Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK
Hi,

I have a Denmark version of the N9 with a UK adaptor.

How long should it take to charge? Mine seems to take between 2 and half hours to 3 hours from completely dead!

The first 30% is done within 30 minutes (as i have power saving mode on at 30% and it wakes up making the low battery noise!)

The plug is warm to touch while charging and gets cooler nearing the end!

I thought the N9 was meant to be relatively fast charging as my girlfriends iphone only seems to take an hour!

thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: Just did some readings during the charge, i get

30% in 30 minutes
57% in 1 hour
90% in 1h50m
97% in 2h30m
100% in 2h40m

seems to slow down! I'm sure this is normal, but it does seem like a long time to charge!

Last edited by Grazy; 2011-11-14 at 11:55.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Well, there is another side of the equation - life time of the battery. The faster you charge it (i.e. the higher current is used for charging), the faster battery capacity is degrading (this is relative of course).

The battery is not very easily replaceable in Lankku - you need to partially disassemble device to reach it and for doing that some certain skills are needed. So, the less frequent will be the need to do that, the easier will be it's owner's life.

And yes, the speed of charging is decreasing as the charge is closing to the full capacity.

Comparing to N900 (which has an easily replaceable battery and, thus, higher charging current), N9 takes more time to charge, but leaving both on a wall charger over the night gives no noticeable difference. At least for me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ototo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
I just got a kindle and it came with a 1.8amp charger.
If I connect this to the n9, will it current limit itself to 1Amp just like the normal charger. I know batteries are charged with constant current. But the hardware may CONTROl the current internally to its liking, considering nokia is an excellent engineering company, I am sure they have a internal limiter. Can anyone CONFIRM?

I confirm, I use my white Kindle power cord (is not really "a charger", is just a USB cable with a detachable outlet plug) to charge my Nokia N9 and everything is fine.

Disclaimer: KINDLE 3, the one with the keyboard, purchased last year. Proceed at your own risk.

It doesn't matter because this was standardised last year or 2, when most electronic makers decided to use this micro usb-charger model across all devices they make.

Originally Posted by rdelfin View Post
I confirm, I use my white Kindle power cord (is not really "a charger", is just a USB cable with a detachable outlet plug) to charge my Nokia N9 and everything is fine.

Disclaimer: KINDLE 3, the one with the keyboard, purchased last year. Proceed at your own risk.
The cable doesn't matter, what are you connecting it TO?

Originally Posted by dolphins View Post
It doesn't matter because this was standardised last year or 2, when most electronic makers decided to use this micro usb-charger model across all devices they make.
The connector wiring and connector type were standardized. I am just asking does the n9 do current limiting internally?
I am sure it does, buy I just don't want to ruin it, so I need some confirmation. Since I have no warranty in the US.

Oh sorry, yes to that too
It has to or it would destroy the circuit
I'm certain this has been done since years ago, so no reason to change it now

I'm using a 2.0A tablet charger (HP Touchpad) and I've noticed it charges just as slow as if I use a standard 1A charger, so I think it is doing some negotiating to throttle-down the charging rate no matter what you charger you use.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by superhyper View Post
I'm using a 2.0A tablet charger (HP Touchpad) and I've noticed it charges just as slow as if I use a standard 1A charger, so I think it is doing some negotiating to throttle-down the charging rate no matter what you charger you use.
I think some clarification is needed in regards to the term "charger" here.

Many modern batteries have a dedicated chip inside, which is controlling it's charging process, collects usage statistics and keeps track of remaining battery capacity (life time wise). Good examples of such batteries are notebook batteries. As the process of charging is controlled by that controller, which is limiting charging current (changing it in different phases of charging process), it's not possible to change charging current by using more powerful power supply. It will work other way around though - less powerful supply will limit the maximum charging current till the moment, when it dies because of overload (if it has no overload protection).

Most (if not all) modern mobile devices have charging controller built in into them (not the battery, as doing that would increase battery's size). The "charger" as we call it is in fact just a power supply. By using more powerful power supply we are changing nothing (except, maybe, the efficiency of the energy use, as usually power supplies have their maximum efficiency at their nominal load).

The term "charger" probably comes from those times, when the charging logics was inside of the external charger also for the phones. In that case, usage of the non-standard charger for a particular phone, could provide non-matching charging profile (including usage of higher current) and damage the battery this way.

On the other hand, using charger/power supply with different output voltage (especially higher then expected) will most likely lead to unpleasant results (device and/or battery damaged/destroyed, power supply damaged/destroyed, your house burned down, etc). So, that should not be ever done.

Last edited by ototo; 2011-12-21 at 04:33.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ototo For This Useful Post: