer device, hw-wise not necessarily the same as N950 (no FM, maybe lesser CPU)
N950: Summer? Fall?
Second commercial device: Early 2012 depending on sale of N950?

Anyway, we'll know better the closer we get to the conference.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
What apps are optimized for dual ARM processors? Is Android or Meego optimized for dual processors? Is there real-life benchmarks on identical systems except on CPU?
Dual core is beneficial not just for multi-core optimized apps. How many people have / had the problem when the phone won't answer there are too many apps open and the phone rings but the interface doesn't respond. When I am driving, I use OVI maps (w/ GPS ), have Google Maps in the background because OVI Maps isn't always right, and am also streaming music in the background. In that state, any input is incredibly slow and difficult. Would dual core help? hope so. Dual-core is helpful for power users, which I thought was this group. I could be wrong.

What we need is optimized bug free code. Moreover taking advantage of all instruction sets that are already in CPU and GPU. Without doubt horsepower is also needed, but quality of code and moreover memory handling are probably key issues.
Sure, but how long did it take for the community to do that? As far as I know OVI maps is still a resource hog.

By your last statement you've probably given the greatest argument for dual-core. The fact of the matter is that Nokia does not plan on spending tons of resources on MeeGo. Right? Having said that Nokia once they get the checkmark (OVI Maps, web browser, and etc.) isn't going to spend a ton of time writing and re-writing code to make it super efficient. For what, 90k+ users? Give me a break. Until things get worked out, the software will likely be buggy and not optimized. You'll be glad for ever extra Megahertz you can get your hands on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Doesn't N900 actually have two separate cpus? The main one at 250-600 MHz and one at 400 for handling radio communications?

I have tried overclocking and must say that it doesn't speed up the device as much as expected. Possibly the the other components are optimized together with the cpu at 600, so when you overclock, other things become a bottleneck?

Sorry this was a bit off-topic

what i want from the n950

1. dual-core A9 - this may be all we get for a while, it needs legs!

2. 4" qHD screen - rockin like its 2007 with an 800x480 screen is not good enough.

3. oh yeah, it needs to run MeeGo - not interested in WP7

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ London
N9 prototype got fully developed and released as the E7. Nokia just changed the name.

It is no coincidence they looked very similar in the early N9 videos and they look exactly the same in the more recent 'N9' videos (before E7 release) where an unbranded 'N9' was actually running symbian as well, advertising everything the E7 could do, but because it had no name, the testing guy assumed it was the N9, which is true, Nokia just released it as an E7.

So whatever the 'N9' looks like in those videos, is actually the E7. If Nokia chooses to release an official N9, it wont look like the above image or videos because those videos of the 'N9' prototype are actually of the E7.

I'm surprised most people didn't work this out already.

The Following User Says Thank You to Prozac786 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by Prozac786 View Post
N9 prototype got fully developed and released as the E7. Nokia just changed the name.

It is no coincidence they looked very similar in the early N9 videos and they look exactly the same in the more recent 'N9' videos (before E7 release) where an unbranded 'N9' was actually running symbian as well, advertising everything the E7 could do, but because it had no name, the testing guy assumed it was the N9, which is true, Nokia just released it as an E7.

So whatever the 'N9' looks like in those videos, is actually the E7. If Nokia chooses to release an official N9, it wont look like the above image or videos because those videos of the 'N9' prototype are actually of the E7.

I'm surprised most people didn't work this out already.
If you look at the endgadget post from last year they mention the RM-680 model number - the same one plastered all over the FCC docs. The backplate is near enough the same as that on the FCC doc. This is that device, no doubt about it.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Care to clarify this?
Does it mean:
a) it doesn't have fmtx, and there is a different developer device that has fmtx
b) it doesn't have fmtx, but it (being the device you have seen and/or used) is a developer device so we don't know if the final product has fmtx
c) it doesn't have an fmtx, nor will it or any special version of it, ever have one?
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
I'm confused reading zehjotkah's tweets.
+1.

(OTOH, this may have been part of his wicked plan. *LOL*)

The plan sounds so familiar with Maemo5, when originally we were hinted there would be two devices running M5. The 2nd device was said to be launched about half a year later than N900.
Yep. Still remember the "Maemo 5 lead device" and talk about software designers shouldn't take a hardware keyboard for granted and all that stuff. I was absolutely certain then there'd be a choice of Maemo-powered devices. Thank good there wasn't. I would have bought them all.

I am purely speculating.... seems like the plan is:
RM680: developer device, hw-wise not necessarily the same as N950 (no FM, maybe lesser CPU)
N950: Summer? Fall?
Second commercial device: Early 2012 depending on sale of N950?
Given that until now, I thought the official wording was "one more MeeGo-compatible device, then WP7 only", at least there's new hope. It could still be that there's only one last GNU/Linux based device from Nokia... but, hey!, at least there's fresh speculation!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland