Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
I think the area between the screen and the case can become slightly loose over time, introducing a creaking sound if you hold the phone and squeeze it slightly. That's what's happened with my wife's phone it appears.

The Following User Says Thank You to noetus For This Useful Post:
my screen now makes a very slight pop sound if you firmly press the center, almost like it is not fully seated in the body.
it comes and goes.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokiaToad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NokiaToad View Post
my screen now makes a very slight pop sound if you firmly press the center, almost like it is not fully seated in the body.
it comes and goes.
I wonder what the substructure is made out of. I would think Polycarbonate would be less or more affected by temperature change (I'm thinking less), but if the substructure if metal (and plastic PCB) and the glass cover is... glass... then we have a whole bunch of components expanding and contracting at different rates. Combine that with a unibody design and I can see what we have some creaking. Obviously they probably engineered tolerances. Like I indicated, I can live with it. I'd rather have a phone that creaks but I can drop and not worry about it shattering, than a phone that doesn't creak but is so fragile to any drops/stresses.

Obviously, Polycarbonate has some flexibility in it, which makes it sturdy... .because, right, if something is less flexible, it has a tendency to shatter/dent/break when stressed (eg when dropped). Lol I remember years ago, taking my Polycarbonate water bottle and SLAMMING it from a height of at least 5 feet into concrete, the thing bounced, scratched a bit, but otherwise no permanent damage. I can't say I can do the same with my Stainless Steel water bottles... at least without a big ol' dent (I've dropped a couple from waist height).

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Innsbruck, Austria
I mentioned the same sounds when i press the body a few mm under the on/off button :-( I have the feeling that the display isn't 100% fitted into the body.

The Following User Says Thank You to RockOn_23 For This Useful Post:
What make is your device, where did you get it from?

The Following User Says Thank You to dolphins For This Useful Post:
I get creaking with my N9 also when squeezing it from left & right sides inwards, more prevelant towards the upper 1/3 of the body. N9 is sourced from Singapore and lives in HK... around 25C today.

I also noticed a small gap between top of glass and frame maybe 0.5mm (worried about it being a dust magnet). It is, however, flush to glass on the sides and bottom edges. Almost like the glass is too short for the frame. Perhaps this tolerance is needed to fit the unit into the body.

Anyone else have this?

The Following User Says Thank You to dymaxion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
I'm also experiencing creaking around the lower half, both sides I think.
Removing the (very nice) silicon case makes no change.

I tried ignoring this for a while but it occurs so often during normal usage it's quite unsettling. I also notice there is some movement between glass and polycarbonate body, which I suspect may be the cause. Maybe the adhesive holding the two has come off?

I didn't have this issue with my first 64GB (Austrian batch which suffered from chronic reboot/crashes) and so have arranged an exchange.

I really didn't want to do this as I'm really liking this phone but it's difficult to have confidence in the current unit, so thought it would be better to deal with it now than when it potentially leads to a bigger problem later and have to deal with Nokia Warranty (who finally replaced my N900 with USB detached fault with another N900 after first providing me an E7).

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ NJ, USA
I have the same thing with my N9. It seems to happen when I press the sides of the phone and the top. This is definitely the sound between the body and the screen. I started to notice it much more when I was putting it in to my new Nokialeather case that's really tight. Bothered me a little till I saw this thread. I guess i am not the only one

The Following User Says Thank You to lennyk1313 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK
Mine creaks too, i think it has been made worst because its in the cover!

when you push the power button, it feels like you have to push it harder as its very tightly protected by the case! and you sort of push on the case and button at the same time. If you use your nail its easier but early pushing has probably caused the creaking!

The Following User Says Thank You to Grazy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Grazy View Post
Mine creaks too, i think it has been made worst because its in the cover!

when you push the power button, it feels like you have to push it harder as its very tightly protected by the case! and you sort of push on the case and button at the same time. If you use your nail its easier but early pushing has probably caused the creaking!
That's also my impression. They should've flattened the case more at this point.

The Following User Says Thank You to Niwakame For This Useful Post: