Notices

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yes, the maps are obtained from openstreetmap.org.

Originally Posted by scanman717 View Post
Great application!!! This might sound dumb, but are the maps the same that openstreetmap.org has on their website??? I ask because there is a big hole around where I live in the maps on the N810, but the maps on the website are complete...

Thanks
The maps visible on the openstreetmap.org website are raster images of the same vector data used by RoadMap. The issue you describe could be that they just haven't rendered raster images of the line data. Since RoadMap downloads the line data, and renders it's own images, no hole...

cheers,
kernelpanic

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
kernel panic, i think you got it backwards.... openstreets has the maps, roadmap on the 810 does not... is there a way to dump all the map info and re-download, or a way i can manually grab that info??

Nice, so far. But my current position is drawn about three miles west, as compared to reality and all other map apps... Sure there is no flaw in the calculations for the eastern hemisphere?

Sevo

Originally Posted by sevo View Post
Nice, so far. But my current position is drawn about three miles west, as compared to reality and all other map apps... Sure there is no flaw in the calculations for the eastern hemisphere?

Sevo
There very well could be. Previous to OSM support, the only maps were U.S. So the issue would not have been noticeable.

Questions-

Is the error Longitude only?

What is your Latitude?

(If there's an error it's likely in miscalculating distance<->degrees. As this changes with Latitude, knowing yours will help.)

cheers,
kernelpanic

Paper map, Maemo Mapper and Maps place me at about N50.097 E8.666 - Roadmap has me at N50.083333, E8.650000.

Given that the location would be about N50°05'50" E8°40'00" in DMS and is given as about N50°04'58" E8°39'00", it rather looks as if there was a one-minute-off problem in either direction - an error of that magnitude is way above GPS drift.

kernel panic, i think you got it backwards.... openstreets has the maps, roadmap on the 810 does not... is there a way to dump all the map info and re-download, or a way i can manually grab that info??
My bad. I'd try increasing the bits field in getmaps. Open RoadMap, navigate around the view until you're looking at the 'hole' and select 'Get OSM maps of current view'. When it starts downloading hit cancel, then increase the bits from 21 to 23 (or perhaps 25). If you still see the hole afterwards, post back.

Originally Posted by sevo
Paper map, Maemo Mapper and Maps place me at about N50.097 E8.666 - Roadmap has me at N50.083333, E8.650000.

Given that the location would be about N50°05'50" E8°40'00" in DMS and is given as about N50°04'58" E8°39'00", it rather looks as if there was a one-minute-off problem in either direction - an error of that magnitude is way above GPS drift.
I agree, that error is in the app. It is now officially at the top of my 'Action Items List' Thanks for reporting this. (Since I'm not in the Eastern Hemisphere I may need some help testing the fix also )

cheers,
kernelpanic

[edit] Are you running RoadMap and Maemo-Mapper at the same time and getting different coordinates? If so what coordiantes does the GPS Location CP applet give you?
[/edit]

Last edited by kernelpanic; 2008-05-14 at 22:14.

Originally Posted by sevo View Post
o.k. it's not a hemisphere issue. Its a locale issue.

In locales using a comma as the decimal separator, Roadmap will display incorrect coordinates. In fact it is wholesale dropping the last 4 digits ofthe location and replacing them with either 0s, 3s or 6s...

Expect an update within the next day or two to address this.

thanks,
kernelpanic

p.s.- This is an upstream bug which ONLY affects locales using a decimal separator other than a period. But it DOES consistently occur in such locales.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
Originally Posted by kernelpanic View Post
My bad. I'd try increasing the bits field in getmaps. Open RoadMap, navigate around the view until you're looking at the 'hole' and select 'Get OSM maps of current view'. When it starts downloading hit cancel, then increase the bits from 21 to 23 (or perhaps 25). If you still see the hole afterwards, post back.

cheers,
kernelpanic

[edit] Are you running RoadMap and Maemo-Mapper at the same time and getting different coordinates? If so what coordiantes does the GPS Location CP applet give you?
[/edit]
i tried at several bits and no luck... is there a way to completel delete anything it thimks it downloaded and start over??
bounding box i am tryimg to get is

thanks!!

i tried at several bits and no luck... is there a way to completel delete anything it thimks it downloaded and start over??
bounding box i am tryimg to get is

thanks!!
If you want to delete maps, you can just browse to your 'roadmaps' directory and delete them with the filemanager. You'll see one directory for each bitsize. (i.e. 21).

To force re-download, check the 'overwrite existing maps' box in getmaps.

For the bounding box you gave, I did see the hole at 21 bits, but not at 25...

hope this helps,
kernelpanic