Notices

Hello All,

RoadMap for Maemo is now in the Extras Repository!

Note- wget is required for route and OSM map downloads. If you have problems installing , you'll likely need to either do-

# apt-get install wget

from xterm as root. Or install in red-pill mode.

I'm looking at migrating to libcurl to ditch this dependency. But I'd rather wget was listed as a user package in the repo as RoadMap isn't the only program that uses it. [ grandcentral-dialer comes to mind...]

Anyway, 1.1.0j-2 adds support for keeping the backlight on while moving, automatic refresh of maps at downloads end to prevent having to restart the app to see new maps, and a couple of minor bug-fixes.

Post back with any problems!

cheers,
kernelpanic

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kernelpanic For This Useful Post:
Hi, can't wait to check it out.

As a side note, have you or anyone seen the Nokia Maps2.0 on their beta lab site?
It looks like a nice interface. I wonder what would be involved to get it running on the N810?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
crabolsky,

not possible. It's not open source and is written for Symbian, very different to Linux. only thing I think is similar is processor arch.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
written for Symbian, very different to Linux.
Yeah of course, for some reason I thought the n95 was linux, but of course not.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Hehe, be cool if it was. It would have better video playback :P

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Thanks, kernelpanic. Everything seems to work fine.

You were right about my osmgetbmap.php installation: it works well with not so populated areas. I will install it under a new domain and will PM it to you so you can include it in a new release as an option in case the default one is down.

Do you know if it is possible to flite to speak with Spanish accent?

Originally Posted by alephito View Post
Thanks, kernelpanic. Everything seems to work fine.
You were right about my osmgetbmap.php installation: it works well with not so populated areas.
If you download more populated areas, just use a higher bits setting. (I think I had to use 24 or 25 to get London, UK...) The max is 27. But you do want to use the minimum bits setting necessary. More bits = smaller tiles. RoadMap tries not to reproduce tile overlap, but it's not perfect. So larger tiles means the map will look slightly cleaner.
I will install it under a new domain and will PM it to you so you can include it in a new release as an option in case the default one is down.
Or you can just post here on ITT too. Eventually, once I get time to do the homepage, I'll have a list of servers posted there.
Do you know if it is possible to flite to speak with Spanish accent?
Short answer, yes (with a but...)
Long answer-
Flite's voice is compiled in. In order to create a particular voice, you must use Festival. (cool program BTW) Once you create or obtain a voice in festival, you can get the flite source, compile it yourself with the new voice.

Sounds like a pain, but it kinda makes sense for embedded apps. I'm pretty sure you can compile multiple voices in, but I haven't compiled it in a while so don't take my word for it

hope this helps,
kernelpanic

Thanks kernelpanic! Anyways, down to the bothersome questions. Are the maps downloaded to the internal mem card or the external? And can you use the navicore maps already on N810's?

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by kernelpanic View Post
Short answer, yes (with a but...)
Long answer-
Flite's voice is compiled in. In order to create a particular voice, you must use Festival. (cool program BTW) Once you create or obtain a voice in festival, you can get the flite source, compile it yourself with the new voice.

Sounds like a pain, but it kinda makes sense for embedded apps. I'm pretty sure you can compile multiple voices in, but I haven't compiled it in a while so don't take my word for it

hope this helps,
kernelpanic
Thanks, but this is my first contact with Linux and what you said is far from my possibilities.

Maybe someone else did it before. Or maybe I could take it as a personal project and take the chance to learn something new.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
Great application!!! This might sound dumb, but are the maps the same that openstreetmap.org has on their website??? I ask because there is a big hole around where I live in the maps on the N810, but the maps on the website are complete...

Thanks